A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet scarf - how to  (Read 1630 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

poordumbbird

i was a kaleidoscope

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2004 08:55:18 AM »

Well I figured ive got this knitting dealy pretty sorted so Im determined to learn crochet

I think Ive got the chain stitch sorted out and am working on the single crochet thing but Ive got a few questions

1) How the heck do I get past my first row?

2) How would you go about making something like this?

Ive been watching the stitchguide videos and while in theroy theyre great, I think their a bit fast for my idiot mind to contemplate  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
livilovesolives
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004 09:21:29 AM »

I'm pretty sure that scarf was knit - either using gigantic needles or a dropped stitch technique.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catherine625
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004 09:55:33 AM »

I agree, those are knit scarves.  i'm not super good at crocheting, but when you make your first chain dealy, you just turn it around in your hand and start going the other way.  a single crochet is pretty easy, inn fact its the only stitch I can figure out, thats why I knit instead. Wink you just stick your hook though the first stitch, then grab your yarn with the hook and pull it through the stitch. you'll have two loops on your hook, so you grab the yarn again and pull it through both loops. and you'll have a stitch, and one loop on your hook, and repeat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them."
                -Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004 10:03:17 AM »

I agree, those scarves are definately knittted.
But, to help you out with the crocheting, to get past the first row:
When you get to the end of the row, and you've finished your last single crochet, chain one, turn the piece around so you're looking at the other side, and single crochet in the last single crochet in the row before.  It's a little different for each different kind of stitch, but there are always what are called "turning chains".  The single crochet stitch needs one chain.  These are important, when I first started out, I skipped them and it just won't work.  You've got to chain to get to the hieght that the next row will be.  Anyway, the stitchguide videos will help a lot if you just keep watching them, I think it'll come to the point that it will just click for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
poordumbbird

i was a kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004 11:11:15 AM »

Thanks for the help!

I cant believe those are knit scarves I was pretty sure the description said crochet so I never even bothered trying (although they do look kind of knit i just figured it was some crochet thing i didnt understand!) lol On big needles I could whip something like that up in no time LOL

I get back to you on how the crochet goes! One day Ill be able to make one of those oh so pretty flowers  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purple_octopus
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004 01:16:21 PM »

I'm pretty sure that scarf was knit - either using gigantic needles or a dropped stitch technique.

It looks like big needles, but doesn't look like dropped stitches to me.  If you're dead set on those exact scarves:  it looks like knit two (or possibly three) rows, purl one row, knit two (or three) rows, purl one row, etc...  Notice how they are folded over on themselves, so we cannot see what the "wrong" side looks like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dansk
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004 12:25:45 PM »

I was looking for a crochet scarf pattern last night and found this: http://members.aol.com/JSchlossma/osscarf.html

I tried the pattern as it is and it seemed pretty skinny so I just doubled it. I am half way done with it and it's looking really good so far. It has a kind of raised horizontal row pattern like the knit scarves you posted. Maybe if you used a big hook and loosened your stitch it would probably look similar?

This stitch reminds me of what my mom and her friends used to make potholders out of. I feel so proud that "I can do it too!!!"

Will post pix when I am finished! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Horse Power
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004 04:35:28 AM »

Regarding the Stitch Guide videos going by too fast:
There's the arrow button on the left you click to play, the button that travels across the bottom during play, and two arrow keys pointing left and right on the right.You can grab the traveling button with the mouse and control the speed it advances, or you can click on the pause buttons on the right and go forward or backward frame by frame.

As for those scarves, here's a sample of the drop stitch that I put on my knitting-sampler scarf that I'm making in the New Knitters Knitalong thread (I used #10 needles):

Looks pretty similar to me. I got the instructions from here (and there's a video!):

http://www.diynet.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3125592,00.html

About the crochet: keep at it! Beppycat explained it great. Try finding different instruction books until you find a good one.  I did figure it out from books many years ago, so it can be done.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004 04:42:25 AM by Horse Power » THIS ROCKS   Logged

poordumbbird

i was a kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004 05:08:57 AM »

Thanks for the link!

As far as the crocet goes I can now make a square in single and double crocet (although Im probably not doing it right!)

I was planning on starting a scarf, but I just cant decide if I like the crocet scarf look as much as the knit look
LOL I just dont know what to do with my new skill apart from make lots of pointless squares out of scrap yarn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why Texas Is the Mecca for BBQ
How to Make Whole-Grain Skillet Cornbread
Learn to Make One-Pot Turkey Skillet Pie
New Orleans Style Muffaletta Sandwich Recipe
Tex-Mex Tuna Salad Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...