A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
817 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft/Fabric Shops - Everywhere Else!  (Read 3546 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2007 09:48:36 AM »

Hey guys! Please submit your favorite craft/art/fabric stores... well, everywhere else because I'm not so sure how to divide up the state! Wink (let me know if you know how to lol)

If you can provide an address, that would be great- but if not just the name would be awesome and I'll try to find the address!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007 12:08:28 PM »

There's a really great new independent fabric store in Charlottesville, in the Preston Plaza shopping center a few doors down from Integral Yoga Natural Foods. Quilters definitely need to make a stop, as they have a lot of colorful cottons. I also spied some out of print sewing patterns. They have some of that fabric with skulls of various sizes arranged in a vortext pattern, "Fun with Dick and Jane" print, and a really cute print (in the halloween section) of pinup girls in sexy halloween costumes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009 10:28:03 AM »

Two newish fabric shops in Richmond on Robinson Street.  Fleur Fabrics, right next door to Halcyon, which is Grove and Robinson.  And an Upholstery Fabric shop behind Acacia near the corner of Cary and Robinson.  I've been to Fleur Fabrics several times and they are AWESOME.  Oil cloth, organic jersey knits, and some vintage fabrics and notions. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blungoldangel
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009 10:58:45 AM »

Miss Violaceous:
Do you know the name of the store? I leave near C'ville but I didn't know about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweet_communist
the communist daughter

What we need more of is science.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010 08:22:08 PM »

In Richmond, there's a good yarn and knitting (and presumably crocheting) store in Carytown called The Yarn Lounge.  It has classes and seems to specialize in natural fibers.  Here is their website, which includes the address and phone number: http://www.theyarnlounge.com/indexcontentthanks.html

I took a drawing course at one of the local universities two summers ago for art credit at my own (non-local) college, and I got my drawing supplies at Main Art Supply & Framing (http://www.mainartsupply.com/index.html).  They sell all manner of art supplies but seem to specialize in those for painting and drawing.  The staff is very helpful.

I used to work at one of the Ben Franklin locations in Richmond, but I assume people would rather patronize locally-owned businesses, so I won't list any of the BF branches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katsanders
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010 06:41:19 AM »

In Richmond, there is Quilting Adventures.  They have loads of classes and things, which are listed on their web site.

Quilting Adventures
The Shops at Willow Lawn
1601 Willow Lawn Drive #108, Richmond, VA 23230
(804) 262-0005

www.quiltingadventu res.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: Wicked Pride
gimmemoresalad
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010 01:55:16 PM »

Fun fact from another former Richmond Ben Franklin employee (and older sister of a current Richmond Ben Franklin employee): until very recently, the Richmond Ben Franklins WERE locally owned, by the Strang-Hatcher Corporation based in Mechanicsville.  The actual owner was a man named Mr. Tennant and he used to come visit each store every couple of days or so and stress everybody out.

He owned all of the 6 Richmond-area stores.  They just buy the use of the "Ben Franklin" name, and that is really the only way they are related to any other Ben Franklin store anywhere else.  Most of the Ben Franklin stores around the country are actually five and dimes, not even craft stores. 

The six Richmond stores were bought by Sbars, their primary supplier, within the past year or so (I want to say in 2009).  I am not entirely sure whether Sbars bought the stores directly or if they took over Strang-Hatcher.

(I worked at the Short Pump store beginning in 2005, in high school.  I worked there for 14 months straight, then started college.  I continued to work at BF when I was at home on school breaks until very early January, 2010.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012 06:00:38 AM »

My favorite fabric shop ever is in Martinsville.  The Sewing Studio.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beer Brats Recipe
How to Make Pork and Hominy Stew Part 3/3
How to Make Pork and Hominy Stew Part 1/3
How to Make Pork and Hominy Stew Part 2/3
How To Make a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...