A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,191
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Continuous zip purses *now with tutorial*  (Read 42299 times)
Tags for this thread: zipper , purse , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mickncrispy
« on: April 17, 2007 03:10:49 AM »

Ok, I went back to work today from the Easter break and one of the girls in the office had a handbag that she purchased in USA at Christmas made from a continuous zip.  Everyone oohed and aaahed and completely freaked out that such a thing was possible and I grinned from ear to ear admiring its crafty goodness.  She said she wanted a small purse made the same way but couldn't find one.  Stupid comment #1 from me:  Too easy I'll make you one! (Ha, I had no idea how to start).  Really she said, but I'm leaving work next Friday, I'll pick it up in the next couple of weeks.
Stupid comment #2 from me:  No problems, I'll make it tonight and you can have it tomorrow. (Ha Ha, still had no idea how to start).  Wow that would be great she says, I'll pay you if you do.
Stupid comment #3 from me:  No, don't do that, it will be an experiment anyway.  (Yep, that's an understatement).
So I went to the shop to purchase 4 meters of continuous zipper.  The shop keeper could not understand why I would need 4 meters of zip for a purse  Huh (ah ha, must go back in and show him why). So without further ado....... my attempts at not one, but two zip purses!!

And my little mate hoot that I crafted yesterday.

Continuous Zipper Purse Tutorial

This is the method that I worked out to make these purses.  This may not be the only way to make these; in fact this may not even be the best way but feel free to use this tutorial to make your own zipper purses.  I would love to see the finished purses you make.

1.   Start at the top end of the zipper with the teeth closed, sew a bar tack or a few zig zag stitches across the teeth to keep the zip pull from coming off (not pictured)

2.   Fold the end of the zip back around 6 or however wide you want your purse.  Fold so that the right sides of the zip are facing.  Sew a very narrow seam starting from the fold.  Sew until you reach the bar tack which should be about 1/8 inch from the end of the zip.

3.   With the needle in the lowest position, raise your presser foot and rotate the top part of the zip until the narrow end is lying parallel to the long edge of the zip underneath and continue sewing your narrow seam, stopping a couple of mm from the edge of the narrow end.

4.   Keep your needle in the lowest position and raise the presser foot again, pivoting the top  half of the zipper until the long sides are again parallel like they were when you first started.  Keep sewing a narrow seam around and around in circles until the purse is the desired height.  Mark with a pin on the bottom round where the corner of the purse will be.  This should be directly below the fold in the top of the purse like pictured.  Sew your seam to approx inch short of this pin and remove the purse from the machine.

5.  Ensure the zip is open across the top and turn the purse inside out and lay it flat so that the unsewn edges of the bottom of the purse are in line.  Start sewing from the folded unsewn edge to the other end stopping opposite your finished stitches from the other side.  Remove the purse from the machine and sew across the end of the short end of the zip to close the gap that you left when sewing up the sides.

6.   Turn your purse right side out.  The top and bottom should look like this:
     BOTTOM

Finished!!!!!  I hope this was clear enough.  If you have any problems I will do my best to help you out.  Don't forget to post pics of your finished purses!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010 08:45:31 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ive got a perfect body, though sometimes I forget
Ive got a perfect body cause my eyelashes catch my sweat
Yes, they do, they do
violentlyknits
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007 03:17:19 AM »

wow! what a great idea! and amazing how you figured out how to make it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you take the things you like, and try to love the things you took.
mickncrispy
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007 03:23:24 AM »

Thanks!!  Luckily for me it really wasn't as difficult as I first imagined.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, they do, they do
LilMissPink
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007 03:47:03 AM »

i've always wanted one of those, too, a lot of people have them in my school in all kinds of color stripes but i really like yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
mickncrispy
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007 04:00:21 AM »

a lot of people have them in my school in all kinds of color stripes but i really like yours!
  wow different colours would be very cool.  I have no idea how that would be done as it's made out of only one zipper.  Hmm, now you have me wondering if there is some way to join zippers to each other so that they can still open and close....now that would be awesome cause then I could use up all those useless scraps off the ends of other zips
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, they do, they do
Muria
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007 04:07:33 AM »

I think the striped ones are more like making two rectangles of "fabric" out of zippers, then sewing them together (most of the ones I've seen had multiple zipper heads).  Cool project!  Was it hard to keep the zipper from buckling at corners and such (hope you know what I mean by that)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
kbbtfg
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007 04:09:59 AM »

For not knowing what exactly you were going to do, it sure turned out good. I love your hoot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katies1969

Where's Cana and why wasn't I invited?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007 04:15:21 AM »

I am on a really old mac and so pictures are always so dark grrrrrr Angry  Is the purse JUST zipper - no fabric?  Or does the zipper run all the way around and you can unzip it fully?  I love novelty stuff and either sounds fun.  A tute would be awesome Cheesy thanks - and yes I am getting a new computer !!! Thanks, Katie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is pain, Your Highness,  anyone who tells you different is selling something."

"There are just some things a monkey can't explain to a weiner dog." CG

I Have a Wist - http://www.wists.com/katies1969/

http://www.katies1969.blogspot.com
purplexime
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007 04:38:11 AM »

Great job.  How long did you take to make them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mickncrispy
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007 05:21:36 AM »

Yeah, its just zip no fabric and undoes out to just a big strip. The strip in the middle pic is the second bag all undone.  I'd be happy to do a tute but I will have to wait until next week when I get another length of zip because I think it would be a little confusing to just talk you through it. 
Was it hard to keep the zipper from buckling at corners and such (hope you know what I mean by that)?
  No, its sewn in a big tube, there's only two seams in the whole bag, one seam is the width of the top of the bag to finish the zip and the other seam just goes around and around in a circle.  I'm not sure how long they took.  The first one took a little longer cause I was trying to work out how they went together but the second one probably took about 20 - 30 mins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, they do, they do
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get The Perfect Spray Tan at Home
5 Beauty Tips and Trends for Prom
One-Stop Shop for the Best in Beauty
Burgundy Eyes and Lips Tutorial
Allover Bronzer Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...