A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,669
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Laptop sized cozy *TUTORIAL ADDED*  (Read 7697 times)
Tags for this thread: bettie_page , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 26, 2007 04:58:33 PM »

Eek!  I am so excited!

It all started with a swap I was in, the cozy the world swap.  My partner wanted a cozy for something about the size of a laptop.  (to give you some scale.)  Well, I found this hot little picture of one Betty Page and I was trying to put it onto the cozy in an accurate, true to the picture kind of way.  (Please note, no iron-pon transfers were used in the making of this story)

Here is the cozy:

It is fully lined, yada yada...

But the real excitement is in the pic of Betty.  Well in my pursuit I sat and thought about how to do this...  And... I thought why o why can I just print it out on the fabric?
 So I cut a piece the size of a sheet of paper, loaded it, *closed eyes here*, and pressed the print button... And...

(Please ignore the sub-par machine embroidery, yarn embroidered corduroy and my machine don't mix.)  But my printer and fabric does!

Check it out!

I DID NOT use special fabric (I used muslin), or special ink, or anything!  And if you have interest in this I don't mind making a tutorial, just let me know!  I know it has changed my crafting world!

Edit to add tutorial:

First you'll need to gather your supplies, lightweight cotton fabric that will show image.  (I like muslin a lot)  Freezer Paper, A piece of regular paper, and fav pair of scissors, cutting tool, etc.

Next take the fabric, freezer paper, and piece of paper and sandwich them together to cut, with the piece of paper on the top. And cut the fabric and freezer paper to the same size as the piece of printing paper.  Next, take the fabric and the freezer paper and iron them together with the shiny side of the paper ironed to the fabric side.  You should have something that looks like this:

Next find your image you would like to print and set it to print small enough to fit on the page, and print a test page on regular printing paper to make sure everything is good.  At this step you will want to watch how your printer prints (face up or down).  If everything is good (I recommend trying to get it to print in the middle of the page is possible)  Then load your Paper!

Print again!  Here is the one I printed for the tutorial next to my sample print on regular paper:

Press it with an iron, and even a wet towel to help and steam set it, finally peel the freezer paper off and you are done!  Use however you like!  Patches, pictures, postcards, etc!

* I know that there have been questions about the washing ability.  I am going to cut this one picture up tommorrow and try some different methods so we can see which one is the best.*  (I feel a little guilty about cutting up my daughter's face, but eeh?  if it's for crafter, I think she'll understand)

Thanks so much and this is my first tutorial so please let me know what you think!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007 10:04:48 AM by jMi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007 05:08:48 PM »

How awesome!

I'm going to buy some muslin and try this sometimes, thanks so much for the cozy and the awesome technique!

Hm, it might not be a good idea for something that needs to be washed because printer ink would probably bleed... maybe there's waterproof ink out there somewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
rozekitten

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007 05:11:39 PM »

Well your going to be my expert on this, since of course, I tried it out on you, but I hit it with a pretty damp towel and iron after I did it and it didn't bleed.  I also ironed it several times on med-high heat as well.  I'll hae to send some more through and test it out in the washer and dryer, but something is telling me it will be washable.  I'll check it out and let you know!

Grin
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007 05:42:03 AM by rozekitten » THIS ROCKS   Logged

khraene
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007 05:36:38 PM »

That's terribly exciting! I'm going to try that some time and see how it goes :] What kind of printer did you use, inkjet or laser? I hope it works with color printers.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007 05:39:21 PM by khraene » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dishwasher182
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007 05:44:00 PM »

wow -very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whitameg
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007 05:49:04 PM »

Have you washed it?  Did it bleed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rozekitten

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007 10:44:57 PM »

That's terribly exciting! I'm going to try that some time and see how it goes :] What kind of printer did you use, inkjet or laser? I hope it works with color printers.

I am so excited that you like it!  It was your plain old inkjet printer (I ggot mine at Target a year ago for like $100+/-.  To give an idea.)  Nothing fancy!  I can write up a tutorial  this weekend if you want.  I think I might have lucked out the first time, but I thik with easy (and cheap) revisions I can make guarentee's!
Have you washed it?  Did it bleed?

Havent washed it yet, but I have a project this weekend, same on for the tute, that I can wash first and see?  Can you wait just a couple of days?

I am SOOO excited about this!  Why haven't I thought of trying it before?  My mom has been sewing for almost 50 years!  I called her to tell her about it, and well we were both so stunned that we just sat....  thinking of all the... POSSIBILITIES!  Hooray!  I'm so glad that you guys have been excited about it too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

khraene
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007 03:16:04 AM »

Oh good, inkjet. That means it'll probably print in color (since I have a color inkjet and a b/w laser printer) (: Yeah, a tutorial would be excellent Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WYOKrista

I love sunflowers

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007 06:33:15 AM »

Oh super cool!  I might try that, but I have a history of not getting along with printers, not sure how hubby would react if I broke one this way...but it might be worth it.... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YES! I would love to be your Creative Memories Consultant! Just ask
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007 06:52:22 AM »

really neat Smiley but I'd advice no one try this with a laser, because laser heats up the .. powdery stuff... a LOT.. so some fabric may get singed or start melty-curly.
And watch out for stray threads when you run fabric through the machine, because threads in the wheels will have the printer chew itself to pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Papier Mache Art
How to Brick Stitch Patterns
How to Fly Stitch Horizontally and Vertically
How to Design Cross Stitch Patterns
How to Stitch Folded Edges
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...