A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,934
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Diamond and Smocked Baby Blanket KAL!  (Read 19560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« on: April 29, 2007 07:32:31 PM »

I know I started knitting this as soon as Nashira posted the pattern in the original thread:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=86155.0

This is a fairly simple pattern with some pretty complicated bits, and a lot of other people were asking questions and expressed interest in making it as well.

So here we go!

This is what I have so far.  I started knitting on Thursday:

Update!

Quite a few people are having from problems with the YO's in the pattern, which are referred to as WON and WRN.  Nashira was awesome and found a GREAT video that shows how to do YO's between every combination of knits and purls you could need:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9Qq__ttEMUo
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007 08:13:16 PM by fishie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
jezebel7383
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007 07:40:00 PM »

what does the wrn in the pattern mean?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007 07:53:28 PM »

w.r.n. (from knittinghelp) = wool round needle aka yarnover (yo), I think.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007 07:57:08 PM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nashira
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007 08:47:36 PM »

Shocked I inspired a knitalong?!....I couldn't be prouder! Grin

Looking forward to seeing all the blankies.... and more than happy to help with any questions there might be! Keep those blankies coming!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nashira
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007 08:50:41 PM »

Oh, and fishie... your blanket is looking beautiful! I love the colour you chose... it's very much like the other contender I had when picking the colour for my own.

Looks like you've got a pretty good handle on the pattern too! It's pretty exciting watching other people work a pattern I enjoyed so much... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fishie
she of the sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007 10:41:09 PM »

w.r.n. and w.o.n. stand for wool round needle and wool on needle respectively.  Both are just older terms for yarn overs.  I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to be doing the yo between two purl stitches, but I seem to be doing all right so far so I won't worry about it too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
lawral
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007 06:01:00 AM »

this is perfect! my best friend announced last month that she's preggers with her second and i was hoping beyond hope that the pattern for this blanket would be posted in the near enough future that i could pull it off by september. yay! now i just have to find out what colors she's going with for baby's room this go around and buy some yarn.

thank you nashira for posting the pattern and thank you fishie for starting the kal that drew my attention to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nashira
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007 09:36:16 AM »

w.r.n. and w.o.n. stand for wool round needle and wool on needle respectively.  Both are just older terms for yarn overs.  I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to be doing the yo between two purl stitches, but I seem to be doing all right so far so I won't worry about it too much.

A yo between two purl stitches is a tricky thing... when I was working out this pattern I had a very difficult time finding ANYTHING that could tell me just what the heck a yo between two purl stitches looked like...

So I came up with the method of bringing my yarn up from it's starting point on the purl side, over and back under the needle so that it was back at the front for my next purl... I'm pretty sure this is what you're supposed to do, and it came out looking fine and perfectly knittable on the other side (a problem I was having with my yo between purls)...

Is that basically what you've been doing fishie, or is there a different method that's working out?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nashira
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007 09:40:13 AM »

this is perfect! my best friend announced last month that she's preggers with her second and i was hoping beyond hope that the pattern for this blanket would be posted in the near enough future that i could pull it off by september. yay! now i just have to find out what colors she's going with for baby's room this go around and buy some yarn.

thank you nashira for posting the pattern and thank you fishie for starting the kal that drew my attention to it!

Excellent... I had taken such a long time to post this bad boy, it had basically slipped to the back of my mind... it wasn't until I started getting some pm's about it that I realized I better get it together! I'm so glad I finally did post it... there's been so many people excited to knit it!

Looking forward to seeing your blankie lawral!  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fishie
she of the sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007 11:28:42 AM »

A yo between two purl stitches is a tricky thing... when I was working out this pattern I had a very difficult time finding ANYTHING that could tell me just what the heck a yo between two purl stitches looked like...

So I came up with the method of bringing my yarn up from it's starting point on the purl side, over and back under the needle so that it was back at the front for my next purl... I'm pretty sure this is what you're supposed to do, and it came out looking fine and perfectly knittable on the other side (a problem I was having with my yo between purls)...

Is that basically what you've been doing fishie, or is there a different method that's working out?  Wink

I'd BEEN doing one that was working but was a little fishy ( Cheesy ) but then I figured out another way to do it that works a little better.  What I'm doing now is really similar to a YO between a knit and a purl; bringing the yarn towards me, around over the top (away from me) and then under the needle towards me again.  I've only been doing this for a few rows so I can't tell if it's a whole lot better than what I'd been doing, which was the reverse (around under the needle, over the needle towards me) but it looks a lot better while it's on the needle so I think I've got it!

The twins I'm knitting for are due in July... if they're on time! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Pablo Picasso Painting Sells For $45 Million
The Influence of Japanese Art on Van Gogh
The Couto Brothers Get Colorful At The Petra Gallerie
Peter Warshall on How High-Definition Makes Museums Obsolete
Amazing Japanese Doodle Mosaic Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...