A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,523
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Petticoat: Broadcloth or tulle/netting?  (Read 969 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fishinabowl
« on: April 15, 2007 04:26:26 PM »

My friend has requested a petticoat for a summer dress. The skirt of the dress is knife pleated along the top so there is some fullness to the skirt.
I going to add the layers onto the individual tiers to create gradual built up of fullness since she has an hourglass figure.
 For example, 1st tier has 1 layer, 2nd has 2, 3rd has 4, 4th has 8.
She asked me if it was possible to use broadcloth/cotton instead of tulle/netting.

I have a few questions:
1) In order to achieve the same fullness as tulle, does it require more broadcloth?
2) what are the pros and cons of using broadcloth for a crinoline style petticoat?
3) any suggestions for other types of fabric to use instead of tulle/netting?

Here is a picture of what I am aiming for:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007 06:35:33 PM by fishinabowl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A sushi chef meets a kung fu fighter.. it was a violent cook off.
deathslilsister

elegantly waisted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007 06:31:41 PM »

I don't think broadcloth would be stiff enough to stand out as much as tulle, unless you starched the crap out of it, but then you'd have to starch it again after every time you washed it.  If your friend is worried about the tulle scratching her legs, you could do a broadcloth lining inside (like a slip attached to the inside waist) to keep the tulle away from her skin.  There are probably stiffer cottons out there that you could use instead of broadcloth, but you should probably get a sample and pre-wash it to make sure it would hold its shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007 09:17:04 PM »

That much broadcloth would make the skirt very heavy.

You could use polyester organza instead of tulle -- which is scratchy. Deathslittlesister's suggestion of a slip is good.

You could add some stiff-ish trim to the bottom of each layer -- stiff lace or rickrack or (best of all) horsehair braid. Nowadays they make horsehair braid out of plastic horses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
saralynne
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007 09:23:22 PM »

I've got a skirt I bought secondhand that is a tiered skirt of cotton broadcloth that I use as a petticoat. I dont think it has extra layers... that would make it too heavy. I think its just got lots of gathering. I'm too lazy to go look in my closet right now, but I'll look tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishinabowl
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007 11:54:44 PM »

Thank you for such quick replies!  Cheesy
I am agree with deathslilsister about using a slip underneath.
She is worried about the overall shape of the dress. In the end, it is her call what the petticoat is made out of. I just make it for her in return for a home cooked meal everyday for two weeks. I am a student. I eat kraft dinner and things in cans for weeks on end.

saralyne: Do you mind posting photos of the petticoat you have if possible? I think once she sees what it looks like, she will make up her mind.

ScotSkipper402: Can horsehair braid (from plastic horses, that made me laugh really hard) be used with any type of fabric? I don't know if I will use it for this project but it is something i will definitely keep in mind.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007 11:56:32 PM by fishinabowl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A sushi chef meets a kung fu fighter.. it was a violent cook off.
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007 10:41:55 AM »

ScotSkipper402: Can horsehair braid (from plastic horses, that made me laugh really hard) be used with any type of fabric?

I don't see why not.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
saralynne
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007 06:36:03 PM »

saralyne: Do you mind posting photos of the petticoat you have if possible? I think once she sees what it looks like, she will make up her mind.

The approximate measurement around the bottom tier is 6 yards/216".
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009 03:48:49 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

paroper
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007 06:58:34 PM »

The top layers of that skirt might be tuille but the bottom layers almost have to be netting.  Tuille would be floppy.  It is often used to soften the look of the garment but it is just as limp as cooked spagetti. 

I agree that organza would be a nice choice.  If you get the right kind it will maintain its stiffness.  Cotton organza would not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyV

The Girl In The Green

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007 07:02:20 PM »

The top layers of that skirt might be tuille but the bottom layers almost have to be netting.  Tuille would be floppy.  It is often used to soften the look of the garment but it is just as limp as cooked spagetti. 

I agree that organza would be a nice choice.  If you get the right kind it will maintain its stiffness.  Cotton organza would not.

But that's a LOT of organza. You can get the same fullness with a lot less tulle and a slip.

Or, if you're feeling ambitious, you could try actual crinoline. Lovely stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yea! Japanese speaking robots!"

I belong in 1540
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Styling Tips for an Oval Face
How to Style Thick and Wavy Hair to a Square Face
How to Style Coarse Hair for an Oval Face
How to Style Straight Hair for a Square Face
How to Style Fine Hair for a Square Face
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...