A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: creative ways to make crocheted purse straps non-stretchy and sturdy?  (Read 6707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leesespieces
lisa a crochet!

"lisa's going to decorate it" - dirty dancing =)

View Profile WWW
« on: April 27, 2007 06:29:43 PM »

i'm working on a mod for the fat bottom bag from SnB with a crocheted strap handle, and i'm trying to think of a not-tacky way to make the handle not stretchy, because i HATE that feeling. any new ideas in that department???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007 06:34:06 PM »

could you hand stitch a length of webbing to the shoulder strap? You would be able to have the crochet strap on top of the webbing and the webbing would give it strngth and durability.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rina
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007 10:33:30 PM »

I've crocheted a tube, stuck a webbing strap through it, and then stitched the webbing ends to the crochet fabric.  That's a bit bulky, though.  I've also seen nifty solutions where you take pretty fabric and stitch it to the inside of the handle. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my yarncraft blog, RedCrochet.wordpress.com
jennye

Knowledge is good.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007 08:48:29 AM »

I've also seen nifty solutions where you take pretty fabric and stitch it to the inside of the handle.

I've done that, and it turns out very sturdy.  I've also done a handle that's an open, ladder-like stitch with a ribbon woven through it.  Pics and tute here - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=36046.0.  Just make sure you sew it down really well - I tend to carry a heavy load in my purse, and the handle snapped off once!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Infinite Annie
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007 11:25:03 AM »

My mom says the trick is to crochet a thin crochet thread along with the yarn you are using.  Something like an Aunt Lydia's brand.  The kind of thing you make doilies out of. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
decarillion
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007 12:32:31 PM »

Can also try crocheting around cloth clothesline. If you do two lengths of it, you can then join them with yet another row of stitching...This works well for making basket handles (Easter baskets, etc.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coffeenomore

Poochiemama RIP 02/07/94-10/20/07

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007 03:58:23 PM »

When I make a purse ,for each handle , I crochet 2 straps,(total of 4 )  I then sew a ribbon  a little smaller than the  width of the strap to one of the straps. then sc around both straps. This adds strength, and the handles don't stretch out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moecantsew

I am a scientist who crafts or is it the other way

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007 11:51:54 AM »

what I tried that seems to work well is to make a single crochet strap (chain about 10 or 2X width you want), to the length you want.  Then I use my sewing machine on the longest stitches and fold the strap in half width wise, stitch all the way up and down both sides.  I also use the machine to attach to the bag, but I suppose you could crochet it on.  I just worry about those stitches stretching. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
R3n331
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007 03:16:34 AM »

On my bags I crochet the strap twice as wide as i want it then I fold in half and sc all the way down(Ends up being double Ply) and turn right side out b4 stitching to bag, Works great for me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007 01:30:19 PM »

On some water bottle cozies I made, I used the thicker crochet thread for the entire thing.

To make the strap I single crocheted in one direction, made a second row coming back across. Turned it and went all around the outside doing a stitch (I just know it has a name) where I would yo and pull it through, go to the next stitch, yo and pull through - it makes a neat and very tight stitch that has no stretch and also gives a finished look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Research Experience Informs Design Career
How SCAD Alumna Finds First Job and Builds Design Career
Lawrence Nield on the Impact of Skyscrapers
A Guide to Henna Body Art
A Guide to Mehndi Henna Designs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...