A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Murals of kids at play (image heavy)  (Read 4394 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 20, 2007 06:35:11 PM »

I've been busy lately.  This is what I painted this week (over the course of 3 days).

Befores:

After:
The climbing wall became a mountain!

(This wall is straight to the back when you walk in the doors), so the monkey is greeting you, and kids who climb high on the wall can also 'high five' Mymo!

The funky column in the wall is now a tree:

You can see how I used the column to my advantage, and built it into the mural.
Kiddos:

All the friends:
Mymo the Monkey

Diego and James (Diego is modeled after my son, note the Converse!)

This pic was after the 2nd day, before I finished the plants and they got a bit more detail later...

Emily and Scotty Dog:

(The owner's dog is Scotty)  Smiley

Sophia and Benjamin playing peek-a-boo behind the tree (no before shot, I'm sure you can imagine it.) The landscape wraps the column.

2 more kids will get added to the back of this if I have time next week.

Sophia today, after she got her polka dots and the plants got painted.

(The owner LOVES polka dots!)

Tulips:

So, that is almost 24 hours of painting time this week, done on 3 days.  I have one more BIG mural to paint in the back (a 'playhouse'), I'll post it next week when it's done.  Smiley

ETA: Here it is!

I finished it early, so I started ONE More mural at the front!  I'll post it tomorrow when it's done!

Designing the kids was the hardest part, we wanted them to be cute but not too simple.  I had a few hard nights figuring it out!  When I settled on a face style, I had to 'create' each kid; with a distinct ethnicity and personality.  I chose their clothes, etc.  The easiest way was to name them, and most of them are kids we know! 
I wasn't sure about them at first, but once I painted them on the wall I just want to pinch their cheeks and adopt them all!

Doing jobs like this is fun, but keeps me super busy; that's the big reason I'm not online near as much anymore.

Comments, criticisms?   Which kid is your favorite?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007 07:35:47 PM by OriginalYouth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

supermedic
SUPERMEDIC

Live Love Laugh But Laugh the Most

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007 06:50:33 PM »

most adorable.  very talented painter and artist. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007 07:00:03 PM »

very talented!!!!!!!!

I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
colarific
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007 07:12:28 PM »

Great job! Emily is my favorite, and to me, she looks like one of the Fisher-Price Little People kids! (My DS has a Xmas set that made me think of that).
What type of facility is this where you did this?
Kudos!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007 07:28:56 PM »

I was quickly scrolling down the "Recent Posts with Pics" page when I saw this...didn't even have to see your name to know it was done by you Smiley

That is an insane amount of work!  You've done an absolutely wonderful job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bandit323
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007 08:34:14 PM »

Absolutely fabulous!  I love the kids.  They look like they jumped out of a popular cartoon to come play!  I have to say Emily is my favorite, because she looks like my niece Emily!  But I'm loving Diego and his shoes, too!
Jamie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007 09:11:26 PM »

Great job! Emily is my favorite, and to me, she looks like one of the Fisher-Price Little People kids! (My DS has a Xmas set that made me think of that).
What type of facility is this where you did this?
Kudos!

Thanks!  She is designed with influence of the FP little girl with glasses, here is the website of their figures.   The kids are a mix of:
Curious George The Movie children, FP LP Kids, the kids from Dragon Tales cartoon, Strawberry Shortcake kids, and my random imagination.  Smiley  The owner wanted them young, friendly, happy, and simple.  She had visited another gym with murals, and she wanted me to get the same feel that they have.  Their website link is here.  I didn't intend to copy that other artist, so I created all my own tree style, plants, hills, kids, etc. I wanted to give her the same feeling, but my own flair.

The facility is a brand new (grand opening next Friday) My Gym in Colleyville, Texas.  It's for kids, ages 6 weeks to 14 years, and they have weekly classes.  They have swings from the ceiling, ball pits, forts, monkey bars, trampolines, gymnastics equipment, and basically any fun thing for kids to be active.  It's an amazing place!

I was quickly scrolling down the "Recent Posts with Pics" page when I saw this...didn't even have to see your name to know it was done by you Smiley

That is an insane amount of work!  You've done an absolutely wonderful job.

That's funny that you could tell, especially since it's a different type of work than usual.  Glad you like it.  I do work FAST.  I think I should charge more.  Wink  Just kidding.  Smiley

Thanks to all for the kudos!  I painted for 10 hours on Monday, with only 10 minutes for lunch.....and I was ready to keep on, and not stop to eat or anything.  That's when you know you are doing the right job, when you work ALL day and dont' want to stop!  Smiley
Hopefully this project will get me lots of great exposure and I'll get more jobs!  Wheeeeeee!  Maybe I really will be an artist when I grow up!

Smiley

Absolutely fabulous!  I love the kids.  They look like they jumped out of a popular cartoon to come play!  I have to say Emily is my favorite, because she looks like my niece Emily!  But I'm loving Diego and his shoes, too!
Jamie
Diego is the bestest cause he has a faux hawk and Chucks.  Tongue 
Really though, I totally want to adopt 'James' and 'Benjamin'.  A multi racial family!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

talo design
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007 12:50:32 AM »

Congratulations... this is absolutely fantastic work. The monkey has heaps of cool detail. James is my fav kid for sure... hehehe, so cute.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007 04:11:32 PM by talo design » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007 06:23:11 AM »

So great for you, OY!  Gotta love those paying gigs!!! I love Sophia, naturally!   After having actually MET your dd in person and seeing her precious personality, it's easy to pick my favorite!   Smiley  Tell her that we say "Hello!"

Hugs,
RM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
Patti M

Formerly known as pjmclnj!

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007 07:07:42 AM »

Great mural Sarah! What type of paint did you use? I did a wall mural a few years back in my son's old school library so I know how you feel- how tired are your arms? Mine were exhausted and climbing the scaffolding gets a bit tiring after a while, but it's a thrill to see finished. Your kids are way much cuter than the ones I came up with!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Favorites-http://www.etsy.com/people/pjmclnj/favorites?ref=si_fav
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pjmclnj
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make This Apple Cider Cake with Your Kids
Caramel-Mascarpone Apple Recipe
How to Make Strawberry Pie and No-Heat Strawberry Jam
How to Make a Coca-Cola Granita
How to Make Healthy Banana Oat Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...