A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Austin-bound!  (Read 1289 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nrrdatron
« on: April 26, 2007 10:09:01 AM »

I'd like to move out of stinky, superficial Los Angeles at the end of the year. While I'd like to move back to my dream city, San Francisco, it's much too expensive for my means. My next two contenders are Austin or Portland...

Both cities seem to have the crafty resources I seek. What I'm trying to determine now is which city could offer the work opportunities I seek and the professional growth I need to become a theater/film costume designer/stylist and an independent clothing designer. I am willing to take an office day job in the meantime...will these be easy to obtain?

I'd also like to be able to feel like I'm (or can easily be) part of a community while using my car as little as possible. Which neighborhoods should I look into?

Any insights? Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Raindancing
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007 03:02:32 PM »

I can't speak to the theater/film industry, other than as a spectator, but as for office work, I never had trouble finding a day job-- mostly I signed on with a temp agancy, and almost always got an offer to stay perm. (But I was a kick-ass administrative assistant-- maybe not everyone gets the perm offers, but still, it's a paycheck.)

As for neighborhoods-- go South Austin!  "78704: It's not just a zip code, it's a state of mind" is a popular bumper sticker.  And it's true!
The real estate prices are zooming up if you're thinking of buying, and renting houses is getting more expensive too, but there are still several reasonably priced apartment options.

When my fiance and I decided to live together, I moved out of my lovely south austin apartment and to (gasp) the SUBURBS!   (Well, it seemed unreasonable to insist that he sell his house and move into my one-bedroom apartment.) I really am anxious to get back to a neighborhood with character, but that's going to mean waiting until we can afford a house down there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007 03:10:37 PM »

i grew up in 78750, upper northwest corner of austin, definitely not a walking distance neighborhood, you are really going to want to look downtown or in south austin if you want to be able to walk/ride the bus anywhere, i live in san marcos now and i spend a lot of time on congress, tons of fun stuff to do and see
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
katielee
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007 03:57:07 PM »

Hi there!   Smiley

I moved to Austin from Chicago in January.  I am an artist (mostly painting) currently building up a new body of work to submit to galleries/shows.  I haven't shown anything in a couple years, so I am looking forward to jumping back in the art scene with some new work. 

I work at the Capitol as a runner/clerk; I got the job through a temp agency the first day I applied, but if you check on craigslist austin there are always quite a few of admin/office opportunities.  If you would like to PM me, I can send you information on some local temp agencies as well; raindancing was right, there are plenty of day jobs to choose from. 

The South Congress area is way cool, but I found it to be (for home+studio space) a little pricey, so I ended up finding a *lovely* house on the East Side, north of Town Lake.  It's about a 5-7 minute drive downtown, and I commute by bus to work, which takes (at most) 15-20 minutes.  Bus passes are also $10/month ($5 if you're a student), and the extra 2 miles/day I walk to/from bus stops does not hurt either.  Wink  Ideally I would love to buy a place in the next couple of years; I will probably stay on the East Side.

Okay, I will write more tomorrow, off workie in 4 minutes.   Grin

Cheers!

kl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

take back your own tonight.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
After Effects Tutorial - Making a Space Explosion
3DS Max 9 Tutorial - Creating a Sky
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.7
After Effects Tutorial - Making a Space Explosion
How to Resculpt with Filter Manipulations
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...