A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Alternative to garter stitch on the log cabin blanket?  (Read 1092 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arabella
« on: April 27, 2007 11:55:37 PM »

hi!  I want to try the log cabin or moderne blanket from Mason Dixon Knits, but I'm not crazy about the garter stitch look... is it not possible to do it in stockinette because of curling?  any other suggestions?  the only thing I could think of is seed stitch (?) which I would like to avoid as k1,p1 will take forever. 

thanks in advance for any suggestions!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007 11:56:05 PM by arabella » THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenoftroy
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007 06:40:55 AM »

check out a stitch dictionary

any pattern that has balanced k and p will work.
waffle, littel pendant, basket weave, chevron, there are hundred of knit and purl patterns.

even the 4 row:
K
K
K
P
2 rows stocking knit, 2 rows garter will work. (half as many purl rows as standard garter!)

you could even do each block in a the same color and a different stitch, making a sampler of stitches. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007 08:09:02 AM »

Is it knit in strips and sewn together?  You could do it alternating stockinette and reverse stockinette.  That'd give a semblance of the garter stitch stability, but a really interesting texture.  I think garter stitch was probably chosen for ease and because it is reversible and doesn't roll.  The outer edges of the blanket would roll if you did stockinette and reverse stockinette, but it looks like the edging might help that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Phisch
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007 09:18:34 AM »

Hi Arabela, the baby moderne is done in garter stitch which is k st all the way, no purls anywhere at all. It was a pretty quick thing for me to knit because of that. Plus they ended up nice and thick.

If you do stockinette, you could try doing it with a border of a row or two of single crochet along the edges. That's pretty easy to learn if you don't know how. After doing one row, you can see if it stays flat.

Maybe it's even possible to pick up stitches along the edges and do ribbing for 1" or 1.5"? Then you just do miters at the corners maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ye ol' blog: http://www.inthatnumber.com
Also found lurking at: http://phisch.vox.com
arabella
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007 11:42:27 AM »

thanks you guys!  really helpful.  I just ordered a stitch dictionary from Amazon and knowing to look for balanced knit and purl is really helpful.   I do know basket stitch, but once I did a scarf in it and it rolls at the sides.  but maybe I did it wrong.  Or maybe I will just do it in stockinette and do a crochet edging... I know how to crochet so that's easy.  maybe I'll swatch it out to check, although of course that interferes with my plan of doing things the lazy way. 

thank you!  (and keep any other ideas coming!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Is There A Natural Way To Plump Up Your Lips?
Faux Bob and Structured Jacket = Instant Makeover
Beauty Hack: 3 New Ways to Use Moisturizer
How to Style a Bun
DIY Dry Skin Treatments
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...