A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first felting!  (Read 1289 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bryonyramsden
« on: November 03, 2004 11:23:54 AM »

Well, I made my first felted bag, using the Hello Yarn pattern for chunky wool, and I think I overfelted it a  tad Smiley  But, as I had made it as a gift for someone, I thought I would seek my friends' opinions on it to see how they would feel about getting it.  They seem to like it, so a gift it remains!

Feedback would be very welcome, particularly the constructive kind of "you did this wrong by the looks of it - fix it with this, or don't do it at all!"  I used Rowan chunky print, and I only have a front loader, so daringly slapped it in a pillow case with an old pair of jeans on a 60 degree heavy soiling wash.  It even went through a spin without turning into a big mess!  I think I was rather lucky, but I was using a cycle that I haven't used much, and I forgot that it had a spin at the end Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.c o.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
Tere
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004 03:39:32 PM »

i really like it! I'd keep it for myself  Wink Really like the contrast between the grey and the bright flower.
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004 07:04:59 PM »

I really like that grey with the flower.  Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sgolard

Help me! Can't stop!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004 07:57:40 AM »

I think it looks great!  But what's this about not supposed to spin it?  How do you get the water out?  I spun my felted bag and it looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A girl's best friend is her mutter"_Dorothy Parker_
My Blog - http://www.yarn-babe.blogspot.com
My Etsy shop - http://knitmoi.etsy.com
amobabe

I'm a llama's mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004 08:42:06 AM »

I think it looks wonderful too. What exactly don't you like about it? From the photo it looks great!

I use a front loader and spinning is 100% fine for felting. The downside of a front loader is that 1) you can't open mid-cycle so if you're trying to felt something to a specific size, well, you can't and 2) you need to add jeans or something to agitate the wool since there isn't an agitator in the machine. If anything a front loader takes a little more time than a top loader  but no need to worry about spinning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bryonyramsden
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004 12:36:02 PM »

Cool, thanks for the advice!  I'm sure I read somewhere that you aren't supposed to put it through the spin part of the cycle because it does bad things to the felting process.  I shall now ignore that Cheesy

The reason I thought it was a bit iffy was that, being in the front loader, it got a bit creased, and no amount of playing with it would pull it out.  You can tell how lumpy it is from looking at the leaf on the left.  It also has a hole in the base from me being naughty and using a circular needle a bit bigger in length than the pattern asked for.  The base was tough because of that, but I couldn't get a shorter one for love nor money in my area, and buying them online is so expensive in the UK Sad  I wasn't going to pay a lot for a needle just for making one pattern.

Admittedly a work colleague wants one in purple (I have no idea when I will get my college work done, but nevermind!), so I'll see how that one turns out.  I also have plans for mittens in Debbie Bliss Maya thanks to Felted Knits, so I am officially now into felting Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.c o.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Headshot Lighting Techniques
How to Create an Executive Portrait
How to Create Lighting in a Studio
Lighting Techniques Using 1 large light source.
Comparison Between Ringflash and Rayflash
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...