A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,446
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Messenger Bags from Used 5lb Coffee Bags  (Read 877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

theantihipster
« on: April 14, 2007 01:32:28 PM »

Alright, I've started collecting materials for a project that is so far only manifested in my mind, but I KNOW(!!!) that I can make this work, if only I can figure it out.

I work at a coffee shop/roaster, and we re-use all our old 5lb coffee bags for retail about 4 weeks and then toss them and start afresh with a new bag. These tossed bags are still in pretty good shape, just creased and wrinkled, but they're this great super-Warhol-shiny silver. I can salvage about 18x25in. blocks of surface area, and I just found out today they can be cleaned up to sparkling new with a little dish soap (they're for whole beans only so there are no stains or foul smells to speak of).

Now, I'd like to quilt/sew them together to make strong, weather-proof fabric to make bike messenger bags (to begin with, anyway) because there's NOWHERE in St. Louis that you can get a good messenger bag, definitely not a recycled one.

A friend of mine has been making coin purses from juice pouches for years, and I know she could help me get these together into some kind of strong fabric (with thread tension and whatnot).

BUT! here's where you guys come in:
any advice would be MUCH appreciated, I'm tracking down a working sewing machine (in fact I had a dream about a new industrial sewing machine last night) as is mine is currently broken.
I'd like to make this kind of my summer project/good samaritan recycle earth-friendly invention of the month. My creativity makes up where my sewing skills lack (unfortunately)-
ANY THOUGHTS MUCH APPRECIATED!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my new etsy shop! come see! come see!

www.madebylaurenb.etsy.com my new stuff
gardenpicnic
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007 08:32:17 AM »

that sounds like a very cool idea Smiley
what kind of purse were you going to make it? maybe tote?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazeeMoi
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007 09:08:47 PM »

sounds like a great idea!!   and......  maybe go to the purses thread and post this is the discussion one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knuckstermom
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007 04:34:08 PM »

Maybe you could trade the use of someone's sewing machine in exchange for a finished bag-Or maybe some coffee;-) I really think this idea has merit. Please post a picture of the finished product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Buy Organic Produce
How to Make the Most of Fresh Strawberries
Giada De Laurentiis Goes Alternative with Agave
Healthy Tortellini Primavera
Healthy Eggplant Pasta Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...