A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My floating sewing room!  (Read 5492 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« on: April 24, 2007 04:51:41 AM »

Backstory: My boyfriend and I bought a 103 foot long Dutch barge that was formerly a hotel for canoeing holidays a few months ago. A skipper helped us bring it across the North Sea from Holland to London, and we're now living in it on the Thames near Tower Bridge. If you'd like to know more about our boat, our blog is here. Now on to the room at hand...

After a bit of hard labour with some power tools and brute force, I was able to clear three of the little hotel rooms on the boat two weekends ago. One became a walk-in wardrobe, one will very shortly become my boyfriend's office, and the third blossomed into my (temporary) sewing room (all the little hotel room walls will be ripped out to make way for our living room, two bedrooms, and two en-suites. The fate of a sewing room in the new plans is still unclear!).

I finally got it the way I wanted it last night and even had a few minutes spare to sew the initial darts and seams on this tunic top from the March 2007 issue of Burda WOF magazine. But let's move on to a tour of my sewing room, since this is probably the tidiest it'll ever be...

Here's the overview shot of the whole room. It's about the size of two single beds side-by-side, with light coming from two halogen lamps and the porthole (which puts out a surprising amount of light during the day).

It wasn't worth painting walls or laying down nice flooring for a temporary room, so I opted to use storage solutions that could be easily moved later on. I needed a place to keep all the bits of a project at hand, but with a lack of surfaces, I opted for the clothesline approach, which I love. It keeps the pieces handy and within reach, but out of my way, and provides a nice bit of changing wall art at the same time!

A small amount of shelving was leftover from the hotel room, so I made good use of these, organising my magazines and patterns on the middle shelf (and using cardboard separators to group like patterns together), and managing to store all my fabric stash in two clear plastic storage boxes underneath. One contains full measures of cloth, and the other has partial pieces leftover from other projects. I'm actively trying to reduce my stash, so it'll be my own personal challenge to keep it contained in those two boxes!

Finally, I got to unpack the pattern hooks and hanging rack I got for Christmas and used it to keep frequently-sewn pattern pieces at easy reach. Currently on the rack are things like the button-down shirt pattern sized for my boy, an every day tank top pattern sized for me, a pocket template I use for inserting into side seams, and the pieces from my current project as I don't need them any further.

So what do you think? Do you see anywhere I can improve my use of a small space? What organisation tips do use use in your craft rooms?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007 05:41:53 AM »

Wow! First of all, I'm a bit jealous of your awesome living accomodations! Growing up on the coast, the idea of a houseboat-type thing has always fascinated me.

I think your organization techniques are superb for the space that you have. Everything in reach, yet tucked out of the way.

And, here's hoping that you get a desiganted space when the renovations are completed! Think of all of the cool things you could sew to decorate your abode! Plus, you need to make some way cool clothing appropriate for entertaining. I'll be checking out your blog to see how things are progressing Wink

ETA: Okay, I just read through your blog and I'm a bit less jealous Wink - What a load of hard work (and the bit about your first attempt at a crossing was heartbreaking) you've dealt with so far! Fortunately, you don't have to go it alone, which is so much nicer! Here's hoping the obstacles become smaller as the project progresses!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007 06:01:42 AM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
reese52
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007 08:28:54 AM »

Love the sewing room, but I am more impressed w/ the house boat.  How cool is that ?!?!  I had the opportunity to go to London in 2005 and visited the Tower of London.  It was a great vacation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

southern5footer
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007 08:45:38 AM »

I just spent way too much time at work reading your blog... Smiley
Your story, boat and sewing room are all amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007 09:06:18 AM »

aww, thanks everyone! Glad I could provide ample distraction... Wink

Yeah, the boat's a lot of hard work, especially now at the beginning, but we're both really committed to it and know how we want it to be in a few years' time, interior-wise. And we'll be completely debt-free in 6 years, which is saying a lot when  most people my age who are on the housing ladder at all in London have 40+ year mortgages. Sad

It's going to be fun getting into more home dec stuff once the renovations get to that point. I've done loooooads of fashion sewing but hardly any interior stuff before!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missjesswinkwink
'Ginger did everything Fred did; only she did it backwards and in high heels'

Howdy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007 12:34:39 PM »

what an amazing story... what a great way to live!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.rockinbclothing .com
------------------
www.rockinbdesign.b logspot.com
------------------
Night Train Swing Dance Club!
www.swingpurdue.org
------------------
moonmom
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007 03:17:55 PM »

Ahoy captain, that looks splendid. Well, gee someone had to drop off a corny line.  I think you are wise and lucky. I love that you have the line up for you in progress project. Very neat idea and i might have to steal it. I am across the pond and will give you total credit, if that's okay. lol
 I'll be waiting to see that tunic, what a great top.  Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christycakes
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007 11:18:56 PM »

That's so rad. Have any pictures of the boat?

Oh and squirellypoo, I wanted to thank you personally for recommending craftster to me (from SA)  Smiley it's been life changing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007 02:33:20 AM »

I love that you have the line up for you in progress project. Very neat idea and i might have to steal it. I am across the pond and will give you total credit, if that's okay. lol
Go right ahead! It was mostly because we had about 30 of those hooks spread across all the hotel rooms, and they have to come off before we take down any walls anyway, so I figured I might as well put two to good use!

That's so rad. Have any pictures of the boat?
Yeah, there's a bunch on our blog but here's a full length shot from when it was in Holland:

Oh and squirellypoo, I wanted to thank you personally for recommending craftster to me (from SA)  Smiley it's been life changing!
Aww, I'm glad I could help! (and we're planning a big Ask/Tell thread on boat buying/living along with another guy in Bristol pretty soon, too...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xCielx
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007 08:53:49 AM »

really nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rules for Playing Beer Pong
Playing Beer Pong
No Opponent in Backgammon
Bearing in to Win a Race in Backgammon
Bearing in to Save Gammon in Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...