A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Starburst Dresser  (Read 31085 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

olga
« on: April 21, 2007 01:13:18 AM »

My grandma had a stroke 5 years ago. She tried living on her own for the next year, but as her illness became progressively worse, we had to make the decision to move her into a place where she would receive the care she needed. (Don't worry, she's in a very good Jewish nursing home and my mother comes to visit her every other day Wink )

Anyway, when she left her apartment, I was the one who cleaned it out. It was a strange experience, and one I would not allow anyone else to attempt. She was a miraculous person, she has become my hero, my idol, and I was the only one who wouldn't throw everything she owned in the dumpster. I spent two weeks at her place, and then packed and took home everything. One of my favorite things she owned was an old white dresser, beat up, but the bones were good.

I took it home and to my room. It stayed old and beat up for years....and then I began my quest to find the dresser's inner life. To honor It and my grandma, this is what I created out of it.

BEFORE

AFTER

I sanded off all the old white stuff. It almost killed me, it was covered with something much worse than paint. I then stained the wood twice with Ebony.  Then came three coats of oil based poly. Then staining and nailing all of the dowells. And finally staining, cutting, sharpening, and gluing the skewers. I'm tired. Hope you like.

Thank you so much to everyone who looked, and especially to everyone who left a comment. All of your wonderful words meant the world to me. Please don't be intimidated to try something similar yourselves, it only looks hard, but to tell you the truth, besides the time commitment, it was pretty easy, a piece of cake. Thanks again!!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009 05:38:58 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. - don't mind me! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

timpani~jax
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007 02:08:58 AM »

Wow that's amazing! So much work. I didn't notice the sunbursts were dowells until the close-up at the end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QOTSA
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007 02:20:03 AM »

Thats absolutley beautiful, a great idea and very well executed. I love the contrast between the dark and light wood colours
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyImperfections

Paper cuts and hot glue burns since 1985

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007 02:49:29 AM »

that is incredible.  I never would have come up with the idea myself, just.. wow, what an awesome tribute!  I'm so glad it wasn't starburst wrappers, I mean, not that there is anything wrong with that, but I was thinking, she's gonna preserve her grandmas legacy with starburst wrappers?  LOL.  Anyway, this definately rocks, I'm hitting it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's swap.
bacettox

vivir con miedo es como vivir a medias

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007 03:19:33 AM »

Oh my goodness! That's amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tahlie
LuC

"Eccentric and Genius" S.Dali

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007 03:33:28 AM »

Wow. and a really nice thing to do for your grandma, well done  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007 05:56:23 AM »

My grandma had a stroke 5 years ago. She tried living on her own for the next year, but as her illness became progressively worse, we had to make the decision to move her into a place where she would receive the care she needed. (Don't worry, she's in a very good Jewish nursing home and my mother comes to visit her every other day Wink )

Anyway, when she left her apartment, I was the one who cleaned it out. It was a strange experience, and one I would not allow anyone else to attempt. She was a miraculous person, she has become my hero, my idol, and I was the only one who wouldn't throw everything she owned in the dumpster. I spent two weeks at her place, and then packed and took home everything. One of my favorite things she owned was an old white dresser, beat up, but the bones were good.

I took it home and to my room. It stayed old and beat up for years....and then I began my quest to find the dresser's inner life. To honor It and my grandma, this is what I created out of it.

I think it's wonderful that you are able to honor your grandmother with the love you put into the refinishing on that dresser!

She'd be proud of the new life you've given it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007 06:38:19 AM »

I hit the 'This Rocks!' on this!  And I don't do that very often!  I love the recon job!!!

Bless you for Recycling!!!!

Hugs,
RM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
Margrethe
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007 06:41:48 AM »

This is simply wonderful, and as already commented, I thought the stars were painted on till I saw the close-up! Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mercury-design.livejournal.com
MercuryDesign on Etsy

marleah
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007 06:42:41 AM »

Absolutely gorgeous! It looks so classy. Fabulous job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Monopoly Rules Guide
Learn about Monopoly
Monopoly Tutorial
Horseshoe Pitching Tips
Horseshoe Pitching Grips Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Keep Calm and Treat Mum
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...