A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bikini!  (Read 4383 times)
Tags for this thread: paisley , bikini  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miasu
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007 12:43:21 PM »

This looks so nice! So professional! I'm surprised you don't have some fashion line that all the top celebrities wear!

Anyway, perfect- love the material and style.

Was the edge elastic difficult to handle while folding and sewing down?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mirela
mirela

I can do that!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007 01:09:04 PM »

Oh my gosh! I's just a hobby (for now  Grin )

The folded elastic already has a line in the middle that it naturally folds over, so the fabric is placed in between the elastic, with the middle line at the edge of the fabric. It is fairly easy to sew it, either with a zig zag stitch or an elastic straight stitch, close to the fabric, not to the edge. A double or twin needle does the job very well, creating two straight stitches on the right side and a zig zag on the wring side, that also prevents the fabric in between from fraying.

A serger that does a coverstitch is best for this. I think that there are some guide feet specialized for guiding the elastic, similar to the ones for bias tape...

I pin the beginning of the seam and then stretch the elastic to be the same length as the fabric, and keep pushing the fabric into the elastic V with my left hand thumb.

UUUff..is this explanation even readable? I'll have to make a video next Time I do this. It's a great way to finish off hems, at the neck line and blouse sleeves. I use this also for underwear..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everywear by Mirela

Cutting Edge Stitches and Seams Blog

Find me on:
Ravelry:     mirela
BurdaStyle: mirela
Flicker:      fmirela
skoo
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007 01:32:39 PM »

grrrrreat! (as tony the tiger would say).  ya, it's just fantabulous.  i'm jealous
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LauPre

I've lost my scissors... again?!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007 07:44:36 PM »

Super stretchy fabric like that scares me!  I don't think I could be brave enough to try making a swimsuit, but seeing this is really great! Kudos to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do some personal swaps.
I'm looking for handmade soaps, jewelry, and knit legwarmers/socks.
pm me if I can sew something for you!

Blog : http://blog.laupre.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/laupre
Home: http://LauPre.com
miasu
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007 11:53:45 AM »

Oh my gosh! I's just a hobby (for now  Grin )

The folded elastic already has a line in the middle that it naturally folds over, so the fabric is placed in between the elastic, with the middle line at the edge of the fabric. It is fairly easy to sew it, either with a zig zag stitch or an elastic straight stitch, close to the fabric, not to the edge. A double or twin needle does the job very well, creating two straight stitches on the right side and a zig zag on the wring side, that also prevents the fabric in between from fraying.

A serger that does a coverstitch is best for this. I think that there are some guide feet specialized for guiding the elastic, similar to the ones for bias tape...

I pin the beginning of the seam and then stretch the elastic to be the same length as the fabric, and keep pushing the fabric into the elastic V with my left hand thumb.

UUUff..is this explanation even readable? I'll have to make a video next Time I do this. It's a great way to finish off hems, at the neck line and blouse sleeves. I use this also for underwear..

lol, I got the gist of it.. I don't have a twin/double needle though (or a serger), so I'd have to look more into that..

Where do you find this elastic that folds over on its own? Or does it just have vertical lines that follow the stretch, and you just fold it over yourself?

Thank you for explaining all of that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blyss
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007 11:44:43 AM »

You're so talented. I'm always so impressed by your work. I originally thought the photo was a designer pic from a website or mag. Beautiful fabric. Smiley
Vania
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tricia
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007 03:22:55 PM »

Wow, this is really beautiful. You did a wonderful job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mirela
mirela

I can do that!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007 04:19:02 PM »

Well...I get my fold over elastic from a local shop (Ben Raymond in downtown Hollywood, FL, by the way the shop is being sold...hope the keep the merchandise) or it can be found online.

Here's another thread on a different forum about finishing edges

Fold over elastic online

Another online shop...
I have not ordered anything from them...but look into it...I'm sure you'll find something similar.

Without the twin needle or fancy sewing machines, you can just sew it with a zigzag stitch. A straight stitch's thread would break when stretching the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everywear by Mirela

Cutting Edge Stitches and Seams Blog

Find me on:
Ravelry:     mirela
BurdaStyle: mirela
Flicker:      fmirela
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Choosing The Right Sunglasses For Your Face Shape
Rules Of Thumb For Hair Color
The Most Fashionable Raincoat
Style Tricks To Slimming Arms
The Must-Have Colors For Your Summer Wardrobe
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...