A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nom de plume (pen name)  (Read 854 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JoanieM6
« on: April 24, 2007 03:43:35 PM »

I was wondering if anyone knows if it OK to use a nom de plume (a pen name) on the (craft business) web site I'm trying to build? My real name is Joanie McGuiness but it is so long and doesn't exactly have an artistic feel to it. I would like to use Joanie James instead. (My moms name is Joan too and my dads name was James so I thought it would be a good choice) But will this cause legal issues if I introduce myself on my website in the "about me" section as Joanie James. I haven't changed my name legally and have no intention of doing so. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tiny_viking
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007 09:14:13 AM »

Dont know the legailty of it.

But I use a pen name as i HATE my reall name Smiley And i do so on my crafts too most of the time Smiley but i supose its like having a band name or a buisness name you coudl proably call yourslef what you like Cheesy

So will watch this post with interest!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NewLeodensian
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007 09:21:08 AM »

I don't know the legality of it either, but I would think that you could call yourself whatever you like provided your business information is in your right (legal name).  I wouldn't think it wouldn't any different than using a nickname (e.g. if your name is Elizabeth Smith and you go by Liz Smith) or like people who don't change their name after marriage for professional reasons but refer to themselves as Mrs. Hislastname in social circles.

Hopefully you will get someone who knows for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have a very short wist: http://www.wists.com/NewLeodensian/
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007 09:22:47 AM »

The only problem I could possibly see is if someone wrote you a check made out to "Joanie James". (I like that name!)

If you don't take checks, you got no problem  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007 01:29:00 PM »

If you file a dba as your new name, this does NOT cover your personal name, and if you're going to become this new person I can imagine there will be some sort of legal issues. You should ask a lawyer, IMO. Better to take care of the details now than dig out of a big mess later. You could always legally change your name, but if you're young you don't know this but you can in fact have regrets later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tiny_viking
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007 04:27:21 PM »

Cheque wise, over here you just talk to your bank, and its pretty simple, its just like having cheques cashed for a busness name or what ever Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoanieM6
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007 06:02:08 PM »

I'm not really planning to take checks (I have already signed up with a service to take credit cards at shows using a touch tone cell phone) they will send the payments to my (Joanie McGuiness) bank account. So money matters are not the issue. I am also applying for my state sales tax # under my real name. I just want to use the Joanie James name on my web site and business cards. And I will be using "Seaside Gardens Decor" as my company name.

Craftychef you mentioned filing a dba as my new name. What is a dba. (I always pay careful attention to your posts you seem to have infinite knowledge in all crafting matters and have answered many of my questions through reading other peoples posts) 

Thanks every one for the help and I'm glad you like my nom de plume ScotSkipper402
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007 05:57:10 AM »

A dba is "doing business as", which could also be called an assumed name or ficticious name. (It all depends on what your state decides to call it!) Filing one is usually around $25, and you have to publish the name in a legal paper (basically you place an ad). Believe me, once you file a name, you'll get tons of offers to publish. Take the cheapest one! Your local newspaper is probably way overpriced.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The New Yorker Gets Refreshed
Geoff Dyer Talks with Rebecca Mead
The Dark Side of Modern Fiction
Alternative Realities in Fiction
A Visit with Joyce Carol Oates
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...