A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Meters and Meters of Red Satin?  (Read 795 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Murphy88

My Mom made and designed my dress!!

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2007 08:24:56 AM »

My mom is making my bridesmaid dresses and she has tons of left over fabric because we got it on super sale. Anybody have any decor ideas for 5ish meters of red satin?

I was thinking maybe reception table something but we might be getting red table cloths already. I thought maybe some kind of banner to hang behind the head table but it is going to be in a tent. Would that be wierd?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mimichica
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007 03:56:44 PM »

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/arpil.html
You could make these for your bridal party or guests coming out of town. you could probably do other projects with the rest of the fabric too. (I don't sew, and I have no idea how much fabric you need for these. I just saw them and thought they were nifty)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saralynne
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007 08:46:18 PM »

What about...

Ring pillow?
Garter?
Purses for your bridesmaids?
Depending what weight of satin, some slinky nighties for you?
a robe for you
Table runners
Swap for something you need

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Murphy88

My Mom made and designed my dress!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007 09:40:10 PM »

Thanks for the ideas guys.

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/arpil.html
You could make these for your bridal party or guests coming out of town.
These are so cool. I love the thought of making them for out of town guests... or honeymooners too. Haha.

What about...

Ring pillow?
Garter?
Purses for your bridesmaids?
Depending what weight of satin, some slinky nighties for you?
a robe for you
Table runners
Swap for something you need

Unfortunately we aren't having a ring bearer because no kids are coming to the wedding. Purses or a robe would be neat but I can't ask my mom to do anymore sewing and I am not confident enough in my sewing to attempt anything complicated in such a difficult and fancy fabric.

I could probably handle a garter though and it would be really fun to have a red one. I would still have mounds of leftover fabric though haha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*MAR*
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007 07:00:49 AM »

We're not having ring bearers either, no kids of appropriate age in the mix. So, in order to include our Moms into our (rather) brief ceremony, we've asked them each to create a pillow and be a part of the ceremony by holding on to our rings for us. They are both excited about being a part of the ceremony, and making the pillows keeps them busy! (insert evil laugh..... Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007 01:46:35 PM »

you could cover a picture frame or incorporate it into a card box...  or maybe cover your guestbook?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007 01:50:48 PM »

Could you make flowers out of the satin? It would take a while but with that much fabric you could make a ton. Invest in some wire and some of that green floral tape for stems, maybe, or you could do a wreath/arch full.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancingrabbit
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007 02:04:22 PM »

Purses or a robe would be neat but I can't ask my mom to do anymore sewing and I am not confident enough in my sewing to attempt anything complicated in such a difficult and fancy fabric.

I could probably handle a garter though and it would be really fun to have a red one. I would still have mounds of leftover fabric though haha!

If you must use it now, drape it over your guestbook table or somewhere similar and tuck the unfinished ends in.  Then the fabric can be reused for another project that you'll be able to enjoy in years to come.  I love the idea of a nice robe or slip.  Maybe after your mom recovers from her marathon dress-sewing, she can tackle something else for you.  (plus by then you'll be sick of the lingerie you bought for your honeymoon and dying for something new.)

When I got married, I fell in love with this sleeveless dress, but the wedding was in December.  So, my MIL(to be) made a satin wrap for me to wear before and after the ceremony.  And from there, the fabric became our Christmas tree skirt.  Eventually I may further recycle it in a quilt or something heirloom-ish for one of our children.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007 02:25:03 PM »

Your original idea of a banner would be very pretty. And the easiest idea so far.  Red is a lucky color for Chinese weddings...

You could put out a fabric pen and ask for autographs and good wishes....

but then you might not want to use it for naughty underwear later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Singing Opera Teaches Pursuit of Excellence - Dan Street
Nick Catanese Interview
Learn About Stained Glass Art
Learn about Glass Art
The Art of Turkish Quilting
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...