A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wallets!  (Read 1907 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Martyx9
« on: April 28, 2007 03:04:49 PM »

so there was this wallet demo on soemwebsite (now long forgotten) on how to make a wallet out of a piece of paper in under 2 min's so I go a little carried away and made 3 that I don't need Smiley
here's all 3:

here's my favorite map 1:

and here's the wallpaper one:

and the inside of it:

AWESOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spifferifikness
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007 03:41:59 PM »

those are soo cool. using a map was a great idea.

i just went and googled it and found this video. is it what you used?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/543776/the_two_minutes_paper_wallet/

[=
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Martyx9
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007 06:15:57 PM »

yep! thats it! so ingenious!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007 03:29:06 PM »

Cool, I'll have to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
very_vizsla
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007 10:57:10 PM »

they remind me of the stuff that i used to make when i was a kid..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is too short to wear a boring dog collar - Custom made handbeaded dog collars & martingale collars
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007 01:45:50 PM »

I played the video for a small group of my 8th grade students ("Can you make something just by watching what someone is doing?") and more than half of them were able to get the wallets made. I had several, "This is stupid!" comments and "Why can't we have written directions?" (Answer: Because you guys never read directions, and that isn't the point of the exercise!), but those were from the kids who didn't pay enough attention.

I did pause it after each step to allow them all to carry it out and stay caught up (otherwise they would have been throwing paper, rulers and scissors at me Cheesy ). We used plain paper (actually that greyish brown "math paper" that is pretty close to newsprint) and a few of the kids decorated theirs afterwards and were quite pleased with themselves.

I might make one out of an old magazine page, or the Sunday funnies and bring it in to show them to see if I can convince some of them to try again. Maybe if I tell them I'll post pics of their wallets on the site, they'll be happy!

Thanks for sharing this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Martyx9
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007 02:23:27 PM »

that's so awesome! what a good idea! I'm a social science education major myself Smiley
i'm glad your brought DIY into the classroom!! Smiley
martha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007 03:17:18 PM »

I always try to bring DIY into the classroom- we tried the mod podge silk screen technique, but I bought the wrong kind of fabric and it was a dismal failure  Cry

I just dug out an old calendar, so I'm going to try to make a wallet out of that. I'll post a pic as soon as my camera battery re-charges!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Martyx9
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007 04:37:49 PM »

there is a mod podge silk skreening technique?
you should teach them to crochet or embroider! It'd be a great mother's day present for them to make. I dunno if the boys would like it tho =/ Smiley You should REALLY try bookbinding, I just posted another thing about some books I made, they were SUPER easy and I pretty much just taught myself. I'm sure if u looked under my posts u could find it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007 05:53:24 PM »

Check this out for mod podge silkscreen info- there's probably more, but I only did a quick search: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=100839.0

And I taught crochet to several kids in my homeroom, including many boys (more boys working on it now than girls, I think- they'd rather crochet and chat instead of doing any silent reading). We're making Snuggle blankets for a local no-kill cat shelter.

And, I'll have to give a thought to bookbinding- maybe I can have them write out a "how-to" for something that they know how to do, and then I can make a bunch of copies of the pages, and then each kid can bind their own copy- each "how-to" will be its own chapter...hmmm...sounds like a plan...thanks for the idea!

But back to wallets! I whipped up 2- one with a page from an old frog calendar and one from a page from an old road atlas. And, after doing the frog one, I realized that if you want a cool picture on the outside, you need to plan how you are going to cut the paper. I think I need to fold one, label it, and unfold it and use it as a placement-planning template. My frog ended up inside the wallet where the bills go  Cry Good thing I picked my least favorite page as a practice one. My camera battery is still charging, so pics will have to wait until tomorrow...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Up-Do Hair Style
Learn About Curling Irons
Learn About Flat Irons
Learn About Hair Coloring Tools
Learn About Hair Foils
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...