A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,690
Currently Running With Scissors:
791 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: USPS changes effecting international shipping  (Read 1144 times)
Tags for this thread: shipping , international_shipping  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sophisticated Hippie
« on: April 19, 2007 10:12:05 PM »

Im cross posting this in a few different groups to get as many replies as possible.

USPS is making some major changes to International shipping.  They are eliminating the small Global Priority envelope and dramatically increasing the price of the larger.  $7.50 to $9 for Canada and $9.50 to $11 for all other countries.  95% or more of my international sales were shipped using the small GP envelope so my rates are actually doubling if I want to continue to use GP.  I appreciated the safety of the tracking feature of GP but now Im not sure how to keep my international sales.  This is probably 1/3 or more of my entire sales.

How do you safely & economically ship your international packages?

Im making a trip to the post office tomorrow and hoping I understand how the Certificate of Mailing works with the new shipping categories.  I may end up offering First Class international with the Certificate of Mailing.  This may offer me some security but I also want to offer it to my buyers.

What are your thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007 10:21:27 PM »

have  you  considered  pricing  with DHL or Fed ex?  it  may be  cheaper and  yep  tracking too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007 10:31:49 PM »

I hadnt thought of DHL but I had planned on checking into UPS and FedEx.  My daughter worked for FedEx a couple of years ago and she said from what she can remember it was much more expensive than even GP.  Most of my international packages weigh 10 ounces to up to 1.5 pounds max.  I use Stamps.com and they used to offer FedEx accounts so I will be checking that out tomorrow when my brain is bit fresher.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007 05:42:30 AM »

I hadnt thought of DHL but I had planned on checking into UPS and FedEx.  My daughter worked for FedEx a couple of years ago and she said from what she can remember it was much more expensive than even GP.  Most of my international packages weigh 10 ounces to up to 1.5 pounds max.  I use Stamps.com and they used to offer FedEx accounts so I will be checking that out tomorrow when my brain is bit fresher.  DHL  also offers  accounts  and   UPS   if that  helps.

DHL  is  owned  by  fed ex  but  some  of thier  stuff is  still cheaper....not  sure in comparision
but  you can go  online and  do a  mock package and test the  rates  and  compare  thru DHL,   fed ex, UPS,  and USPS.....   and  you could  also jsut raise the
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007 08:17:14 AM »

I hadnt thought of DHL but I had planned on checking into UPS and FedEx.  My daughter worked for FedEx a couple of years ago and she said from what she can remember it was much more expensive than even GP.  Most of my international packages weigh 10 ounces to up to 1.5 pounds max.  I use Stamps.com and they used to offer FedEx accounts so I will be checking that out tomorrow when my brain is bit fresher.

To my knowledge using one of these services to ship internationally is bad, bad, bad.  I've heard horror stories of recipients being forced to pay huge customs fees for these services.  Let me see if I can find something in writing for you.

In the mean time, you can check through some of these past threads and see if they're of any help.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=41564.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=82028.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=59745.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=45517.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=7337.0

ETA:  Since I was made aware of brokerage fees while I was on the Ebay discussion boards, I got my info from there.  I trust the Ebay forums as a source, but you may want to do your own investigation.  Here's what I found

OTHER CARRIERS:
UPS, FEDEX and other Private Carriers.
Most Couriers provide a Standard and an Express service. Private couriers clear the item thru the destination country and charge a fee for this service. These fees are in addition to any taxes and/or duty the buyer would normally have to pay if sent thru a domestic carrier. Usually these fees are included in their Express Service but not in their Standard service. This fee is generally referred to as a " brokerage fee " and is usually charged to the buyer at the other end. This fee may include disbursement fees ( advancement of money fees ) , C.O.D. Fees, and import permits on top of their standard clearance fees.
Some buyers may prefer to have their item shipped via a private courier. Perhaps they have a business account and/or have their own broker for clearance. Before you send your item using a private couriers standard service, make sure the buyer knows about the additional fees.
Note: If the buyer lives close to where the parcel clears customs ( usually an airport ), there is a way for the buyer to avoid paying the brokerage fee. Instead of the courier company clearing customs, the buyer can do it. Once the package arrives the buyer should be notified. They need to get the waybill from the courier company and need an invoice or something to prove the value of the parcel. Then they go to customs and pay any taxes and duty that might be owed. Then they go back to the courier company to pick up their parcel. For more info on this have the buyer contact the courier company.

From this thread: http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=400051350&tstart=0&mod=1176847776325
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007 08:25:05 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gothfoxdesigns
Pastie Purveyor

Pastie Purveyor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007 10:47:36 AM »

I'm in the same boat, i love the small envelopes I didn't know till now they were going away. I'm very pissed about it.
I'm going to have to raise my rates for global priority mail which sucks. $4 is a big chunk of change for people that need their orders fast. But i'll only have to raise my rates for them on Ebay. My website i can just use Airmail letter post which is pretty fast for what it is.

Overseas count for about 50% of my business and most of them will have to wait for slower packages now.

here is a link to the USPS pdf about the new changes
http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/bulletin/2007/pb22203a.pdf
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007 10:30:04 PM »

Thanks for the links jungrrl.  It was very thoughtful of you to find those.  Much of the information was a bit outdated from the craftster threads but I did find the ebay forum thread insightful.

I didnt realize there were brokerage fees the buyer would have to pay for services other than USPS.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to be using the new First Class International and offer the option of 1/2 price GP shipping for orders over a certain dollar amount.

I know my international sales will take a dive until the buyers get used to the new changes.

Thanks for the responses.  I hope everyone else's sales dont drop too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Properly Dress for a Holiday Party
How To Get the Most Out of Black Friday
Alyson Hannigan Talks Fashion
We Spy Fashionable Celebrity Engagement Rings
Day-to-Day Evening Looks For Women
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...