A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,094
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: boarder print on bust?????  (Read 609 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

atomic mary
« on: April 19, 2007 07:47:35 PM »

i hope i'm in the right place for this.
i am wanting to make a dress, simplicity 5561. the straight one, shortened to about my knee
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=search.cfm&numMatch=2&design_id=9218&design=5561&thumbnail_image=5561t.jpg&ldesc=Misses%27%20Evening%20Dresses%2C%20Jacket%2C%20Bolero%20and%20Purse&size_range=4%20to%2018

i have this beautiful twill boarder print that i want to use. my question is.....
can i use the boarder at the top of the dress? i had to do a full bust adjustment on it which is fine but when i place the pattern pieces on it i realized (or think i realized) that the boarder on the 2 front pieces is not going to match up? or is it? can i cut the side front pieces on the bias? would that be better or worse? i don't think the boarder on the sides would match then. i really want this to work out and i guess if i had to i could put the boarder on the bottom but it's not going to be the same.
any help would be greatly appreciated. of course this is something i thought would be easy to do and had planned on wearing it tomorrow Cheesy yeah whatever. ha ha
atomic mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onemoreseam
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007 12:30:12 PM »

Sorry to be dense but why does the border print not match up?  Do you not have enough of the fabric to play around until you can get each piece layed out so they all match up right?  Or is it something else (w/o seeing the fabric I can't visualize the problem).

Anyhoo.... if you don't have enough fabric, can you put the border only on the front and leave the back plain?  Or can you put the border on just part of the bodice (just the sides or just the center panel)?  Or will that be totally bizarre looking?  Can you go back & get another cut of fabric?   Undecided

Definitely don't cut on the bias unless the pattern specifically says it's OK.  Bias is stretchy and I'd worry by the end of the evening your bodice will have migrated south.   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atomic mary
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007 10:03:00 PM »

i guess the reason that the boarder print is not going to match up is because i needed to make a full bust adjustment. so there is an extra 2'' added to the center front to make it long enough and 2'' added to the side piece that makes it almost a semi circle as opposed to more straight piece. if it was more straight i think it would match. it's really hard to explain but i don't know how to show you either. i have lots of fabric to play around with but don't want to cut it up if it's not going to work.  i can't get anymore (it was from last year, i've been waiting for the perfect thing!) i know that the bias is stretchy but was thinking of interfacing the side front pieces. i definately don't want it heading south at least until i've had a few drinks and  because I want it to head south ( i am joking Roll Eyes)
i did have another idea, not sure it's going to work either. if i make the dress without the boarder, but put the boarder on as a reverse facing. does that make sense?
i may have to wait for another perfect thing.
thank you for trying to understand what i mean and for the help you were trying to give me.
atomic mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onemoreseam
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007 08:45:59 AM »

Ahhh, gotcha--cuz w/the addition the pieces curve now?

Will the middle panel fit on the border?  If so, I'd cut it that way and then I'd match the 2 sides so the border pattern matches up w/the middle panel and let the parts that will be under your armpits fall away from the border.  Depending on how you want the back to look, I'd either do the same in back (trying to get armpit areas to match up w/front) or I'd cut the back plain w/o border.  Hope that makes sense.  I don't do a lot of work w/borders... maybe someone w/more experience will comment.   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atomic mary
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007 03:38:45 PM »

yep, now you've got it. the side pieces curve soo much and the front is still straight. i haven't done any work with boarders on the top like this before. i think i may just leave it for now. put that piece of fabric away and just think about it longingly for awhile. something will come up i'm sure.
thank you for you replies though
atomic mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Despicable Me, The Kids Are All Right, & Predators
How to Create New Sequences Quickly in Premiere Pro CS5
What Not to Do During an Acting Audition
Good Advice for Young Directors
How to Approach a Monologue in Acting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...