A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pattern Pricing Conundrum!!??  (Read 813 times)
Tags for this thread: pricing , pattern_pricing  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gm4style

All your craft are belong to me!

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2007 10:44:47 AM »

I am starting a pattern line... soon!
I know what prices I would like to sell my patters for. They will be professionally printed and packaged with clear instructions and images. I was just wondering what price the Craftster set would be willing to pay for unique patterns.
The line will consist of handbags of all sizes, clothing and sewing accessories mostly based on "quiling" details... with a twist!

There are a MILLION patternmaking companies out there and I know their prices, but I was just wondering how much you would or have paid for a cool pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hot... Sweaty... Craft on Craft Action!
itscribe
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007 03:33:20 PM »

I don't have a specific answer to give you as I mostly make my own designs, but I have a couple of suggestions.

You may or may not have seen the somewhat heated discussion about patterns, selling items from patterns and licensing.

Part of the answer to your question will depend upon your strategy for folks who wish to sell items made from your patterns - I know for fact that there are lots of folks selling purses and looking for patterns to use - same goes for quilting. If you have not already done so, I would strongly encourage you to read and consider all of the comments in that thread.

The second part of the answer would depend on the patterns themselves and the quality of the instructions.

Are the purses very similar to the Jordy pattern? - if so, not many Craftsters are going to buy them, others might, just not folks from here

Are similar patterns freely available on the net somewhere? - if so, are they easy to find or somewhat hidden

Are you selling patterns with one purse or several in each envelope?

Do you have a free pattern online somewhere where we could look and see how original your designs are and how well you explain things?

I thought it was quite clever the way several of the crochet pattern makers here freely gave away patterns before they started selling them. They were able to make sure they were providing clear instructions and worked out the quirks before asking folks for money.
I am a tech writer by trade and can tell you many folks think they can write instructional materials - knowledge alone is not enough. Many instructions assume way to much of the reader's understanding of techniques and placement for the instructions to be usable.

The other pattern makers developed their name and folks here learned that their patterns were understandable as well as doable. I don't know if you have been doing that or not, but I would certainly do that as a way to get you name known.

I look forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve and what the "twist" is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Home Style Fried Chicken
How To Cook Asparagus
Italian Sausage & Stuffed Mushrooms Recipes
Baked Potato
Seafood Gumbo
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...