A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "No Paint" idea for Apartments  (Read 11241 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tiamaria
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004 02:57:39 PM »

What a gorgeous little boy !! hes so sweet i could eat him rite up lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rabid.dustbunny
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004 03:35:58 PM »

Good ideas!

Did you know that you can also use regular fabric starch to get fabric to cling to walls? There's a drawback of course, when moving the last thing one really wants to be doing is washing walls. However, if you're going to be there a while it could really be a good alternative to living with freaking Navajo White.
Another idea, attach three little eye hooks across the top of the wall, string some metal wire through and hang different fabrics (or or things) across as your decorating mood dictates.
OR staples - staple ephemeral fabric to the top of the wall and let it hang loose.
Rental walls are so hard to live with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood it's ground.
FunkyChicken44
Magical Me

I Believe In Yesterday...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2004 04:09:48 AM »

Rental walls are bad! In one of my old places, I used a washable magic marker and wrote poetry along the top of the walls to make a nice, colorful border in one of my bedrooms, and even after all the time, it still came right off on moving day... I agree with the mirror idea... it really makes space seem larger too!:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm 23, Married to my High School Sweetie, I draw, paint, write, craft, and take horrible photos of anything that will stand still. I am learning to crochet, and I am beginning to do ATC swaps. I love art, poetry, and music! Cheesy
courtlet
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005 01:10:11 PM »

anyone have photos of the fabric idea?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

~ living in a magical dollhouse ~

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005 07:32:38 AM »

Good ideas!

Did you know that you can also use regular fabric starch to get fabric to cling to walls? There's a drawback of course, when moving the last thing one really wants to be doing is washing walls. However, if you're going to be there a while it could really be a good alternative to living with freaking Navajo White.
Another idea, attach three little eye hooks across the top of the wall, string some metal wire through and hang different fabrics (or or things) across as your decorating mood dictates.
OR staples - staple ephemeral fabric to the top of the wall and let it hang loose.
Rental walls are so hard to live with.

I've heard about that starch method before...I've always wanted to try it but there's another drawback as well.  The cost of the fabric!  Even if you bought $1/yard fabric (and managed to find a pattern you liked at that price Wink), you would still need yards and yards and yard to cover a wall.  At least that's a drawback for me, already paying such high rent...  Nevertheless, I've always been intrigued, and if I ever do try it, I'll definitely post photos.

As for the stapling - I've done this in several places in my current apartment and it works wonderfully!  The only problem are the little, regularly spaced holes that it leaves.  I'll definitely need to spackle when I move out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
rabid.dustbunny
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005 08:22:06 PM »

I'll definitely need to spackle when I move out!

spackle-schmackle! heh!
I know, I've thought of fabric being cost-prohibitive, maybe just one wall. I always hope I'll be at a yard sale and stumble on a half bolt of something amazing for ten bucks. Dare to dream!

I really think the eye-hooks and wire thing would be the most versatile. If you got tired of the fabric you could hang posters, or I used to have my vintage lingerie hanging around my room (though I never bothered to put up eye-hooks, just pinned stuff to the walls, not the best sollution.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood it's ground.
ADHDCraftster
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005 01:30:49 PM »

I know its been awhile since anyone posted here but I have found the same problems with my apartment and not being allowed to paint.  A good way to use that space (or any blank white wall) is to paint canvas and hang those.  You could use one large canvas or a multitude of canvases (sp?).  What's great about this is that you can change the colors of the canvas' for the particular mood you are in or according to season!  They take very small nails which are OKed by the landlord, and if they aren't you can fill them easily before you hand your keys back over to them!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable...
MotherHoodlum

viva la monkey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2005 06:51:53 AM »

There is an alternative to buying expensive fabric by the yard, but it takes a few extra steps.  Buy thrift store sheets!  Then bleach out and re-dye to your colour choice.  I am actually in the works of doing a batiqued wall in this method (I'm renting too).  I already did fabric on the walls of my bathroom, and it came out fabulous, even though I resorted to just using a staple gun for it.
I love your mantel though!  Mine's stone, so I can't do that *sigh*  But I'm thinking it could also work as a window valance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who's yo mama?!
glasskatana
tamara, a glass katana

i like bright and shiny things.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2005 12:59:05 PM »

i imagine you're all done and settled and whatnot  buuuuuutttt..
if you put lights, like x-mas lights or a florescent light back in the nook and than put the fabric in front of that, it would glow-- depending on the type of fabric or else some thick paperish stuff and cut out shapes, like maybe fern shapes on green paper..... and you could leave the row of pictures there, too , i think. or if you put mirrors in there it would look bigger, if you so desire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. Its their way of falling."

Andre Gide
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Meatloaf with Chili Sauce
Skillet Bacon Mac and Cheese Recipe
How to Make Buttermilk Waffles
Buttermilk-Cheese Waffle Recipe
How to Make a 10 Layer Monster Burger
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...