A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Vegan Cheese?  (Read 1836 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spaghetti
« on: April 20, 2007 08:04:20 AM »

So I'm trying to give up dairy (again...).  I've got the soymilk thing down, no problem.  Soy ice cream?  Great.  But vegan cheese?  Eeew.  (I like nutritional yeast a lot, and it makes a decent mac-and-cheesish, but doesn't sub well on a cheese sandwich or as a salad topping...) 

I've seen some recipes for homemade soy cheeses and nut cheeses, and was wondering if anyone has tried them.  If not, I'll give it a shot, but I didn't want to get my hopes up unnecessarily  Undecided

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
mzgorightry
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007 08:17:46 AM »

Have you tried the Vegan Gourmet cheeses? I agree that stuff like Veganrella is gross, but I think the VG line is pretty tasty - and it melts well, too. Here's a link: http://www.imearthkind.com/Main.htm

I haven't tried homemade soy or nut cheeses, so I can't help you out there, I'm afraid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allisone

a plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007 09:08:08 AM »

You might want to take a look at the Uncheese Cookbook. I borrowed it from the local library. I've had better luck with the stuff in there than the vegan cheese I buy at the store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luckyklutz85
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007 12:30:25 AM »

Tofutti slices make a pretty decent grilled cheese and I like Follow Your Heart's cheeses on quesadillas and pizza. I used to be a total cheese fiend, and I've found that the longer you're away from it, the less you want it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananabanana
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007 05:08:23 AM »

I borrowed the uncheese cookbook from my library too. But I was too scared to try anything in there. Looked good though: so many cheesy recipes for vegans.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007 05:13:28 AM »

I used to be a total cheese fiend, and I've found that the longer you're away from it, the less you want it.

It's not that way with me.  Six years later and I'm still craving it almost every day.

Tofutti slices: good on sandwiches, horrible by themselves.  MELTS
Vegan Gourmet: Good on everything else, tolerable by itself in small quantities, MELTS
Sheese: vegan cheese god (doesn't melt, but I eat it so fast I can never get it close enough to the microwave before it's gone).  Very few places sell it though, and it's $9 a wheel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
cierah99
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007 09:51:29 AM »

While I still eat cheese - I've heard that rice cheese is good and is meltable. Sorry - I don't know where to find it or anything. But that could be something to look into.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieDust721
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007 03:38:48 PM »

You might want to take a look at the Uncheese Cookbook. I borrowed it from the local library. I've had better luck with the stuff in there than the vegan cheese I buy at the store.

While I am no longer vegan....I second this response...this book was the main thing that got me to stay vegan as long as i did...and even though i am back to being a vegetarian, I still make uncheese recipies from this book and now go days with out eating dairy with out even realizing it....(where as growing up vegetarian in a meat eating household, i ate mac and cheese every day)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zenobia
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007 08:40:25 PM »

While I still eat cheese - I've heard that rice cheese is good and is meltable. Sorry - I don't know where to find it or anything. But that could be something to look into.

It is good. Better than most of the soy cheeses I've tried, but I never got over the real thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentlyknits
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007 10:52:07 AM »

I just tried some of the recipes from the uncheeses book and I'm so excited! The block-cheeses still have to cool some more, but they look and feel and taste just like....  cheese... so far...

and I also made the broccoli pesto. didn't manage to grind the sesame seeds to a powder like I was supposed to. It was more like chopped. But it tasted good anyway and if I use the coffe grinder next time I'm sure it will turn out perfect.

I've been in the kitchen all day... made seitan from the recipe in "vegan with a vengeance" and some freestyle small potatoes oven baked with  oil and lemonjuice... mmm.. and for dessert a rhubarb marzipan crumble pie... 

phew... now I just need to wash up... maybe I'll do that tomorrow...  Wink

so... My advice to all of you who havent made their own uncheeses yet: get to it! It's actually really easy and so much fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you take the things you like, and try to love the things you took.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adding and Labeling Action Keyframes
Macromedia Flash 8 - Creating and Arranging Buttons
Macromedia Flash 8 - Combining Animations into One Project
Macromedia Flash 8 - Using Graphic Symbols
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adding Audio, Swapping Symbols and Testing a Movie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...