A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: need help promoting my website(free if possible)  (Read 1853 times)
Tags for this thread: advertising  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeha
« on: April 25, 2007 08:53:17 PM »

I recently opened my online store and I know I need to let people know it is there if I am going to sell anything. So my question is what are some ways to get the word out, preferably free or at least cheap
so far I have used
myspace, bust mag, craigslist, indie collective, link exchanges

What else is out there?

Thanks for any info
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007 10:06:23 PM »

do you put up business cards on the bulletin boards outside of the bigger stores?
I also put them up on the community bulletin boards where ever they are. With photos of your work I'm sure you  would get calls. What about putting some on display in knitting stores, coffee shops?
This will bring more local folks to your web site as well.
I'm not actually thinking just internet business to get people to your site.
What about calling a local newpaper and have them do an article or press release on your work. Different than an advertising ad. Hope this helps spark an idea or two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeha
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007 07:30:37 AM »

Those are some great suggestions. I forgot about coffee shop bulletin boards. I was just thinking cyberspace.

Thanks
I am working on a flyer right now
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007 01:31:37 PM »

Have you knocked on any doors of local sewing/craft shops to see if they would sell your product? That's free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007 02:46:27 PM »

1. Be sure to visit the link exchange thread.

2. Consider offering a pair for a craft challenge prize.

3. Submit your site to craft and general directories - free links!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007 10:09:09 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

purplepixi
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007 05:38:51 AM »

Make sure you do all the web good stuff.

Use meta tags on all your pages: such as description (give a 3 scentence overview of the page), key words (give a list of key words for your page, don't over do it though, don't repeat the same word more than 3 times), use the revisit tag to tell search engine spiders to come back every X amount of days.

Don't use frame pages, very bad for SEO (search engine optimisation).

Submit to the big 3, once (yahoo, msn and google). Don't do it more times. But instead get lots of good in-bound links, that way the spiders will crawl to you and you'll get listed. The more good in-bound links you have the more traffic you'll recieved, and the higher you'll be in the search engines, try and make them relevant but not competitive e.g. you sell knitting patterns, don't get links from other kitting pattern sellers, get links from people who sell or dye yarn, who sell finished knitted wear etc.

Use page titles - make sure you use your keyword in them, e.g. don't call your index.html "home page", call it knitting lover's pattern (knitting is just an example)

Then use your key word (e.g. knitting) as much as you can without over doing it in that page. 10% of your page should be your key word.

And keep adding content. Just because you've got a store doesn't mean you can't have info pages. Add them when you can but regularly, they could be about you, about the uses of your product, caring for your products etc. Search engines like content.

This is all basic SEO, my first web site was a non-profit website about cats (completely not craft related), I didn't pay for any online promotion, no flyers, no business card, no anything really. I just used good SEO, and then used Google Adsense to earn a bit of cash. I now get $45 a month just off click throughs on the ads on my site, it's a nice little site that just ticks over, and earns me some pocket money. I update when I can, although cat information doesn't change very often.

These are basic things that you can do long term to promote your sight, you won't see results over night (you need paid adversting for that), but it will keep you going with a steady flow of visitors that are looking for your products.

Hope that's useful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007 11:42:52 AM »

That is very useful! I was looking for some of this info myself, and that's why I was reading this topic. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
busspass

I *heart* Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007 08:01:02 AM »

Make sure to hand out business cardfs to all your friends and family. You can get free business cards at Vista Print. I've used them before, you just pay for shipping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007 08:03:11 PM »

I don't know where i heard this but someone was saying they stick their business cards in library books or maybe it was other magazines or something like that.
But i had a real estate agent come into the store where I work and said she had free bookmarks for us to put into the books we sold. She had basically redesigned her business card into a book mark laminated them and punched a hole in the top and put some ribbon through the hole! My boss said no but what a great idea!  drop some off at a used book store or local book store I'm sure chapters and indigo wouldn't be willing but I think you might get some interest that way
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crumpet79

Never quite sure what I'm going to make next...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007 06:05:41 PM »

You can also submit your own site to websites like http://craftytips.com or http://bust.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Curry Chicken Salad
How to Make Chili Cinnamon Salmon with Mango Salsa Part 1/2
How to Make Parmesan Tuiles
Savoury Cheese Ball Recipe
Cheesy Pizza Dip Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...