A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 5 lbs of rosemary branches, what to do... (anyone need some?)  (Read 2052 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kitkabbit
« on: April 23, 2007 11:01:20 PM »

Any ideas?
what should I do with about 5 lbs of fresh (well cut 2 days ago and beginning to dry) rosemary branches?  I tried to make rosemary water with the stovetop steam distillation method (big pot, brick, bowl, ice, inverted lid) and it's slowwwww as hell.  I've got so much and no idea what to do with it.  anyone need some?
~kat

i need some advice, I don't really want to throw this in the compost heap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007 08:36:35 AM »

Do you have any kind of cooking school near you?  Maybe they would like a donation?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Pheather

I am full of p and v....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007 10:06:40 AM »

Rosemary branches can be used to make shish kebabs with (although that won't use a ton)  It flavors the meat really taste good.  Just strip off all the leaves and use it like a metal or wooden skewer and grill them as you would any other shish kebabs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitkabbit
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007 10:33:48 AM »

yeah, I've done the grilling thing before...

Has anyone ever made a rosemary syrup before?  I found a recipe that looked interesting... saw a recipe for berries in rosemary syrup.

http://www.tastingmenu.com/2007/04/09/recipe-rosemary-syrup/

The cooking school thing sounds like an excellent idea!  I'll look into it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Xiexie11
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007 06:45:07 PM »

If you drink alcohol, you can make rosemary liqueur.

Basically, you mix 1 cup rosemary into a 750ml bottle of liquor and let it sit for about a day.  Then you strain the rosemary and let the alcohol sit for a couple of days to mellow.

I've used vodka for this, but in theory, other alcohols would work.

A small amount is good in a pear brandy based martini or even as an ingredient in pasta sauce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
projecth
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007 07:38:36 PM »

Potato Pizza with Olive Oil, Rosemary and Sea Salt! I'm sure if you google it, you'll find a recipe. Marinate chicken with 1 cup italian dressing, the juice of a lemon and 1 t. fresh rosemary - delicious.

Also, you could make rosemary olive oil for cooking or freeze it. Too much rosemary is a blessing!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out all my projects at

http://www.twokitties.typepad.com
chamaecyparis
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007 02:59:24 PM »

you might want to ask on the body and bath board as well- my shampoo smells like rosemary, and I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pokeedog

Quilt, Cook, Gocco, Clothes and Home

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007 05:51:36 PM »

Rosemary olive oil is awesome. Stick a few branches in olive oil, cover totally, then remove the branches after a week or two. The oil is great for everything!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananabanana
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007 05:07:09 AM »

We could have used five Ton of the stuff here in Australia yesterday as it was ANZAC day. Everyone wears a sprig of rosemary for remembrance in their lapels and there's a huge effort beforehand to find and assemble all the sprigs. It's our national day to remember those who've fought and died and served in war.

I think rosemary's a bit overpowering in food sometimes, how about potting it up and giving it away to friends or a school fete when it has the cuttings have struck?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleredrobot
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007 06:59:44 AM »

you can cut the needles/leaves (whatever they're called--the green bits!) off and freeze them to use a bit at a time. you can either freeze the leaves loose (this is easier and allows you to take just as much as you need, though the flavor won't hold up as long) or toss 'em in a food processor with a bit of olive oil and freeze the mixture in ice trays (this is a little bit more work anad means you have to use a whole cube at a time, but man is the flavor awesome).

incidentally, the latter olive oil/herb puree is the best way i have ever found to put up basil. pop out a basil-ice cube in february and it still tastes as fresh and delicious as in summer. mmmm....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rebecca Chace Talks About Leaving Rock Harbor
A ValueTales Treasury Book Trailer
Jessica DuLong Talks About My River Chronicles
Tweak Book Trailer
Danny Tobey Talks About The Faculty Club
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...