A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Best Fog Chiller - A Tutorial  (Read 84633 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , halloween_decoration , halloween  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TrentSketch
« on: April 24, 2007 09:41:07 AM »

One of my must have Halloween yard decoration tools is a fog chiller.  The purpose is to create an eerie, low laying, rolling fog effect that always earns accolades on the big night.

There are some (limited) commercial models, and they are ridiculously over priced for use once a year.  There are instructions all over the Internet for how to make your own, but they all involve a whole lot of tools, dry ice, and professional quality smoke machines.  Well no more.

I've designed and built three different fog chillers at this point, and finally found a design that I fell in love with.

Supplies:
fog machine (with timer, you really can't use one where you have to press a button to start it for this)
large storage tub
PVC pipe
Drill with some kind of circular cutting bit
and for the big night: lots of ice, enough to fill the tub with some left over to account for melting

A bit of very simple fog machine theory and safety to get started: the machine heats up the specially designed liquid to the point that it is between a liquid and a gas, sort of like a vapor.  Which means that the fog is much warmer than you would think, but cools down pretty quickly when it hits the exposed air.  The fog still tends to shoot up quite a bit and not move much and normally dissipates only a few feet from the machine.  It's also easily blown around at this phase.

However, were the fog to be cooled down in a contained area immediately after being produced, the fog would stay much closer to the ground, and travel much farther, because the external force of exposed air will not be able to cause as fast a change.  This results in long lasting, continually spouting rolling fog that covers your entire lawn and very well may cover your entire neighborhood with a low rolling fog anywhere from a few inches to two feet high, depending on proximity to the machine and wind conditions.

For safety purposes, when that machine is running, stay away from any exposed metal parts - you WILL get burned.  It takes a lot of heat to get that fog rolling, and the metal parts do become extremely hot.

On to the tutorial.

1. Measure the size of the metal ring on your fog machine (the part that shoots out the fog) and purchase PVC pipe just wide enough to slide over the ring.

2. Cut a length (your choice) of PVC pipe to guide the fog into the storage tub.  Just remember, the goal is to slow down the fog before it hits the air.  A longer stretch of PVC pipe will slow it down faster, but will be harder to work with.  The fog chiller pictured above had about a 2 foot length of PVC pipe.

3.  Find some kind of drill bit slightly smaller than the width of your PVC pipe.  There are many varieties of circular bits.  The best would most likely be a step drill bit, but they are the most expensive option.  The next step down would be a spade drill bit, and that would work just fine.

Whatever bit you choose, drill a hole near the bottom of the narrower side of the storage tub.  Then drill 1 or 2 holes near the top of the opposite side of the storage tub.  These holes release the fog into the air, and should be near the top so that when the tub is filled with ice, the fog has to travel through the ice to reach the holes and get out).  I strongly recommend finding someone to help you with this step, since these tubs can be very difficult to drill through.  It is a time consuming step, but one that is worth it.

There is an alternate way I wound up switching to when I broke the only bit I had the right size for the job.  Draw a circle slightly larger the size you need on the tub, then drill a hole with a regular bit pretty close to center.  Working with a sharp X-Acto knife, cut 4 to 8 lines through the tub to various points on the outside of the circle.

Step 4: Push the length of PVC pipe that you cut in step 2 through the hole near the bottom of the tub and secure with epoxy, plumber's putty, or even the all mighty king of adhesives: Duct tape.  There should be a snug fit to ensure that as small an amount of fog as possible is lost when the machine is running.  Try to keep the inserted end of the pipe as close the bottom of the tub as possible (I'm actually going to try cutting the PVC on an angle to aim more of the fog towards the bottom this year) to allow for maximum chill time.

Step 5: Decorate your fog chiller.  Either make it so that it is hidden from sight (mine is green because it was going to be hidden among some bushes), or design it to be a set piece in and of itself (a fire breathing dragon perhaps? a cauldron? you are only limited by your imagination here).

Step 6: Test it.  Put the lid on securely (don't tape it shut as you do need to get in there to add more ice as necessary on Halloween; be warned, when you do open it, you will get a face full of fog, and it will take a few minutes to get the fog going again, but if you run it for more than a few hours, you will need to add more ice or the effect will become progressively worse)  Just run the machine for a few minutes without ice to see if there are any leaks in your system.  Also test various locations in your yard to see how the architecture and wind conditions impact the direction of the fog.  You don't want to just send all of your hard work rolling into your neighbor's yard, do you?  If you have the time, pick up three or four bags of ice to see how the cooling affects fog direction/strength.  Don't open the bags, just toss them in, that way you can save them for Halloween night.

Step 7: The Big Night.  Load that sucker up with bags of ice (you don't even need to open them) and set your timer to shoot off maybe once ever 45 seconds to a minute, maybe less, maybe more; you'll be able to see pretty quickly if it needs further adjustment.  The fog will go into the tub and will very slowly roll out of the two higher holes.  The remainder will stay trapped in the tub and be far more dense than the first few minutes.  Add some colored spot lights aimed very low at the machine from various points throughout the yard (last year I dedicated three lights to this: one opposite the machine in the front of the yard, one right next to the machine and aiming away from the yard, and one aiming straight past the machine, but any light you aim low will add an eerie hue to the proceedings) and presto! Instant ambiance that makes even cheaper store bought decorations look creepy.

This shot was taken with only three bags of ice in the machine and already the fog moved slower and did not go nearly as high.  Without the chiller, the fog would shoot straight up past the second story windows.

A long post, but worth it if you get through it.  Enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007 09:46:47 AM by TrentSketch » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MADness323
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007 03:03:53 PM »

Wow, thats amazing! And very helpful, I was thinking of throwing some sort of "I miss Halloween" party back in March, and this just inspired me to continue planning it! I never even thought about how to make fog stay down (Hmmmm, is that how they do it on stages and stuff at shows and plays?...)

You are teh smartness. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the earth was without form or glory.

MissGobby.etsy.com
TrentSketch
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007 03:18:56 PM »

Hmmmm, is that how they do it on stages and stuff at shows and plays?
I have experience with that as well.  Pretty much, yeah, but it's those specialty fog machines I mentioned, and they have a far higher capacity output, hence how it can easily flood the whole stage and begin to roll off into the audience. 

If you planned on using something like this inside, it probably would be best to use the hand operated fog machine control, so that you can regulate how much was rolling around the house.  Though I envision a glorious indoor party with the fog chiller perched at the top of the stairs, just out of view, and a slow moving continued flow of fog crawling down the stairs, with the timer set to the maximum gap between blasts.  That would be awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sylvieonabun
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007 05:34:08 PM »

I'm excited to see someone else is already thinking about Halloween too !!!
This looks like a great idea, I'm bookmarking this!

BTW, This weekend is unhalloween.. you know, like an unbirthday from Alice in Wonderland... my friends and I may or may not be celebrating by going to a club on Friday in full costume...  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TrentSketch
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007 07:59:57 PM »

I'm excited to see someone else is already thinking about Halloween too !!!
Thinking about it?  I already had diagrams drawn up for yard-pieces by November 1.  I cannot wait to start major construction (or in some cases, reconstruction) on the big pieces when I move back home from my dorm room.  I already have the family planting more flowers, plants, fruits, and vegetables than ever before for the theme, now officially called "Inside the Eternal Garden of Midnight".  But I'll leave that there, for now.  I will say that thanks to the design and location of our property (long and narrow, on top of a hill) that I will be setting up 2 fog chillers this year to really get the party started. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TrentSketch
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007 06:21:55 AM »

Considering Halloween is less than 3 months away Shocked, I figured it would be all right to reply to this otherwise dead thread because apparently most people aren't worrying about Halloween in April.

Besides, the materials are on the shelves now, so why not start working on it in August so you have more time for crafty costumes and home made outdoor decorations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennibeth
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007 07:12:03 AM »

This is GREAT! I'm throwing an indoor halloween party and renting out a function hall for it. This would be perfect, I'm going to try it out! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LifeInNeon
Ich heie Superphantastisch!

"Shes never even seen her box!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007 10:11:32 PM »

wow this is the exact kinda thing ive been looking for.
does anyone here know how to hook up some sort of timer to a button press fog machine? because thats the kind i have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The scissors have learned to run on their own, I fear this might be fatal.
TrentSketch
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007 07:22:12 PM »

I wish I could help you out with that LifeInNeon, but I'm really not sure how you could get around that.  I'm sure there's some way to hack the hardware to run off of a timer, but that's well beyond my skills.

You could use a push button one if you set it up close to your door.  It won't be as steady, but the fog really gets stuck in the tub and trickles out at a nice pace even when it gets shut off.  The timer is more so you can get those nice waves of fog, but if you could keep your eye on it with a push button system it could work as well.

And I don't know if you can make heads or tales of this description, but someone else used a different kind of timer to control their fog chiller.  I'm specifically referring to the second comment all the way at the bottom.

I don't trust myself with anything more complicated than LED circuits, flood lights, and fog machines with timers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amy214
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007 07:06:10 AM »

A Styrofoam cooler is good for this too, easier to cut, keeps the ice cool longer (still warm here in October) and still lasts for years. My Hubby used an old vacuum cleaner hose instead of pvc pipe and sealed the cracks with hot glue. Careful if you use fog machines inside, too much fog will set off some smoke detectors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Outfits to Inspire Your Coachella Attire
Ways To Wear White Pants
The Cutout Look Is Perfect For Spring
Head-to-Toe Fashions For Less Than $50
How To Wear Trendy Short Suits
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...