A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
338 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What am I Doing Wrong?? *NOW WITH PICTURE*  (Read 1795 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 27, 2007 09:17:19 PM »

HELP!  I've been trying to knit a 2x2 ribbed scarf for two days straight.

rather, i've been trying to *START* it...  the problem is, i've never done purl stitches before, and though i've consulted craftster, several online knitting sites, and my s&b book, i can't seem to get it.  what i should be getting looks like:

--VV--VV--VV

right?  and what i'm getting looks.... like a mess.  no real V shapes, but not exactly just dashes, either.  here's what i'm doing, hopefully it'll make sense: 

i'm bringing the yarn up front, putting the needle down through the top of the stitch from right to left, wrapping the loose yarn around, then pulling a new stitch through.  i suspect that the putting the needle down through the top is where i'm going wrong, but i've also tried it a few different ways with varied, but wrong, results.

i really hope someone can give me some tips or point out what i'm doing wrong - is this hopeless?  advice, please! 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007 03:22:46 PM by ruby_soho » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007 09:47:46 PM »

I'm pretty sure there's a video on knittinghelp.com on 2x2 ribbing. Have you tried that yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007 09:48:21 PM »

picture?

How many rows have you  tried?  It will often take 3+ rows before you begin to see the ribbing as a beginner.

Are you moving the yarn between the ks & ps?  Are you leaving the yarn all on one side (common mistake)?

How many stitches are you trying? (If the number doesn't match up, you will get a moss stitch instead of ribbing)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007 09:53:26 PM »

i tried the video on knittinghelp.com...

i've tried about 5 rows, but maybe it'll take longer??

i've been doing 20 stitches per row and being really careful to make knits on top of knits and purls on top of purls...

i'll try a few more rows and take a picture if it's still not working out.

ETA:  what do you mean by leaving the yarn all on one side?  i'm not sure if i'm doing this... could you elaborate?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007 09:55:09 PM by ruby_soho » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007 10:05:08 PM »

When you do ribbing you need to make sure the yarn is in the back when you knit, then just before you purl, bring the yarn to the front (and just before knit sts again, yarn to back).

I didn't know about moving the yarn when I tried my first k & p sts--I figured it out when I went to consult my library book on a project I had left for a while and noticed how different it looked when I moved the yarn.  Tongue

If you're knitting flat, when you are on the wrong side, you actually need to make sure you're doing the opposite st (like for stockinette, think of ribbing as small strips of stockinette).  purl the purls and knit the knits actually means when you're on the wrong side, knit over purl and purl over knits--otherwide it's all garter st!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007 10:09:32 PM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaucamolegreetings
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007 11:16:34 PM »

Are you sure you are doing the stitches in the right order on the wrong side.  I mean, if you first row is...

kkppkkppkkppkkppkkpp

Then your second row should be the same, also

kkppkkppkkppkkppkkpp

If you start with the knit stitches on one side and purl on the other, it will not be 2x2 ribbing.  I think that is what knittinfiasco was saying too.

Another thing is, when you purl are you wrapping the yarn around the right way?  That is the only other thing I could think of.  I guess same with the knit stitches too.

Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kpuppy
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007 11:32:11 PM »

I just want to add to what gaucamolegreetings said:

kkppkkppkkppkkppkkppkkpp then you will turn your work, and the purls turn into knits, does that make sense? so the --vv--vv is reversed on the reverse side of the work, like vv--vv--.

Now, when you first start, it takes quite a few rows before you can really start seeing the knits and purls enough that you don't really have to think about when to knit and when to purl, you know?

Also, make sure your yarn is behind your work when you are knitting and in front (pull it to the front between the two needles) when you purl. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soobeeoz
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007 11:38:56 PM »

The way I read it is that you are bringing the yarn to the front, then putting the needle down through the stitch when you should be putting it up through the stitch from right to left.  At this stage the right hand needle will be on top of the left needle,  pointing upwards and to the left.  It's a little hard to explain, so hope I haven't confused you further.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please feel free to check out my Dating and Tiffany Ring blogs.  A few more are listed on my profile page.  Smiley

http://www.safedatings.com

http://www.cheapweddingringssets.com
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007 03:22:14 PM »

okay, this time i did the same as last, only instead of going down through the stitch, i'm going up through it, from right to left.  here are my results, hope you can see them.

it still looks like i'm just knitting.  this is so frustrating!  what am i doing??

i've been making sure to pull the yarn to the front before doing a purl stitch and i'm making sure i'm making purls on purls and knits on knits.  can you help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007 03:34:03 PM »

to me it looks like you've been working the front and back like they're both the front

you've been going
vv--vv-- on the right side and vv--vv-- again on the wrong side..
which matches them up as
vv--vv--
--vv--vv
if you look from the front
if you go front vv--vv-- be sure to INVERSE the back
that way when you look at the front it will be
vv--vv--
vv--vv--

I'm not an experienced knitteyr though, but if you've mastered stockinette stitch this is probably your problem
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Collecting Sports Cards
What Sports Cards Should I Collect
Maintaining, Protecting and Displaying Your Sports Card Collection
Selling a Vintage Sports Card Collection
Determining the Value of a Vintage Sports Card Collection
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...