A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Double-knit hat & Odessa FOs - Now with Free Pattern!  (Read 3236 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinyplasticmeat
« on: April 14, 2007 01:04:46 AM »

Howdy! These are the first FOs I've thought to actually photograph and post up here...I'm notorious for knitting and giving away the product without taking any pictures!!

An Odessa, bead-less, in Patons SWS, colorway Natural Geranium (I think. I forget the colorway). This one was for my supervisor's daughter.

And this is a double-knit hat made for the anesthesia technician who came in on her day off to help with my kitten's spay.

It's my own pattern, and it's on my blog.

EDIT: PATTERN ADDED!!

Double-Knit Hat

Worked in the two-stranded method: This hat is double-knit in the round, working every stitch as you go. This is NOT the slip-stitch method.

Gauge: Approximately 5sts/in.

Materials:
- approximately 100 yds each of MC and CC (I used Lion Wool in Ebony and Scarlet)
- 16 circular needle, size US 7 (or whatever gives you gauge)
- double-pointed needles of the same size
- yarn needle for sewing in ends

Special Stitch Instructions:

- Two-stranded double knitting Knit the MC with the MC strand, purl the CC with the CC strand. Make sure that BOTH strands move forward and back at each stitch.

- Double-knit K2tog kind of like a traveling or cable stitch. Slip the next stitch of MC onto the right needle purlwise. Slip the companion CC stitch onto a cable needle and hold at back. Slip the next MC onto the right needle purlwise. Slip the CC stitch on the cable needle back onto the left needle. Slip both MC stitches back to the left needle. K2tog as usual. The CC is slightly more difficult; purl the two stitches together THROUGH THE BACK LOOP.

- Double-knit SSK kind of like a traveling or cable stitch. Slip the next stitch of MC onto the right needle purlwise. Slip the companion CC stitch onto a cable needle and hold at back. Slip the next MC onto the right needle purlwise. Slip the CC stitch on the cable needle back onto the left needle. Slip both MC stitches back to the left needle. SSK as usual. For the CC, simply purl the two stitches together.

Directions:

1. CO 160 sts using the braided cast-on method. This results in a braid-like chain of alternating colors and sets up your first round. It does not matter if you start with the MC or CC, only that you remember that each stitch is actually BOTH the MC and the CC, regardless of which you started with. The actual number of stitches we're working with is 80, of each color.

2. Place a Beginning of Round marker and join, being careful not to twist stitches. I like casting on an additional stitch of each color, slipping them to the left needle, and K2tog each color. That makes a nice join that blends in with the braided cast-on.

3. (Optional striping. If you don't want vertical stripes at the bottom of your hat, skip to step 4.)
*Knit 1 MC, knit 1 CC, purl 1 MC, purl 1 CC.* Repeat around. Do this for as many rounds as you want the striping. Obviously if you want vertical striping anywhere else in your hat...do it there instead of here!

4. For all stitches, knit MC and purl CC. This results in a knit-facing fabric of MC on the right side, and a knit-facing fabric of CC on the wrong side. Note for combination knitters: If you purl in the combination style, your wrong side stitches will come out twisted. I don't mind this, but you may want to adjust your purl wraps.

5. If you want horizontal stripes at any point, simply switch your stitches: Purl the MC and knit the CC for one round, or as many as you like. This also locks the fabric together at these points. You can also insert a pattern here. Small simple ones work best, but you can also do complex Fair-Isle-style patterns all round.

6. Continue in this fashion for approximately 5.5 - 6, or as long as you want the hat to be. Near the end, place a marker after every 10th stitch. (Make sure you count each MC/CC pair as ONE stitch.) I find it easiest to make them different colors from my BOR marker. The last 10th stitch should be right before the BOR, so there's no need to place a marker.

7. Decrease round: Work to the last 2 stitches before each marker. We'll call them stitches #7(MC), 8(CC), 9(MC), and 10(CC). *K2tog stitches #7 and 9. (See above for double-knit K2tog). SSK #8 and #10. (See above for double-knit SSK).* *Repeat for each marker. 8 sts decreased. (72)

8. Knit one round plain double-knitting.

10. Decrease round. Repeat from step #7. (64)

11. Knit one round plain double-knitting.

12. Decrease round. (56)

13. Knit one round plain double-knitting.

14. Decrease round. (48)

15. Knit one round plain double-knitting.

16. Decrease every round until you have 24 sts left. (24) Switch to DPNs when necessary.

17. (Optional: I like the little round stripe at the top of the hat. If you don't, simply decrease as usual here.) Switch MC and CC for one round, i.e. Purl 1 MC, Knit 1 CC. AT THE SAME TIME CONTINUE DECREASES. (16)

18. Decrease once more. (Cool

19. Leaving a long tail of each color, break yarn. Thread MC tail through MC stitches twice. Thread CC tail through CC stitches twice. (It may be easiest to flip hat inside out to do this.) Pull tight and break yarn.

20. Weave in ends.

21. Block as you like.

If you have any questions, please comment or e-mail me!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007 12:11:02 PM by tinyplasticmeat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

linda_t
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007 01:26:35 AM »

Love them both!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gummy
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007 09:37:20 AM »

I've knit two Odessas but I never thought to use striped yarn...did you make gauge with the SWS, and how many skeins did it take?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magicaljennybella.blogspot.com

Ravelry: Jennybella
tinyplasticmeat
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007 12:18:12 PM »

Gummy--I'm certain I didn't make gauge, but I wasn't trying. I knew I could knit up the SWS at about 5 sts/in, and so I cast on 77 sts (I think, I forgot already!) and just went about the pattern.

I used size 7 US needles for the entirety of the pattern, not switching from the ribbing.

All in all, it took less than a skein of the SWS--probably a little more than half a skein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gummy
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007 01:20:04 PM »

Thanks!  I LOVE the SWS yarn and I've been looking for something to knit that won't take too much since the yarn is a bit pricey for a poor college student, and I also love the Odessa pattern, whoo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magicaljennybella.blogspot.com

Ravelry: Jennybella
tinyplasticmeat
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007 05:40:06 PM »

Bumped to reveal added free pattern Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chicknlittle
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007 06:16:20 PM »

those are beautiful! I am not near advanced enough for doubleknit, but it is so neat and the Odessa hat is gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Final Cut Studio: Sync Menu Explained
Final Cut Express: Playing with Speed
Final Cut Express: Making a Cheap Giant with Masks
Motion 3: Motion Tracking in Motion Part 1
Final Cut Studio 2: 8 and 32bit Floating Point
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...