A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
776 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mother! A tee to wee dress tutorial  (Read 38586 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , reconstructed , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« on: April 19, 2007 04:19:54 PM »

My husband had an older than god danzig tee that he is terribly attached to but frayed at the cuffs and too small to boot.  I cut it up in the middle of the night so I didn't have to hear him whimper.

First up:
the pattern is a trace from an existing dress.  I've been using this nice A-line pattern for all of my tee recons because the shape is so nice. 

To make a sleeve pattern  I traced the shape of the sleeve onto paper

and then added some seam allowances and extra at the top for a bit of puff (but not too much with the knit material b/c they end up looking like little football players)

so, the doomed tee,

fold fron in half and put the front pattern over it

for this one the design was too big for the chest area so I did a little patching.  I just folded the front pattern piece on the waist line and cut out the design plus a bit of seam allowance on the side.

then took the name off the sleeve and cut out a the bottom plus a bit for seam allowance. 

and, here they are:

The back was just a simple cut from the back of the tee

sleeves were cut from the most horrible maternity shirt ever.  If you are using stripes, watch which way you cut so they don't end up looking odd.

I also cut out the bottom ruffle.  Mine is 3 inches.

So, all pieced together with the ruffle on

to make the lettuce edges I used a rolled hem stitch on the serger while stretching the fabric.  The same effect can be made with a zigzag stitch on a regular machine (stitch off edge with a wide but tight zigzag). 

My bottom ruffle didn't ruffle very good - probably because I had cut along the not very stretchy way of the knit (check it out, one way stretches more than the other and you want to cut crosswise along the stretch)

So,
I decided the dress was missing something at this point so I cut up another tee I'd saved for recons and added a second ruffle (also roll hemmed one edge).  I also cut some bias tape from the red tee for the neckline.

This is me attaching the second ruffle.  There's lots of ways to do this, but I just stitched if right along above the first (right sides together) and then added a second line of stitching to lift the ruffle high enough for nice layered effect.

The sleeves went on the usual way.  (okay, I'm getting lazy, but I can answer questions here if anyone has them)

I chalked a line across the back to mark where I wanted to gather 

and shirred 3 short lines there.  To clear any confusion here, I wound elastic thread in the bobbin by hand

And then put it in the machine and set it up as usual.  A long straight stitch (using regular thead in the needle) gives you the gathered shirring.

I also used 2 lines of shirring on the sleeves to gather them in

And, viola!

Questions?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007 05:15:02 PM by vegbee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShaynaYasha
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007 04:35:49 PM »

Holy Canoli!!  This is the coolest by far. I'm going downstairs now to grab some of my husbands old concert shirts right now (You didn't think I'd use mine, did you?)  Tongue  Great tutorial!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

""Mother is the name of God on the lips and hearts of all children."- Eric Draven"
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007 04:40:09 PM »

What a fabulous tut.I think that you are an incredibly kind crafter to share it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
msalowishus

Virginia is for lovers.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007 04:51:03 PM »

thats so cute. i love all the colors together. can't wait to see the pic of her in it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007 05:22:26 PM »

my hubby loves Danzig & we think this rocks! YOU GO!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
kcjc
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007 05:40:37 PM »

Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial with us! I have a stack of t-shirts that are just begging to become kiddo dresses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shyster
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007 05:59:32 PM »

Brilliant tutorial. I'm such a sucker for image-heavy step-by-step instructions! You've just inspired me to reconstruct two 3x concert tees that the spouse and I have not been able to relinquish because of the singer's identity/memories.

Nice bit of added flair with the red...that is totally the sort of afterthought for which I am known, in these parts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007 08:58:46 PM »

vegbee--you have one of the best dressed kids due to your creativity and sewing talent!!  This is so cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheytown
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007 09:05:28 PM »

Fantastic! Thank you thank you thank you for the tut! I was actually trying to figure out how to do something like this today - lucky me that you've saved me some work! The kid is ADORABLE - looks like she's walkin' the runway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007 09:22:45 PM »

Thanks all!  Can't wait to see your wee dresses.

The kid is ADORABLE - looks like she's walkin' the runway.
That is the look she gets when she's on a mission.  I'm lying on the floor here, vulnerable, and this was shot moments before she flung herself onto me to try to lick my nose (dont ask, but she somehow figured out this drives me nuts).  Look at the picture again - she's not always sweet and innocent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Coconut Curry with Veggies
How to Prepare Broccoli Teriyaki
How to Make a Big Mac Sushi Roll
Shake It Up - Miso Dressing Recipe
Kitchen Kids: Making a Bento Lunch Box
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...