A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
297 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Messenger Bags from Used 5lb Coffee Bags  (Read 865 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

theantihipster
« on: April 14, 2007 01:32:28 PM »

Alright, I've started collecting materials for a project that is so far only manifested in my mind, but I KNOW(!!!) that I can make this work, if only I can figure it out.

I work at a coffee shop/roaster, and we re-use all our old 5lb coffee bags for retail about 4 weeks and then toss them and start afresh with a new bag. These tossed bags are still in pretty good shape, just creased and wrinkled, but they're this great super-Warhol-shiny silver. I can salvage about 18x25in. blocks of surface area, and I just found out today they can be cleaned up to sparkling new with a little dish soap (they're for whole beans only so there are no stains or foul smells to speak of).

Now, I'd like to quilt/sew them together to make strong, weather-proof fabric to make bike messenger bags (to begin with, anyway) because there's NOWHERE in St. Louis that you can get a good messenger bag, definitely not a recycled one.

A friend of mine has been making coin purses from juice pouches for years, and I know she could help me get these together into some kind of strong fabric (with thread tension and whatnot).

BUT! here's where you guys come in:
any advice would be MUCH appreciated, I'm tracking down a working sewing machine (in fact I had a dream about a new industrial sewing machine last night) as is mine is currently broken.
I'd like to make this kind of my summer project/good samaritan recycle earth-friendly invention of the month. My creativity makes up where my sewing skills lack (unfortunately)-
ANY THOUGHTS MUCH APPRECIATED!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my new etsy shop! come see! come see!

www.madebylaurenb.etsy.com my new stuff
gardenpicnic
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007 08:32:17 AM »

that sounds like a very cool idea Smiley
what kind of purse were you going to make it? maybe tote?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazeeMoi
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007 09:08:47 PM »

sounds like a great idea!!   and......  maybe go to the purses thread and post this is the discussion one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knuckstermom
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007 04:34:08 PM »

Maybe you could trade the use of someone's sewing machine in exchange for a finished bag-Or maybe some coffee;-) I really think this idea has merit. Please post a picture of the finished product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear a Fedora
How to Layer Clothing
How to Wear an All Black Wardrobe
How to Accessorize Your Wardrobe
How to Pick Evening Wear
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...