A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,209
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 4/27  (Read 3321 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007 09:50:53 AM »

Oh, wow, Bixby!!!   Shocked  That is gorgeous, and what a heap o' skeins!

All we need now is Laura22's mannequin head laughing in the middle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
LUBEE
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007 09:52:47 AM »

~bixby2~ wow you must have been spinning like crazy!
~grayling40~ i love the unnamed one it looks like fluffy sherbet
and for me only one this week
it is 99% alpaca with some merino thrown in along with some crystal, beads and acorns.
i wanted it to look like a tree branch.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010 03:22:20 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laamissa
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007 09:56:12 AM »

Happy Friday All!

Here's "Spring In NY"  208 Yards!!  Spun singles in Merino:

Knitwit:  I always admire your colors and singles consistency!  The colors are so fabulous and bright!  what kind of dyes do you use?

I Love Fiber Fridays! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007 10:05:56 AM »

wow everyone, beautiful yarns!  I don't have anything in skein format, but i do have some on my bobbin.  i'll have to post later, but for now i just wanted to pop in and say i love everything!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitwit

The cookie thief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007 10:17:04 AM »

Knitwit:  I always admire your colors and singles consistency!  The colors are so fabulous and bright!  what kind of dyes do you use?

Thanks Laamissa! I love your 'spring in ny' yarn... so pretty!

I mostly use food coloring that I buy in giant bottles from a restaurant supplier. I also use kool-aid and wiltons too. I blend a lot of colors from all three sources. I know I should upgrade to professional acid dyes but I like the results I'm getting and I love being able to dye in my kitchen with my regular pots and things. I can't get a good black this way, so I usually buy black roving too. The other colors I can get myself through trial and error. Lots of error, actually!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feralfeminine
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007 10:41:05 AM »

My spinning this week...

Tatiana, 280 yds of handspun bamboo in green, purple, pink, yellow, and blue.

Joan, two matching skeins of self-striping merino wool yarn. This yarn was spun from roving that was handpainted in a series of colors that never repeat. I split the roving down the center and spun two nearly identical skeins - they both will self-stripe in the same color sequence, with no repeats. The colors in this yarn are (in the order they occur): pale blue, teal/green, yellow, peach, purple, pink, brown, and mustard/olive.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/472738186_3e34d6796a.jpg

Fletch, inspired by a day of playing in the grass with my bunny. Merino in shades of blue and green, a pinch of blue mohair, grey angora from my rabbit, and grassy green novelty yarn. Lots of candystriping colors. (The parts where the angora and the novelty yarn overlap are the best - it looks like bunnies hiding in the grass)

I also put together a bunch more learn-to-spin sets with woodburned drop spindles:

The two flowery drop spindles have leaves on the underside of the whorl.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011 04:57:55 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rubysdaughter

My wheel is a Fricke 160DT.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007 11:29:42 AM »

Here's mine!  I wasn't sure how I wanted to finish this roving so I did a small sample skein andean plied.  I like the depth of the colors (I did a random dye job) once they rest on each other.   It's a 19 micron superwash merino and it basically spun itself.  I love how easy this stuff is to spin! 

I call it Andes Mint!  Green and white mint sandwiched by yummy chocolate
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HunterJumper33
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007 12:10:23 PM »

Loving all the fiber this week!!

I spun this up this week.  It is an Almost Solid sampler pack from Spunky Eclectic in all Merino.  There are 20 different colors there in 1 oz skeins.

i want!!!! i love all of the colors. I wish i could have something fun to show but i am still working with the same fibers.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007 12:29:24 PM by vanillaxlight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop Rosemary Lane Design: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RosemaryLaneDesign
cha.cha.cha.
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007 12:20:46 PM »

Rubysdaughter, I had a yarn called andes mint too!
Lubee- that picture is precious!

The colors are so amazing this week, I love what everyone's doing and envy all of your natural light. It's gross out here, but fortunately, I've been snapping away all week!
Here's an experiment with spinning thick 'n thin:

I've also been enjoying plying it really tightly together- it makes an impractically heavy yarn, but I love the way it looks:

And here's my billionth attempt at coming up with lavender. It's still not lavender. Oi.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog!  http://nomoresweaters.blogspot.com

how do you catch a unique squirrel?............. u-nique up on it.
mistress_batty
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007 03:17:38 PM »

Here are the two I made this week <3

this is 'carnival'....in person it sparkles...sadly that doesn't show up in the picture

this is 'seedling'...this was soo quick to spin. I don't know if I just got into the spindle groove or what but I was shocked at how quick and smooth it went. The colors are a little off in this picture. The green isn't so pale..it's more of a gorgeous yellow green and the other color is brown. Sadly the picture is showing it as some weird purple like color. I also strung wooden beads onto it. My 'seeds'.

Does anyone have any suggestions about taking pictures of their yarn? Best places, light, etc. for close to the actual color of the yarn....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Excerpt from A Farewell to Arms By Ernest Hemingway
How to Get a Literary Agent
Marjorie Celona Discusses Her Novel Y
Lenore Appelhans Discusses Her Novel Level 2
Mini Biography of William Shakespeare
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...