A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Basic Cable from...SNB Nation!!!  (Read 18980 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , cable_hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004 03:58:19 PM »

Thanks for all the compliments! I usually don't go in for the pom-pom look, but I just had to try a cable hat, and I think I liked it better than I thought I would. A word of advice though...I thought the hat looked a little too short for my tastes, so I did an extra set of the cable pattern to lengthen it a bit...and it still came out a little smaller than I would prefer. (I ended up adding the  pom-pom to bring it out of the yarmulke range  Wink ). When I get some real yarn and some time (post finals /sad) I think I'll make another one that is decidedly less skull-cap-ish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004 07:38:06 PM »

OMG you know...even with acrylic yarn that looks really amazing!!!
I can just hardly wait to get my copy of s&bn. Thats gonna be my first cabling project. Way to go knitster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfre etobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
ultraviolet
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004 07:23:24 AM »

So glad you posted that! This pic is much more inspiring to me than the one from the book (I tend to cringe at so many colors in one place). I just started this the other night and have a couple of inches so far in a lovely shade of blue. To h*ll with all those christmas presents I'm supposed to be working on!

This is my first cable ever. The stitches feel very tight in some places and loose in others - is that typical of cables?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004 08:07:47 AM »

This is my first cable ever. The stitches feel very tight in some places and loose in others - is that typical of cables?
It's pretty normal for the stitches that have crossed to be tighter than the normal stitches - that's one of the reasons that the wrong side rows are usually all purl (I'm assuming this hat is done in the round and that every other row is just plain knit).  It's because those stitches have to stretch farther. 

Make sure that when you switch from knit to purl and vice versa you give the yarn a little tug after you pass it between the needles - that should make sure that the yarn is all the way over to the correct side and keep that first stitch from being bigger than the others.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004 06:12:01 AM »

My basic cable, finished yesterday! Yay!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
goodkarma
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004 07:32:14 AM »

Ultraviolet, it looks great! I like this shade of blue. Did you follow the pattern exactly or add some length like redbirdrae? Now that I have the book, I can see that the original hat doesn't go down very far toward the ears; it's especially easy to see on the guy on the next page.

I want one now, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultraviolet
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2004 07:50:48 AM »

Thanks! I did follow the pattern exactly, but my head is not very big either. Even so, it is a bit shorter than other hats I have. I'd say it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a little length if you're concerned at all. I used Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride worsted - less than a skein! Since I bought two skeins I may actually attempt to make matching mittens at some point. (Probably after I finish the Manly Sweater I'll be starting for my manly boyfriend this week. Which could take months.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lila_fowler
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2004 12:13:36 PM »

I think this is going to be the first thing I make when I get this book (hopefully for Christmas). I will make one for me and see if my sister likes it then if she does make one for her as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
qdog
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004 10:25:50 AM »

I'm glad that the hat came out so well, and thanks for the feedback on the pattern. 
This was the first thing I came up with on my own, mostly after lusting after hats I saw people wearing on the T in Boston, and wanting to try cabling out. 
You only have to do the cabling every 6 rows, so please don't be intimidated.
I'm really excited that people have been making their own modifications and mixing up the colors.
go knitters!
-Chris Q
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DeadDisco
I'm the ne plus ultra, of B+ cultcha'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2004 10:05:14 AM »

I just started knitting this hat in some GORGEOUS Alchemy yarn, in the "Breath of Fire" colorway. Knitting with this yarn is so addictive. Here's a picture from their website of the color, but I think the yarn I'm using is a little bit more vibrant...maybe it's just the photo. Undecided
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004 10:07:27 AM by DeadDisco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pat Mitchell: Falling Forward
Pat Mitchell: Television Pioneer
How to Make a Bay-Laurel Wreath for the Holidays
How to Make a Table Top Christmas Tree
American Made: Mountain Boy Sledworks
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...