A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trans-Atlantic Flying Supplies  (Read 660 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jezzyloo
« on: April 19, 2007 02:57:59 AM »

So my boyfriancé and his family (4 total) are going to Zurich this summer, and it will be his first time on a loooong plane ride. I've been reading the how-to for being comfortable on a long flight at wikihow.com (Link) and I've decided to make a little travel kit for him and his family.

This is what I have so far:
Wax earplugs, neck pillow (they can share, as I am broke :p), fuzzy socks, lip balm, gum, sleepy pills, wet ones, hand-made eyeshades (with custom prints to suit each of them), listerine pocket pack, a little booklet with helpful techniques to keep your blood circulating and your ears from getting too pressured along with a time zone schedule, sudoku book, and if they're not too expensive, calling cards.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Smiley
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007 03:14:08 AM by jezzyloo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007 02:20:51 PM »

I travel a lot, and am no stranger to the needs on long flights. 

I suggest getting Ear Planes ear plugs; these are ear plugs that block air from the ear and keep the pressure equalized.  This prevents ear pain on landing.  But they have to be put in before take off and left in the whole flight.  These are available at drug stores.

On a related topic, ear pain is especially bad if you are congested, and it can do lasting damage to your ears as I discovered to my dismay on my last transatlantic flight.  Decongestants are a very good thing to have.  Deodorant is also nice.  Everything else sounds awesome! 

Oh, one other little thing; neck pillows are very simply constructed.  If you have access to a sewing machine, you could whip out enough for the whole fam for the cost of one retail.  Stuff them with some kind of husk or grain, or microbeads from the craft store......much more comfortable than the stuffed kind, take my word.  You could also make eye masks to match very easily Wink

Oh, and sugary snacks.  Always good to have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
reenreen

crafting by request

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007 07:15:43 PM »

I travel heaps as well

Ear pain is the killer. Chewing gum has always been helpful for me. It helps your ears pop and stop the pain of the change is air pressure.

Also when i first started travelling, i'd always get a cold after a long flight. I figured out this was mainly due to the airconditioning in the plain. I was fine as long as i was dehydrated. Granted you have to go to the toilet more but that helps fight deep vein thrombosis!

On that note, tight long socks or anything that increases the blood circulation in the legs is a good idea

Also...if you can get your hands on a phone card with whatever currency he'll be using, might be sweet
THIS ROCKS   Logged

she rambles oddly
http://pixelhazard.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gordon Matta Clark and Rirkrit Tiravanija at David Zwirner
Tony Matelli, New Works, Leo Koenig Gallery
Tobias Buche, at Lehmann Maupin
How to Make a Paper Mache Baby Dragon
How to Make a Paper Mache Fishwichwich
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...