A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,680
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do we have in the US that they dont have in the UK?  (Read 7376 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

april_cocaine
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007 08:13:34 AM »

Mountain Dew!
I love mountain dew, but they don't sell it in the UK any more. Or Lucky Charms either.

We can get Oreo's, though they're not sold everywhere.

I looked up why Kinder Eggs were banned, and it's something to do with choking hazards. :\
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarah-

Feeling the need to crochet...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007 08:35:15 AM »

Whao Kinder Eggs are banned, how do you guys survive?!

I'm in Aberdeen Scotland and I don't really see much US candy around, mainly just Oreos really.

If anyone has seen a lot of US candy please let me know where!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah -

http://www.wists.com/sarah-
teamo.etsy.com - Miniature bears now available!

I'd love to do a personal swap! - PM me!
NewLeodensian
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007 08:39:35 AM »

Woolworth's tends to have a good supply of US candy-- they have the PB cups, Hershey bars (including Cookies and Cream), and chocolate kisses, as well as things like "Mike and Ike" sweets.  If you have a Makro membership, you can find lots of US sweets by the case there!  On the pricier side, Harvey Nicks tends to have a supply of US foods (at least the one in Leeds used to)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have a very short wist: http://www.wists.com/NewLeodensian/
anatripsis
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007 09:14:05 AM »

Oh yes, I forgot to say about Oreos in my post, you can get them too.

Also, my list is from a central belt perspective, if he doesn't live in Glasgow or Edinburgh, it might be different.

I suppose the point is though, that only some of the things in that list are common in the UK - things like tic-tacs, doctor pepper, jelly belly and and hubba bubba I wouldn't see as typically American. The other things on your list I would, as they're not so common over here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"No challenge should be faced without a little charm and a lot of style"
Bluemopitz

Crafty Library Mama

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007 10:34:32 AM »

When my sister lived in Europe (Denmark, so quite different from the UK obviously), she really missed sliced cheese--you know the cheese "product" that melts nicely for grilled cheese sandwiches.  Another thing she wanted and had trouble finding was peanut butter.  Apparently their peanut butter was more like our "natural" pb, not the good stuff  Wink 

I second the Mt. Dew idea.  I would be miserable without Mountain Dew!  Also what about something like Pop-tarts, do they have those overseas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purpleone
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007 10:39:52 AM »

Yes we have poptarts in the UK - although not the s'mores variety (how I wish they sold s'mores bars here!)  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007 12:19:06 PM »

I'm in the UK and can buy all these near me:

Altoids

I've been reliably informed that Altoids are easy, but Altoid TINS are only North American.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
tigerita
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007 01:20:04 PM »

you know what else i think is really american?  rocky road.  my parents (who still live in the states) used to have a chocolate company, and whenever i would explain to people here (i live in london) what kind of stuff they make, the concept of rocky road was ALWAYS 100% of the time met with blank looks and confusion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DogGrrl
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2007 07:12:56 PM »

When my sister lived in Edinburgh she used to ask me to send her the makings for tacos.  I would send her corn tortillas (for frying her own shells) refried beans, taco seasoning, a couple of very unripe avocados (which now that I think of it was probably illegal to send) some yummy hot sauce, etc.  She loved it!

I wouldn't send anything chocolate as their chocolate kicks our chocolate's butt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HotGlueBurns
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007 08:49:43 AM »

I second the idea of processed cheese. Velveeta is a necessity. I also had a hard time tracking down Pace chunky salsa... if you're looking to get away from the candy/chocolate theme (which I find guys never appreciate as much as we do).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Thanksgiving Turkey Pizza Recipe
Chicken Rice Casserole Recipe
How to Make Pot Roast
Brooklyn Pizza and Egg Cream With Marty Markowitz
How to Make Chili With Chilies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...