A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
397 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: holding yarn with continental  (Read 2128 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lillizzyl
« on: April 15, 2007 05:58:01 PM »

so i'm traditionally a thrower, but in an attempt to knit faster have taken up practicing my continental.  the problem is that i can't seem to find a comfortable way to hold the yarn.  every way i've tried either cuts off the circulation to my fingers (wrapping the yarn around like instructions tell to) or leaves the yarn too slack to pick.

for those of you who knit continental, how do you hold your yarn?  or perhaps maybe there are some tips so that i won't have this problem?  Huh

any advice would be greatly appreciated  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gummy
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007 06:21:38 PM »

I hold the yarn wrapped around my first finger only--and only around the outside--(not wound around the other fingers) holding the yarn with the ball end with the rest of my fingers...this is really complicated.  If I find my camera I'll take a picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'magicaljennybella.blogspot.com')

Ravelry: Jennybella
Jodi1978
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007 08:33:36 PM »

I hold my yarn over little finger, under next two fingers, and over index finger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007 08:49:55 PM »

I hold my yarn the same way I hold it when I'm crocheting... over my palm, around my middle finger to my index.

It might take you some time to find a way to wrap your yarn around your finger/hand but once you find your way... it'll make it a whole lot easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennBabe
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007 09:24:22 PM »

I wrap the yarn around my middle finger... never seen anyone else do it that way, but it works best for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007 11:30:31 PM »

I start by wrapping the yarn around my pinkie and then twice around my forefinger.  I had to learn to loosen the tension - when I learned the stitches couldn't move on the needle!  For a while, I improvised, but my tension was always wonky.  Finally, when I was teaching a workshop (and had to look like I knew what I was doing Wink) I reverted back to how my knitting teacher taught me, and have been knitting that way ever since.  I find my tension is always even, though, now and that my purls match my knit stitches.  (I find that if I pull from the ball every dozen stitches or so, it keeps the stitches from getting tight)

I took a picture, in hopes of it helping:

But, as I tell my students, there's no "right" way to do anything - so it's always best to experiment and see if you can find a way that works for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
detritus
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007 11:33:30 PM »

I wrap the yarn around my middle finger and then over my index finger, so I can regulate the tension by holding my index finger higher or lower. I've found that helps me get the most even gauge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jodi1978
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007 11:12:57 AM »

I dont wrap mine at all. Just loose between my fingers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lillizzyl
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007 12:21:41 PM »

thanks guys!  i've been trying every way i can think of, but i'll have to see how your ways work since i'm not satisfied with how my tries have felt.  its funny, because i can tell how continental would be faster than throwing, but this seems to cancel out with all the time i've tried to figure out actually doing it.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007 02:08:00 PM »

thanks guys!  i've been trying every way i can think of, but i'll have to see how your ways work since i'm not satisfied with how my tries have felt.  its funny, because i can tell how continental would be faster than throwing, but this seems to cancel out with all the time i've tried to figure out actually doing it.  Tongue
Be patient with yourself. You're learning a new way of doing something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Bake Amish Friendship Bread
In The Kitchen - Halibut
How to barbeque with plank
How to Make Fresh Dill Potato Salad
Make Potato Salad with Bacon & Mustard Vinaigrette
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...