A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving To Portland!  (Read 6475 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nrrdatron
« on: April 26, 2007 10:03:24 AM »

I'd like to move out of stinky, superficial Los Angeles at the end of the year. While I'd like to move back to my dream city, San Francisco, it's much too expensive for my means. My next two contenders are Austin, TX or Portland...

Both cities seem to have the crafty resources I seek. What I'm trying to determine now is which city could offer the work opportunities I seek and the professional growth I need to become a theater/film costume designer/stylist and an independent clothing designer. I am willing to take an office day job in the meantime...will these be easy to obtain?

I'd also like to be able to feel like I'm (or can easily be) part of a community, while using my car as little as possible.

Any insights? Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007 09:45:59 AM »

Portland does have a growing theater community, so there might be some opportunities there. And the job market does seem to be good right now. Check out Oregonlive.com or Craigslist for jobs information. As far as not using your car much, I have been without a car for almost three years this round and ten before that. Portland does have a great mass transit system.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007 08:59:40 AM »

Portland has an excellent transit system and it's fairly small enough to meet people but still has a city feel to it. Portland's independent designers have SO many options here. Tons of fashion shows, stores, fairs to sell and show your wears. Just know that it rains here 6-9 months out of the year. I like the rain but it might be a bummer for some people. I vote for Portland!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MopTopStumptown
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007 07:43:28 PM »

Well, if you pick Portland then you'll be near Mills End Fabric and The Fabric Depot.  It's stunningly beautiful in Portland so inspiration shouldn't be hard to come by.  Oh, and there isn't a sales tax in Oregon.  Not sure if you care about that, but it's always been a perk to me.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

destroyed_sweater
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007 12:49:28 PM »

I'm going the same thing.  I am from northern California, I currently live in San Diego, and I'm moving to Portland in September when I finish college.  I have visited twice and there is a huge DIY community which isn't present in southern California.  Plus as a city planner (what I'm getting my degree in), I love their public transit, lack of sprawl, and comparably affordable housing.  But your list of 3 cities sounds just like mine. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christycakes
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007 08:18:08 PM »

What I'm trying to determine now is which city could offer the work opportunities I seek and the professional growth I need to become a theater/film costume designer/stylist and an independent clothing designer. I am willing to take an office day job in the meantime...will these be easy to obtain?

Are you me? Because you have me in a nutshell right there. I just moved out of the LA area to Portland. I don't have a job yet, and I don't really know anyone so its been interesting Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007 08:23:07 PM »

Welcome Christycakes! You should try to make it to the next craftster's meet up. Hope you are finding your way around town okay and finding some cool places. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007 11:56:13 AM »

welcome to The Fair City of Many Nicknames.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
BreadnBadger

Badgers give me strength

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007 12:34:42 PM »

I'm also on my way to Portland (from Boston)! There should be a support group for transplants like us. Wink

My husband and I are moving there in the springtime, when my business is slow. We don't know anyone who lives there, but when we visited last Feb. we met a lot of friendly folks right away. It would be a lot easier to facilitate a move if we had friends to stay with while we looked for an apartment and knew people to show us around, but I think we'll do fine.

Any advice is appreciated though. Any idea how long it might take us to find an apartment? We're going to fly out in Jan. or Feb. for a week so we can follow up on whatever Craigslist has to offer, but I keep thinking there must be more to it than that...

Thanks in advance to anyone with helpful tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.breadandbadger.com
Modern hand-etched glass homegoods and pendants

http://www.breadandbadger.etsy.com
Etsy shop for Bread and Badger

http://www.silversquirrel.etsy.com
Discounted handmade jewelry--Home of the Giant Goldfish Pendant!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007 07:34:06 PM »

We need to have a transplant group. I'm from North Carolina (I've been out here for over 10 years though). What kind of stuff do you like/are into?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vegan Man Finds the Best Vegan Pizza in L.A.
How to Roast Sticky, Saucy Ribs with Curtis Stone
How to Make a Delicious Open-Faced Sandwich
Super Bowl Recipes: Halftime Feast
Crafting the Perfect Super Bowl Chicken Wing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...