A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
764 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Basic Cable from...SNB Nation!!!  (Read 19063 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , cable_hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

joygoddess
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004 12:08:37 PM »

Yay!!! I just finished mine last night!!! I wish I had a digital camera so that I can post it, but hopefully in the next week or so I should be able to... mine was dark purple, and I opted for no pom-pom, but it was super-easy! I was surprised, since I had never cabled before, but I'm definitely making some more!  Grin

Oh, and my head is "unusually small" (as my friends love to point out  Roll Eyes, lol), but I followed the pattern exactly and it fits perfectly. I suggest if you have a normal-sized dome, maybe add a few rows, lol.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004 12:16:42 PM by joygoddess » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bkknits29
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2004 02:41:23 PM »

I am making this hat at the moment for my hubby who as been nagging me to make him a hat since I started knitting a year ago. This is my first cable experience and I am very pleased! It's not hard at all, I was really nervous to start with. My dh has a pretty large head, I know I should add some to the length, but should I add 1 cable or 2? He's not here right now so I can't measure his head, but he is 6'3" with a long lean face.

I love all the pics so far, think I'll make one for myself with the pompom since I don't think he would like one of those.  Smiley

Lovin SNBN!

Beth
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2004 03:37:23 PM »

bkknits,

Do you mean add a cable to make a larger diameter, or to make it longer?  Mine fit okay around my head (which has always seemed normal sized to me, but it's probably a little bigger than average--no one has ever told me either way), but I like my hats to cover my ears completely with a little space at the top. On mine I added an extra six rows above what the pattern asked for, but on the next one I make I plan to add at least 18 extra rows to give it some wiggle room.

I kept trying to get my pink one on my nephews head, and when I finally did, it fit him pretty good. Of course, he's a one year old with a head in, like, the 101st percentile.  Cheesy

I'm going to my LYS store on Wednesday (which, unfortunately, isn't so local for me anymore) to get some yarn to make these hats for my friends. I'm really excited, not just to make cool presents for them, but also because I'm going to get a warm wooly cable hat!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bkknits29
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2004 05:04:55 PM »

I was talking about adding cable lengthwise. So you are going to add 3 extra twists, or 18 rows to your next one, will that make it sit on top of your head or will it then be able to cover your ears and fit snug on your head? Ok, that sounds kinda confusing, but I don't know any other way to word it.

I think I'm going to make mine out of cascade 220 teal varigated. Forgot I had extra left in my stash from a felted purse for one of my nieces. Can't wait to have one for myself!

Thanks for the help!

Beth
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2004 06:47:57 PM »

I think it will fit snug either way because of the cables and ribbing--the hat has a lot of give. But I think the 3 extra twists will cover my ears with a little room to spare at the top of my head.

I saw some cabled hats in the store the other day. I really love this pattern because it not only gives you something that's really in style, but it's one of those projects that you can knit up quickly and it's still cheaper than buying one store-bought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DeadDisco
I'm the ne plus ultra, of B+ cultcha'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2004 10:54:41 PM »

w00t w00t! It's finished, and I really really like it! I think I may add earflaps with cords and pompoms, but for now I'm quite satisfied with my magical fire hat. I loved this pattern; it was so quick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goodcleanfungirl
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2004 11:42:13 AM »

i hope this works. i have never posted a picture before...
well i just finished the basic cable hat.  used less than 1 skein of lamb's pride worsted in limeade. because of the shortness discussion,  i added 3 rows of ribbing before starting the cable and added a cable repeat before starting my decreases.  my head is not that big and it turned out to be the perfect length. i would suggest that most people add a cable repeat or two, especially if their head is on the bigger size.  no pom pom for me.

but great pattern and super easy to follow. i love how it came out.  i will probably make this hat again in the future.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2004 12:50:39 PM »

I am most impressed and had to re-check out the thread b/c ultraviolet suggested this as a good project for getting the hang of cabling...........I am going to read up on it tonight.  Buy the yarn tomorrow and come crying to this post beggingf for help the day after!!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimbabwe
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2004 01:38:52 PM »

Wow. Indeed. I am very impressed with all of the hats that have been posted in here. And very happy to hear that cabling seemed to come so easily to everyone -- I'm intimidated! But you have inspired me to break out of my little comfort zone and give it a try. I'll post the disastrous results as soon as I can!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catherine625
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2004 04:19:27 PM »

I just posted the same thing on another thread about this pattern, but anyway, I just made this hat, it was super fun to make and it took me no time at all.  I agree that its a little short (maybe I have a big head though..), I made it for my boyfriend who has weird issues with things touching his ears so I thought it would be prefect for him, unfortunatly it kind of look like a beanie on him     Grin.  so I think I'm going to make it again with longer cables and a foldable brim.  I also did it on dpns because all of my circulars are 24" and I found that a lot easier than I thought it would be.

edit:  I'm posting a picture of my hat, I'm proud of myself, even if it looks funny on me. Wink  I also just learned that its very hard to take a picture of a hat on your own head!  So, please excuse the bad picture!  (I kind of look like death warmed over...)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2004 04:36:07 PM by catherine625 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them."
                -Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is Tagging in Graffiti
Types of Graffiti Spray Paint
What Is Wildstyle Graffiti
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter O
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter M
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...