A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Invite advice  (Read 895 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TinkerMonroe
« on: April 21, 2007 02:07:03 PM »

My Boyfriend's Uncle is getting married this fall, and I've been invited to help plan things, I'm very excited!  The couple are looking for the most creative and cost effective way to do things.  Of course, the first item that comes up on the list is Invitations.

I was wondering if any of you who have, or are currently making your invites have any advice?  I have never done anything similar so any advice or good resources would be fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glue, stuck to my shoe.

Blog
I joined the revolution! I Wisted!
natalex
Tutorial Contributor

Gotta find something to do up here in Alaska

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007 03:56:49 PM »

I'm planning my wedding on a budget too, so invites were something I put a lot of thought into. I looked up on google "wedding invitation wording" and looked at countless examples till I found one that sounded right for me. Then I took my theme, which was pisces, and made the art for it myself. I decided to save on postage by having people RSVP online at www.ezweddingplanner.com. For the people who are old-fashioned, which there are about 12 of, I'm sending an RSVP card and envelope. I also saved on money by using regular-sized envelopes instead of fancy ones, because they were easier to find and they weren't in some sort of wedding invitation set. Those can be expensive. Then I just had access to my dad's nice printer for the rest. I guess you could take the computer files to a copy place like Office Depot and they'll print them off.

As for a calligrapher, I asked my friend with really nice handwriting if she'd do it. She didn't charge me and they look fantastic. I probably spent $30 total, not including postage, which will probably be about $40.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my cooking and craft blog: www.knitnatak.blogspot.com
eirle

Ph.D. complete. Back to crafting!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007 06:46:19 PM »

I guess the most important advice I have to offer is that it may not always be cheaper to make your invitations, depending on your tastes. They can be less expensive, but they won't necessarily be.

My husband and I made our own invitations for our recent wedding. (They're posted here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=151318.0)
We ended up spending just over $1 per invitation (not including postage), which is definitely in the price range of some of the cheaper commercial invitations. However, I think they ended up looking a lot nicer than $1 invitations and I was really pleased with the way they turned out. (I also got a lot of compliments on them... Smiley Smiley )

As natalex said, a good printer is crucial to the process.

I'm suffering a little bit of wedding craftiness withdrawal since I got married (almost a month ago), so if you want to PM me, I'll be happy to help more. I have some favorite sites for paper ordering, etc. that I'd love to pass on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dare to Dream. Dare to believe in what is possible and instill in others the same sense of possibility." -C. Fiorina 2004
twowishes

I am the warden of PUPPY JAIL.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007 09:24:06 PM »

Eirle, your invitations were AMAZING -- I've been admiring them since you first posted -- and I can't believe you managed them for that price!

Would you be willing to share those "favorite paper sources" with all of us, rather than by p.m.?  I thought of p.m.-ing you too, but then figured there might be other lurkers out there who were equally interested....  Thanks!  Grin

(P.S.  I'm holding out for a Gocco too ... rumor has it someone's going to start selling them in the U.S. again in the next few months!!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So I finally started a blog.... 
*MAR*
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007 10:20:45 AM »

I sure hope someone starts selling print Goccos again in the US, because I've been watching eBay and they are getting silly expensive. I'm sure they will come out right AFTER my wedding. Ah well, I'll keep looking!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eirle

Ph.D. complete. Back to crafting!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007 10:41:40 AM »

Hi Twowishes,
  Thanks for the compliment! Smiley My very favorite paper site is Creative Papers Online (http://handmade-paper.us/). Part of our goal in making our invitations was to not use non-sustainable paper as much as possible. (Our invitations were made with mulberry paper which is a sustainable resource.) Creative Paper has *tons* of beautiful handmade paper and their samples are inexpensive, so you can see what you're getting. The paper comes in BIG sheets (usually 22"x30") and was very affordable. They also will cut to any size for $10.
  Paper Source (http://www.paper-source.com) has *gorgeous* stuff but I didn't actually buy anything from there, so I don't know how it is.
   Paper and More (http://www.paperandmore.com/) has the best prices for vellum envelopes that I could find. (We ended up not using vellum envelopes, because of the difficulty with printing on them, but we bought other things from there.)
   I had a lot more great links, but my computer died and I haven't ressurected it yet. (Things you don't want to happen 1 week before your wedding... computer with everything on it dying. Check.) If/when I get it running again, I will update this with anything that I forgot that I think you all must know. Smiley

I love my print Gocco immensely, so I definitely say hold out for one! We were able to do a lot of things that looked really professional using the Gocco and linen paper. (It did take a fair bit of time, but for me that's the joy of DIY.)

Hope you don't mind me putting this in your thread TinkerMonroe; hope it helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dare to Dream. Dare to believe in what is possible and instill in others the same sense of possibility." -C. Fiorina 2004
MissAbi
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007 09:17:11 PM »

We used cardsandpockets.com to do pocketfold invites. I don't have pics on my computer, but they turned out great (many compliments) and we printed them ourselves.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007 05:55:31 AM by MissAbi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

chartreusevelour
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007 10:40:50 AM »

i made 70 invitations for $50.  it would have been cheaper, but i have an inkjet printer at home, so i went to kinko's to laser print.  i sewed all the pages, maps, etc, together and tied a bow.  each page is a little bigger than the last, so the edges are "striped".  the rsvp cards are postcards.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/470275507_54e071020e_m.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chartreusevelour.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ashley Javier: Hair Tyrant Trailer
Beachy Hair Tutorial
Gamine Chignons at the Monique Lhuillier FW 2014 Show
Best Foods to Eat for Healthy Hair
Hair Tips: How To Cover Roots & Grays In Between Colorings
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...