A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: advice for mens shirt / sheer fabric?  (Read 381 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nothingrhymeswithcircus
« on: April 18, 2007 05:00:37 PM »

So this weekend, I am going to be making my best guy friend a pullover//henley type of thing.

I bought this fabric he loves [BRIGHT, bold orange and magenta stripes], it's very very sheer, and I was thinking of doubling it up, so it's not super girly, you know, two layers, and he would wear a t-shirt under it.

I am going to size it against a henley he already has that fits him well. I am not prewashing the fabric, because it seems too delicate.

Is there any reason it shouldn't keep its shape and size if he only handwashes it? I am just so nervous about it even fitting him at all, because a lot of his stuff seems to get misshapen and shrunken, I have no idea why. Hopefully the sheerness will be the only challenge in sewing?

any advice//stories about menswear, sheer fabric, washing, etc? Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tipassoi
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007 12:51:47 AM »

Definitely pre-wash the fabric. If it's only going to be hand-washed, then you can hand pre-wash. Or try a small sample in the machine at a low temperature.

If it's such a bright bold print, I think doubling it up would make it a bit hay-wire - you'll be able to see the under-layer through the top later, and at least in some places they won't line up. Why not line it in a neutral shade - perhaps some soft muslin or cotton which will feel nice next to the skin?

Bear in mind that seams will be more visable on a sheer fabric, so you might want to take more care finishing them - maybe using French or flat-felled seams or seam binding or a surger instead of zig-zagging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007 06:48:10 PM »

I think of Henley shirts as being stretch?  I think of sheers as being woven?  If this is true, you won't be able to make a traditional Henley out of your sheer because he won't be able to move in it or get it over his head.  I would also probably line the shirt with a fabric that is made of the same fibers but solid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Turkey
How to Fold an Origami Paper Tank
How to Fold an Origami Paper Spaceship
How to fold an origami square base
How to Fold an Origami Paper Crane
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...