A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Fair Isle! Green, white and pink Inga Hat  (Read 4603 times)
Tags for this thread: inga_hat , hat , knit  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aschnebly
I'm AliceKathryn on Ravelry :)

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2007 07:17:21 PM »

Pattern: Inga Hat a free pattern from Ewenique Fiber
http://eweniquefiber.blogspot.com/2006/11/free-knitting-pattern-inga-hat.html
Yarn: KnitPicks Merino Style in Mint (23445) , Vanilla (23444), and Rhubarb (23443)
Needles: Addi Turbo size 3 16 circular, Denise size 5 17 circular

I am quite pleased with how this hat turned out!  There are so many things I like about it: the yarn, the colors, and the way the pattern really came together row by row.  I wish I would have loosened up while knitting it, it is pretty puckered from my floats being too tight.  I didn't keep my color dominance the same throughout either, I don't think.  It's definitely not perfect, but I love it all the same!  Grin

Let me know what you think, I bought the pattern for EunnyJang's Anemoi Mitts so I'm hoping I can dive into those now that I have a little practice with stranded knitting.

There's some more info and reflections on the process on the blog if you're interested!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pawnshoppromises
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007 07:22:43 PM »

That is gorgeous! Wisted!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 Personal Swaps and can crochet pretty much anything! PM me!

My Etsy
My Ravelry
My Wist
kelliz
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007 07:31:40 PM »

It looks so good!  For you 1st Fair Isle, it's fantastic.  I just did my 1st Fair Isle, too, and mine is super tight.  It must be something you have to train yourself to knit looser. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
July_July
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007 07:40:31 PM »

Wow, so so gorgeous!  (My fair isle always ends up tight and puckered.)  The pattern looks like so much fun!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neggie
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007 07:53:40 PM »

This is amazing. A lot of times I see tacky, folksy fairisle (which is why I haven't taught myself yet  Undecided), but this is really classic and awesome! I might have to try to knit one of my own up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kinderbean
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007 08:03:13 PM »

Wow your first fair isle? It's so pretty! I can only hope mine will be half as good, when I get up the guts to try it. I'm so jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007 08:10:00 PM »

wow! amazing. the colors are absolutely perfect. the pink sets it off really nicely. it's seriously seriously perfect. i can't get over it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007 08:16:06 PM »

Wow, so so gorgeous!  (My fair isle always ends up tight and puckered.)  The pattern looks like so much fun!  Grin
It is really fun.  Once I started I couldn't put it down.  I knit on it almost constantly for two days!

Wow your first fair isle? It's so pretty! I can only hope mine will be half as good, when I get up the guts to try it. I'm so jealous!
Thanks, I just saw the pattern and instantly knew I had to have it.  The second my yarn arrived I jumped right in.  It was so fun!

wow! amazing. the colors are absolutely perfect. the pink sets it off really nicely. it's seriously seriously perfect. i can't get over it.
Thank you, I love the colors too. Pink, green, and white has to be one of my all time favorite combos Smiley

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, I guess "loosening up" is just something I'll have to get used to.  It's so hard not to pull on that extra yarn when it's right there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007 08:18:05 PM »

hmmm i have some random balls of merino style in my stash....i might have to make this, its too cute! I think the colors i have are vanilla, leaf and some kind of pink, not sure if its the rhubarb...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
dollface
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007 08:20:30 PM »

oh my! that is beautiful! i love the colors you picked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oublei
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007 01:10:58 AM »

Amazing! I just finished my first fair isle project today (much less complex) and you totally have me convinced that this should be my second project! Cheesy

Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007 01:33:57 AM »

i feel so in love with this hat that i cast on a few hours ago and i'm already a few rows into the fair isle, its a really great pattern and i love the braided edge
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
wists
april_cocaine
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007 02:48:57 AM »

gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007 08:30:19 AM »

i feel so in love with this hat that i cast on a few hours ago and i'm already a few rows into the fair isle, its a really great pattern and i love the braided edge

Awesome!  I totally agree, it's a unique feature and I had never done an edging like that before.  I haven't seen any other finished versions of this hat, so I'm excited to see yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ang_k
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007 07:43:13 AM »

that is so beautiful. i can only hope my first attempt at fairisle goes so well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinderella Undercover
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007 08:20:41 AM »

Your hat strikes me as a modern take on a classic look.  The colours you chose are perfect and you did an amazing job!
Supi.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cinderella's Undercover but you can catch a glimpse here:
http://thisismyspotat.blogspot.com
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007 08:30:38 AM »

well i'm over halfway into the pattern and i'm concerned that the hat is going to be too tall, did you have any problems with that? I've actually knit sweaters and socks but wouldn't you know it, this is my first hat, i'm just concerned its going to be huge
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
wists
Nitty
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007 09:01:05 AM »

Beautiful job!!  I love it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007 09:49:51 AM »

well i'm over halfway into the pattern and i'm concerned that the hat is going to be too tall, did you have any problems with that? I've actually knit sweaters and socks but wouldn't you know it, this is my first hat, i'm just concerned its going to be huge

Let's see I'm measuring my row guage right now... I got about 8.5 rows/inch.  It comes downs right over my ears and across the middle of my forehead.  I hope that helps a little bit!  I can't wait to see your finished version!

Thanks for the compliments everyone.  I find myself wishing it was cold out so I coudl actually wear this hat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kbelle
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007 11:08:38 AM »

That is so gorgeous, and what a sophisticated pattern.  Nice choice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007 12:19:45 PM »

your first fair isle??? i can hardly believe it! it looks amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.c om

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
redwitch
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007 10:38:49 PM »

I never thought I'd learn stranded colourwork because I had never seen an attractive item made with it. The I saw Eunny's Endpaper mitts and fell hard, did those as my first colourwork and they turned out great, I have just finished the Anemoi mittens and I don't think you'll have any huge problems, but I wouldn't recommend them for someone who was new to colourwork (unless they did a huge swatch that went well to get the technique down). But make your cuff very loosely, it will very easily become too tight to fit over your hand, and do a really thorough swatch.
Eunny has a post called 'Tips, Tricks and Treats', I think, with good tips on doing stranded colourwork. The only thing I would add is that the wonky DPN joins can be prevented by turning the item inside out and knitting that way.
Even with great tension, colourwork will nearly always look slightly wonky, but blocking fixed that on both my SC items and they now look absolutely perfect tension-wise. Do a thorough block where the item soaks in water for 15-20 minutes to get the fibres totally saturated, and don't be afraid to block it to a bit bigger.

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ambraqi
Me and Einstein chillin'.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007 10:58:58 PM »

I love the colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*My Wists*

*Ravelry*

I <3 Personal Swaps!!!!
tina123
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007 11:06:14 PM »

This is a very beautiful hat, very nice work.

Tina
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arnogg

Stand up & SHOUT!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007 04:25:51 AM »

Your hat looks awesome!  I love the colors (green is my favorite:))  Beautiful fair isle, this might just go on my to do list...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2007 09:34:35 AM »

Thanks, all, and thanks redwitch for all those good tips.  They will be really helpful when I start my Anemoi mittens, now I just have to find the perfect yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Attach Binding Strips Onto a Quilt
About the Expert: Lion Brand Yarn Studio
About the Experts: Cynthia Mann and Melissa Lunden
How to Set Up a Face Painting Booth
Trick Out Your Model Train Layout
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...