A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How the HECK do I put one of these together?  (Read 1130 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

r3dh3d
« on: April 28, 2007 12:02:24 PM »

My eldest has a little top which I love on her - she has some posture issues so a little pot belly but oddly looks fine in this.  So although it is waaaaay more complex than I would usually attempt (cos I is simple) I'd really like to copy it. 

But I'm stumped as to how to put it together.  It's reversible with cross-over straps at the back.  There are side seams, centre back seam and seams at the top of the shoulder strap.  Hang on, see the pics....

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3189/dsc00041dn8.jpg
So that's the front, with the flowery side out.  Turn it inside out and turn it over and this is the back with the crossover straps. 
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/856/dsc00040px1.jpg

I have worked out that they probably sewed the two layers together at the bottom last.  And that the topstitching around the arm/neck seam was done after the side and back seams were put together.  Other than that HuhHuh? It's like one of those optical illusion pictures, just trying to work out what order to do which seams in is making my head spin! 

Has anyone made something similar before and can advise?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onemoreseam
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007 01:35:48 PM »

Ooo!  I love making reversible stuff!   Grin

Usually you start by sewing almost 2 complete items and then you place the 2 items RS together and sew around the neck & arm holes.  Like you said, you need to leave an opening somewhere to turn it.  A lot of times it's through the shoulders but I hate to do it that way so I don't! LOL   I find it too hard to shove an entire top through a teeny tiny shoulder seam.  Anyway to finish off you close the hole by hand.  Topstitching after keeps the layers from shifting. 

Is the ruffle reversible?  I've never done anything like that....  I think you'd have to first sew the bottom seam of the ruffle (RS tog), then turn & press, next do your gathering across the top of the now reversible ruffle piece.  Turn up the seam allowance/bottom hem on each layer of the top & press in place.  Then I'd sandwich the ruffle in between the 2 layers of shirt and topstitch the ruffle in place.  Honestly, I'd probably look for some kind of lace or trim that was reversible (or could pass as such) because I think it would be a pain in the you know what.  I guess you could also baste the ruffle onto one layer before sewing the 2 layers together (see below) and make sure you don't catch it when you sew the 2 layers.  That's probably the "right" way to do it.  I just know when I went to turn it I'd have a mess though.   Roll Eyes  Baste baste baste.

For the tops, I would sew each layer separately at the back & side seams (could you cut on a fold and do away w/the back seam?).  Then pin them RS together and sew around the neck & arms and most of the bottom.  So for example, you'd start on one strap sew down & around the front neck edge and up the other strap.  Don't close up the short seam at the ends of the straps.  Leave a hole on the bottom edge and turn the shirt through the hole.  Hand stitch the hole shut (or do the cheater way like me and topstitch it shut Wink ).  Cross the straps in back and hand stitch them shut at the shoulder seam.

Not sure about the shirring under the arm....  I'm not sure you'd shirr one layer and then turn and topstitch around the elastic on the other side or wedge the elastic in after turning and shirr through the 2 layers or if they are each done separately.  I'd have to see the stitching to make a guess.

If something doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try again.  Just take it slow the first time and baste if you aren't sure whether you'll be able to turn the item properly.  It's really cool once you've actually done it!  Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hooseanna
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007 12:52:42 AM »

Hi, this is a link to a pattern, if it is any help?
http://www.sewbaby.com/big/patterns10_/sb-10.html
looks double sided/reversable in the picture.
good luck, I've always been tempted by them, but never attempted one.  I drafted the pattern at stopped there.  let's see a picture when you are finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onemoreseam
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007 07:40:24 AM »

I found a photo tutorial!  Ah the joys of procrastinating on laundry...

Steps 10- 15 are the relevant photos.  It's a vest but you'd use the same process.  Obviously, you'd sew left back shoulder to front right and vice versa to make straps criss-cross.  I didn't mention it yesterday but you want to be sure you press everything really well and clip the curves well before turning.  The iron is your friend for this type of project!  Here's the tute:

http://www.burdastyle.com/howto/show/48

I also had a thought yesterday after I posted that if you don't want it reversible, you can use bias tape to finish the edges.  If you use double fold tape, you'd sandwich the cut edges inside the tape and topstitch (you could use matching or contrasting tape).  If you use single fold, you sew it RS tog and then you fold the tape to the wrong side and topstich in place.  I'd use matching in that case because you will see it a bit when she lifts her arms, etc. 

Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Four Unique Cranberry Sauce Recipes
How To Turn Your Thanksgiving Leftovers Into Cajun Turkey Pasta
Where Holiday Cranberries Are Coming From
Use It or Lose It: How Long to Keep Thanksgiving Leftovers
Fryer Vs. Oven: How To Prepare Your Thanksgiving Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...