A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sliver vs. roving and use for thrumming?  (Read 593 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redwitch
« on: April 20, 2007 05:16:28 AM »

Hi all
I've found it difficult to get info on sliver online. I want to make thrummed mittens (here's a fairly short page with a good explanation: http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/thrumfaq.html )
I've found some nice colours of sliver on Trademe (it's like ebay), but far less choice in roving. I'm having trouble figuring out the difference. I've seen the words used in such a way they look interchangeable: 'sliver/roving', a brief intro to spinning fibre nomenclature that says sliver is basically like roving, but thinner, and an e-mail from the seller says the difference is that sliver hasn't been combed to align all the fibres the way roving has.
Can anyone tell me whether you think this would be appropriate or unsuitable for thrumming? Here's what I'm thinking of buying, it certainly looks like roving to me:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Crafts/Spinning/auction-96671067.htm this has better colour range

but the seller said this would be a better bet for me to thrum with: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=95990076

Any ideas?
Also, apparently I need something with a staple length under 3 inches but not too far under, something 'medium'. Would you consider merino and corriedale fall into that range?

Thanks
Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starpiste
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007 09:01:17 AM »

I'm not super sure, but I always buy sliver, and all the fibers are combed out in the same direction. And http://www.joyofhandspinning.com has information about fiber staple length. Merino is in the 3 inch range, but corriedale is usually 3-5 inches it says.

and I know nothing about thrumming, but good luck, the mittens look super warm and comfy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zeeblebee
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007 09:04:31 PM »

I really like working with Merino because it is so soft and silky, but I probably wouldn't go for a superfine if you did use it. I think Corriedale would work as well, but it would be a little less soft. If you want some other breeds, here is a page with some, and you can sort of get the info you want from one table before going to the next and getting another set of numbers...Wink

I think either sliver or roving would work, and that either of the two items you have shown would work too, but that said, I only know about thrums in thoery, not in practice Smiley. Since you would be pulling off only a bit to use, I don't think the thickness would make much difference as what you will be using is going to be thinner than either anyway.

I love that site BTW, and ashford traditional for $NZ20 (at the mo) is incredible, as is the choice of fibers. I'm off to hunt and see if any ship over the Tasman.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007 09:21:50 PM »

The seller says the merino is about 4-5 inches... oh dear... I've already bought the merino. And an unrelated probably more suitable fleece. I may as well get one of the Corriedale as well and see how I like them for thrums - picture me on the floor pulling off tiny bits of fibre in different colours surrounded by bits of fluff! I can see how the fibres being aligned could be very important in spinning, but think for thrums it might not be important.
Thanks for your help.
If you can't get shipping, PM me, I could receive and mail a package to you.

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zeeblebee
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007 12:17:02 AM »

thanks, thats very kind of you. I will definately keep it in mind Smiley.

I would give thrums in Merino a whirl- the insides will probably end up much softer and silkier than if you used corriedale, though they may take longer to felt together. If the stuff is being sold as for felting than it probably wouldn't be superfine.

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Monopoly Theory Guide
Learn about Monopoly Game Variations
Learn about Monopoly Community Chest Cards
Learn about Monopoly Land Owning Rules
Basic Monopoly Rules Guide
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...