A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photo Lamp Shade  (Read 3053 times)
Tags for this thread: lampshade , picture  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2004 04:47:58 PM »

So I've had this lamp forever and have never been able to find a lampshade I liked.  All were too boring.  So I decided I needed to make my own.
On the left is the finish shade and on the right is the shade about half way through.  The close-up is of the attachment of the transparency.   
The photos were printed with an inkjet printer onto inkjet transparences like the kind you'd use for overhead projectors in school.  Next, I cut the photos to fit my wire shade base leaving about an inch extra on the top edge. (Yes, I made the wire shade part too.  Shape wire, wrap with finer wire and solder as needed.) I painted the backside of the transparencies with white acrylic paint until they were opaque enough.  While it was drying, I added the beads to the frame by first stringing beads on a fine wire.  Then, I attached them by laying the beaded wire along the frame and wrapped another wire around them to hold them in place.  After the paint dried, I folded the top inch of transparency over and used a small hole punch to punch holes along the top and bottom edge.  Next, using the fine wire, I attached the top edge of all four photos by the same method as with the beads.  Then, I attached the bottom edge.  Done! The bulb is 40watts and the shade is about 2 inches from the bulb.  Seems to stay cool when it is left on for a while and since the transparencies are for similar situations, I think it will be ok as a shade.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
noelle
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004 04:52:39 PM »

ooh, that's so clever!
the colors look great with the base, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gelatogorilla
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004 08:53:16 PM »

a similar idea is to use slides to create a lamp shade. just pick out a bunch of slides. (try finding old fun ones at garage sales or use your own!) put em together with wire and viola!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004 04:55:48 PM »

Actually, I saw the idea about 3 years ago in New Orleans but the store one was on a pre-extisting frame and was plain with black and white photos.  They had backed the transparencies with thin plexiglass and used all silver wire on it but I used copper, silver and fire wire black as that was what I had lying around and had to skip the plexi as mine is all really thick stuff.  Since I had to make the frame, the beads I added hide the nasty seam work.  I should really stick to sewing.

If anyone is interested in the slide idea, it is from ReadyMade in the July 2004 issue.  Check the archives under issue 12 at www.readymademag.com .   Stevenjames here on Craftster was the source so if you run in to trouble, there you go.  It looks really easy when I just looked back at that issue.  It uses jump rings to connect the slides which is cool and can probably be done with the transparencies too!  They are hard to tear.  It would give you a super slick modern look.  OR You could add some art to the slide frames with paint, markers, pencils, paper and such to make it more to go with any decor.  I unluckily have no slides laying around and I doubt my father would like me to raid his collection from my younger years. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magickalcreation
Ninja Master

Youre just jealous cause the lil voices talk to me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004 06:16:40 PM »

I LOVE THISSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!
AWESOME IDEA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Digsy LaRaspberry

Voracious eater of music

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004 02:57:26 PM »

Wow. Now that is awesome! I can't wait until we get a new inkjet or a litre of colour ink for the one we have now. Another thing to do on my quest to redecorate my room...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miakoda
plunderbunny!

huh?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004 01:11:21 PM »

It looks fabulous! Nice job (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hey, it's a thingie! a fiendish thingie!
-george harrison
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author George Taber Talks About His Personal Life
New Book by Kathy Reichs: 206 Bones
Author Ellen Hopkins Gets Real About Tricks
Tips from Bestselling Author Lee Eisenberg
Margaret Peterson Haddix Talks About Claim to Fame
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...