A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,156
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gem Soaps and other novelties, With Tutorials  (Read 6426 times)
Tags for this thread: soap , melt_and_pour_soap , goldfish , rubber_duck , gem_soap , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: April 29, 2007 07:24:17 PM »

Here are some of my novelty mp soaps...I primarily make cp but I enjoy playing with mp sometimes, it's so fun!

Some gem soaps with gold mica streaks

Goldfish in a baggie...I know, everyone makes these, but they are awesome!

Rubber Duckie! Unfortunately I got these tubs on clearance from WSP and couldn't ever get any more. Also unfortunately the faucets had a tendancy to break off.

Thanks! Both the gems and the fish are pretty easy to do, but kind of time consuming.

Gems:
Soap chunks, clear and colored
Pour your various colors into smallish molds, or chop up bars of soap you have already made. You will also need some melted soap in each color

mica
larger gladware type container or large mold...I used one that was about 6 x 4 inches and at least 4 inches deep

Basically you want to create chunks of at least 3 colors, ranging from pale to dark. I used clear, light purple and a darker purple. I've seen it demo'd with white, light blue and dark blue. Whatever you want. You might want to make these chunks in a big process one day and actually make the gems another day. Make chunks of all different sizes, smallest being probably 1 inch square.

After you have your chunks cut out, you need to score them deeply on all sides with a fork. This take a lot of time, but it is what holds them together well. My bf was making these with me and he skipped this step or did a half a$$ job and his totally fell apart.

After you have these prepared and your melted soap in each color on hand, it's the fun part! Pour a small amount of melted soap in bottom color in your mold (mine was clear) and then randomly press clear chunks into it. Press down hard on chunks to really get them stuck in the melted soap. After creating this irregular layer, paint lightly or heavily with mica. Carefully pour on light purple melted soap (careful or the mica will wash off), and then press light purple chunks, repeat with mica, dark purple melted soap and dark purple chunks. You want to still see chunks, but they also need to run together to become one unit.

*Important: in between each layer, push down very hard on the chunks! You want them to smush into each other to look realistic as well as hold together...another step the bf skimped on!

After soap hardens and you've removed it from mold cut it into interesting chunks, cutting away the smooth edges from wherever it touched the mold. I tried to cut them so that the mica vein shows off.

It would be really neat to study real gems and make some that look authentic!

Goldfish in a bag

Here's a link to my tute with pics!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=267962.0
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011 11:09:18 AM by MareMare - Reason: to add tutorial from later in thread » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
around
mama

where are we going? why are we in this handbasket?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007 07:31:47 PM »

those are beautiful!
how do you make the soaps look like crystals?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the centuries are sprinkled with rare magic and divine creatures who help us get past the common and extraordinary ills that beset us

Favorite Craftster quote --
"Normal" is for chumps, suckers and saps. -TheMistressT
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007 07:40:47 PM »

How do you do the goldfish in a baggie? That is so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007 11:12:27 PM »

Thanks! Both the gems and the fish are pretty easy to do, but kind of time consuming.

Gems:
Soap chunks, clear and colored
Pour your various colors into smallish molds, or chop up bars of soap you have already made. You will also need some melted soap in each color

mica
larger gladware type container or large mold...I used one that was about 6 x 4 inches and at least 4 inches deep

Basically you want to create chunks of at least 3 colors, ranging from pale to dark. I used clear, light purple and a darker purple. I've seen it demo'd with white, light blue and dark blue. Whatever you want. You might want to make these chunks in a big process one day and actually make the gems another day. Make chunks of all different sizes, smallest being probably 1 inch square.

After you have your chunks cut out, you need to score them deeply on all sides with a fork. This take a lot of time, but it is what holds them together well. My bf was making these with me and he skipped this step or did a half a$$ job and his totally fell apart.

After you have these prepared and your melted soap in each color on hand, it's the fun part! Pour a small amount of melted soap in bottom color in your mold (mine was clear) and then randomly press clear chunks into it. Press down hard on chunks to really get them stuck in the melted soap. After creating this irregular layer, paint lightly or heavily with mica. Carefully pour on light purple melted soap (careful or the mica will wash off), and then press light purple chunks, repeat with mica, dark purple melted soap and dark purple chunks. You want to still see chunks, but they also need to run together to become one unit.

*Important: in between each layer, push down very hard on the chunks! You want them to smush into each other to look realistic as well as hold together...another step the bf skimped on!

After soap hardens and you've removed it from mold cut it into interesting chunks, cutting away the smooth edges from wherever it touched the mold. I tried to cut them so that the mica vein shows off.

It would be really neat to study real gems and make some that look authentic!

Goldfish in a bag

Here's a link to my tute with pics!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=267962.0
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008 06:33:31 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscute
Blimy

I live like a hermit in my own head.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007 11:48:28 PM »

i actually haven't seen goldfish soaps, but those are cute!  thanks for sharing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

talihina_sky

Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007 06:02:26 PM »

i haven't seen them [goldfish in a bag] either, but i really like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* My Wists     
* Do you have old magazines laying around that you want to get rid of? I'd love to use them! Send me a PM.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008 06:35:45 AM »

Heehee, I just found these, one of my first posts! I might modify the gem tute ( 4th post down) to add pics if I make those again anytime soon, they are fun, and I love to play with mica.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sullengal

I can not stop creating. I pray I never will.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008 01:28:30 PM »

Holy crap I'd love a tute with pictures!

I have something like this on an Amazon.com wishlist I had for years that no one withll buy for me because it's over $25.

I hate not being able to spend what it seems is the actual VALUE of the soap...since it seems time consuming...but $25+ for a bar of soap makes me sad.

Thanks again!

~Sullengal
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/sullengal
My Etsy Store - http://Omphalie.etsy.com
Ongoing Swaps :
New Moon Swap - Sent!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Do A Fishtail Braid
How to Create French Braid / Gotham Braid
How to Curl Your Hair With Straightening Iron
Hair How To: Hair Jewellery
How to Do a Crazy Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...