A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,811
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Basic Cable from...SNB Nation!!!  (Read 24165 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , cable_hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2004 07:19:37 PM »

i just finished mine tonight, too. i loved making this hat, even though i did screw up quite a few times. i'll just keep this flawed one for myself-- i'm planning to start another one tonight (in a nicer yarn) for my boyfriend's sister.

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2004 05:56:06 AM »

Looks great to me, Hejira! Cables look nice and uniform; and that's a sweet pom-pom!
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2004 09:35:15 AM »

Catherine said:

I agree that its a little short (maybe I have a big head though..), I made it for my boyfriend who has weird issues with things touching his ears so I thought it would be prefect for him, unfortunatly it kind of look like a beanie on him     .  so I think I'm going to make it again with longer cables and a foldable brim.  I also did it on dpns because all of my circulars are 24" and I found that a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Do you find the hat to be big enough around? It's just a bit short, right? I like the pattern a lot and would like to make one, too!

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2004 10:25:45 AM »

thanks, kimbabwe  Smiley

and karma- my head is on the small side, and it fit me perfectly. then my boyfriend, who has a huge dome and a big thick mop of hair, tried it on and it also fit him. i did add some length to it, but it's definitely big enough around for those who have normal or larger sized heads.
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2004 08:28:35 AM »

it fit perfectly around, I kind of messed it up at the bottom, so its not super tight (I tried squeezing it on 24" circulars instead of the 16" it called for!).  So next time I'm going to follow the directions!  Wink its just a bit short.

"Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them."
                -Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2004 01:39:36 PM »

Crud!  Now I wish I'd read this thing before starting-- I'm 4 rows in from the first decrease and making the hat for a guy so I need some more length.  Frogging time to get back to before that decrease and add another cable.  Bleh!

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2004 05:21:39 PM »

Thanks to everyone who has paved the way and given us advice on these new patterns. I'll definitely add some length when I finally make one. My project list is ridiculously long!!

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2004 06:33:07 PM »

I finished my second one today (yeah, I have a final tomorrow, but I've been studying nonstop since Thanksgiving, what do you want from me?) and I did 6 cable rotations and the length turned out perfectly. Somehow I managed to drop a stitch at the end, which I haven't done since my very first scarf, but I caught it and fixed it up make-shift like and you can't tell. I think on my next one I might make the ribbing around the bottom twice as long so I can have a fold up brim. This pattern is so great! It's total instant gratification, but it looks so impressive when you're done!
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2004 01:06:41 PM »

I think on my next one I might make the ribbing around the bottom twice as long so I can have a fold up brim.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I finished mine! It fits my little head perfectly, but I like folded brim bottoms on hats. If you do this anytime soon, let me know how it turns out!!!  Cheesy
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2004 08:21:33 PM »

Here's my Basic Cable!  It's a Christmas present for my dad.  I used a different yarn (I got it for free from my mother... I think she bought it in 1983 to make a jumper that never got finished for my little brother!)  I also added an extra six rows of ribbing at the bottom so I could have a folded-up brim, and added an extra round of the cable pattern before starting the decreases to make the hat longer.

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Select the Right Size Knitting Ring
How to Use Triple Crochet in Granny Squares
How to Start Knitting on a Ring Loom
How to Press Down Your Loom Knitted Material
How to Start a Loom Knitting Project
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...