A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Basic Cable from...SNB Nation!!!  (Read 19036 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , cable_hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ambrrdawn
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2005 10:08:01 PM »

I made one too! I decided to take everyone's advice for big headed people and repeat the cables two extra times, but then when I got to that point I realized that it still probably wouldn't come down as far as I wanted. So I had six cables before the decreases. Yep, big head. Cheesy
Here it is:

This is a pretty good picture of the color, purple Manos:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. ~Confucius

My knitting blog:
http://hugsandstitches.blogspirit.com/
TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2005 10:42:29 PM »

Everyone's hats look so great!! Here's one I made:

It was originally intended for the cute guy (my fiance John) but it was too small.  While we were in UT visiting (John's first time to meet my HUGE extended family) my cousin's little girl was crying, long day for a little tike. John picked her up (he's so good with children) and she stopped crying.  We gave her the hat just cause it looked so damn cute on here, and no fit issues as she has a little noggin.

Okay, here's one more cute picture!

I agree with adding extra cables, too.  For the next bunch of hat's I made with this pattern, I did 2 extra rounds and it fit most peoples heads really well!  This project is a great intro to cabling.  It was my first, and I am now totally obsessed.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 02:13:25 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holy flipping cow. I changed my profile picture after 4 years on here.

Love Alpacas?  Go visit: Alpaca Love Club
Come visit my website!  www.madebytess.com
joannabanana
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2005 09:11:15 AM »

How I wish that I had read this thread before I started the hat.

I, too, thought that it looked really small in the pattern, so I added 6 rows in the cabling section, and when I finished, it was still WAY too small.

So I'm sending it to one of my nieces, since it's a gorgeous hat and a beautiful pattern.

I am going to focus on the positive, which is that it is such an easy pattern to modify that, when I do make the hat again, it will be an easy fix.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luv2stitch

Sometimes it's knit and sometimes it's crochet.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2005 07:55:36 AM »

Everyone's Basic cabled hats look so good. I'm glad I read about how everyone is able to alter the sizing of the hats. That's what I love about Craftster. I wanted to make these but they looked really small in the book but now that I see how easy it is to make it bigger, I'm going to give it a try. I really enjoy seeing how first time knitters and beginners are able to do the patterns from the book. The results are amazing. When I learned to knit a ton of years ago, I only managed a garter stitch scarf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachel e.
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2005 08:29:08 AM »

wow!! that looks soooooooooooooo good!!
i've been scared of the cable stitch... thought that it would require too much concentration... but it looks so good!!  i'll have to try it...

xox rachel e.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizbot

is it just me or is it getting awesome in here?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2006 03:09:36 PM »

here's mine. I made it for my bro's fiance for xmas. I used some yarn I picked up at a thrift store for next to nothing, it seems to be some kind of wool/mohair blend. Next time I think I'll use something a bit thicker...  Anyway, having never tried cables I was shocked at how easy this hat was. It only took me 2 nights to knit up!
oh yeah, I added 2 or 3 repeats of the cable pattern to make the hat bigger thanks to the advice I read in this thread.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nightbird
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2006 06:24:51 PM »

I recently finished mine too!

I had some problems with the last stitch in the cable being very baggy, so I went through and tightened them up by gently tugging on the surrounding stitches.  later on in the hat, I tried knitting the last cable stitch through the back loop (k tbl) and that seemed to help quite a bit, so I think I'll be doing that in the future.

I think I did something funny with my ribbing... on the other pictures I've seen, it lines up nicely with the cables.  mine's all over the place.  ah well.

I made a few modifications to this hat.  I like long hats that completely cover my ears, so I added three rows of ribbing to the bottom... and then after reading this thread, I added two repeats of the cable pattern before I started decreasing.  looking back, I could have just done two extra cable repeats and not added more ribbing, but it's still a good length for me so I'm happy. 

I used KnitPicks Andean Silk in Cranberry - one complete ball and then a little bit of another.  I also used my new Denise needles for the majority of the hat - size 7 and 8 - and I'm very pleased with them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am something of a dreamer.
knitter, spinner, tatter, crocheter
linda63pt
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2006 08:03:01 PM »

Nightbird,  I love your hat and color!  How was the andean silk?  I need to order more from knitpicks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nightbird
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2006 09:55:14 AM »

thank you! Smiley

the Andean Silk is very soft and nice! kind of gets fuzzy when you knit with it for a bit - I think that's what people call a halo? - and it's NOT color fast (the water in my sink turned pink while I was preparing it for blocking), but I liked it quite a bit.  I still have a few balls left and am trying to decide what to make.  it would be lovely close to the skin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am something of a dreamer.
knitter, spinner, tatter, crocheter
Gemma
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2006 02:04:22 PM »

Sticking my oar in with my two versions of this, my first cable project. The first was knit using a 100% wool taken from my nan's stash (she knit the matching scarf). I only did one extra cable repeat, and it ended up still being too small for my taste. Looks a bit like a tea cosy on my head!

(cheesy grin!!)

And the second attempt, with an extra 4 cable repeats and a teensy bit more ribbing. I love this!

The wool is wendy double knit courtelle prints in rainbow, knit on slightly larger needles than the pattern calls for to compensate for it being a bit thin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Crafty - knitting, crochet, sewing, customising and everything in between
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Assign a Sound File in Windows XP
How to Create Mutated Pictures in Gimp
How to Make Flaming Text in Gimp
How to Change the Film Speed in Windows Movie Maker
How to Change the Audio of Your Videos in Windows Movie Maker
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...