A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quill spinning  (Read 909 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

darumah
« on: April 15, 2007 02:03:25 PM »

I am a fairly new spinner (only been on a wheel for four months) and I have been saving up for a jumbo flyer since I seem to fill up my bobbins with hyperspeed. I also really want to start spinning really bulky art yarns and after pricing quill spindles I realize that I can afford one of those now with the money I have been saving for a jumbo flyer. My question is if quill spinning is going to be too difficult at this point in my learning? I am a quick learner, but I work two jobs so I can't get to the shop that teaches spinning very often so I learn almost everything on my own.

What are your experiences with learning quill spinning and are there any resources that you would recommend?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007 04:05:36 PM »

Quill spinning is actually really, really easy.  It doesn't pull on the yarn (you tension the yarn yourself) and cause it to break or drift away, like a flyer can for a new spinner.  There are some online articles/ tutorials on quill spinning.  But, really, all you need to know is to hold the yarn at a 45 degree angle from the point of the quill and to let the yarn spin off of the tip.  When you have too much yarn you can either stop and wind it on, or learn a maneuver to wind it on w/o stopping - I found it easier just to stop.

But, really, it's easy.  It's best for finer yarns, tho. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
darumah
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007 10:21:58 AM »

Thank you so much. I ordered my quill and it will be here tomorrow. You say it is better for finer yarns, but everything I have been reading says that it is mostly used for chunky art yarns these days so I am a little confused. Should I start by using it to make finer yarns and get used to it before I try out the chunky stuff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007 08:22:11 PM »

Thank you so much. I ordered my quill and it will be here tomorrow. You say it is better for finer yarns, but everything I have been reading says that it is mostly used for chunky art yarns these days so I am a little confused. Should I start by using it to make finer yarns and get used to it before I try out the chunky stuff?

Wow, things have changed.  Traditionally (like 200 years ago) quills were used for very fine yarns.  In practice, though, I don't doubt they'd be fine (or great) for bulkier yarns.  The lack of pull would also make it easier to do art yarns. 

I'm sure you'll be fine, tho.  I'd say play with it and see where it takes you.  I started out with ultrafine yarn, but I really wanted fine yarn.  I don't see why you can't start out with what you want to spin Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:

Got a tape measurer?
darumah
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007 10:57:54 AM »

My quill came in the mail yesterday. It is unfinished so I have to wait for the oil to dry and then I will give it a whirl. I am still practicing my finer yarns and I hope to move on to the art yarns, but at first I think I will use the quill for small stuff. Thanks for the advice, I will post my first quill spun yarn soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007 05:34:26 PM »

Coolies Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:

Got a tape measurer?
Thenutmeg2000

If sense were common, Everybody would have some..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007 09:44:44 AM »

Hi Lady!
I see the spinning bug finally got you! Let me know about your experience with the quil. I am totally intrested. Went to Maryland Sheep and Wool yesterday and saw those on great wheels but could not find anyone demonstrating them. So, Let me know what you think!

Hazel
PS miss you at SnB Monday at Borders
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darumah
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007 12:24:29 AM »

Hi Hazel!!

Well, I've had a few weeks with my quill and it has been a total disaster; I think I might have jumped into it a little too soon in my spinning. The instructions it came with are very vague and everything I read online just confuses me more. I have decided to go back to the flyer until I have time to do a private lesson at the spinning store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Best Makeup Brush Cleaners
How to Do Perfect Catwalk Makeup
Make It Easy: How to Remove Road Salt From Shoes
High Street Vs. High End Foundations
Theodore Leaf Responds to Your Elevator Makeover Comments
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...