A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cupcake pin cushion! for all yoru culinery voodoo needs :D ***Now with TUTORI***  (Read 9732 times)
Tags for this thread: pin_cushion , tutorial , pincushion , cupcake  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tiny_viking
« on: April 13, 2007 09:10:42 AM »

Ive seen cupcake pin cushions about but non QUITE what I wanted! So i came up with this! Cheesy

its made of felt. Stuffed with roving (a yellowey orange i really didnt like!) and i made the felt cherry myself out of roving both needle and wet feling!:D

Im going to make another one soon Cheesy So can makea tute if any one wants? Smiley the only difference will be I wont be using as many ribs in the cake holder cos they take to long to sew! Cheesy

Hope you like it! Cheesy

Beanie

p.s. my boy friend wants to know what sound a cupcake would make if it was alive and had avoice? he says high and squeeky i recon low and booming!

******** TUTORIAL **********

First you need two felt circles both 12 cm (4 3/4 inches?)   in diamiter. One needs to be for the cake casing, one for the cake bit.

Some stuffing, either cotton wool, or I used felting wool/roving in a colour i didnt like!.

a thread colour for the cake casing (i chose green to contrast to the pink case,)                                               
A red thread to sew on teh cherry
White and pink thread for the icing! and one that matches the cake casing!

for the cherry you can either felt it yourself or just buy a red bobbble or bead, i think maby a red button would look good aswell?

then you need two blobs of icing (frosting for the americans i think?) one needs to be smaller but fatter (pink for the bottom) the other needs to be wider but more spidery (white for the top)

the first thing you need to do is draw a circle 3.5cm in diamiter in teh middle of the casing circle,

then you need to sew the ribs in to the casing stopping at the center circle like this!

I think 16 ribs or more work best!

then you want to poke in that center cirlce and sew to make a rim that the cake will stand up on

Next take your cake circle and tack stick right round the rim (maby 1/4 - 1/8 th of an inch from the edge?) then stuff with stuffing and pull till its tight enough then sew diagonaly across the center over the stuffing to hold it all in (hope that makes sence? you cant really see it in the pick!)

now loosley tack round the INSIDE of the cupcake case and pull it in so the case l;ooks more like a case, remeber your cake must fit in the top of it. sew around half way up.

Now stuff the case with a bit of wool then use the thread that is the same colour as the case to sew the bun/cake to the case. then sew on the first blob of icing, then the second.

you need very tiny stiches and they can be quite far apart Smiley

then the cherry either sew a brought one on or get some red roving roll it in to a ball, cover it in dish soap, put it in boiling watre for a few seconds then roll it more then freezing water, then back in to hot water, as you go back and forth it will get dencer and rounder. Just work at it.

then dry it of on a tea towel then sew it on Cheesy

Hope thats okay Cheesy

Beanie
xxxxxx
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007 09:24:42 AM by Tiny_viking » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paulasews
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007 09:19:57 AM »

OMG it's like a cupcake on LSD I love it!!

tutorial please!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007 09:22:42 AM »

It reminds me of something from a Dr. Seuss book! So very cute (and now I want cupcakes!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is more important to be yourself than to hide things. The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality "-John Frusciante
fluffypurplemonkie
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007 09:32:10 AM »

i'd have to vote high and squeeky but when it was annoyed it would switch to scary low and booming, does that make sense? i've got some great mental images now Smiley + i think your pin coushin is ace Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hydro
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007 10:25:12 AM »

Very cute!  Yet functional! 

For some reason, I think cupcakes should have Cockney British accents? "'Ello, gov'neh.  Would ye fancy a cupcake?"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paulasews
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007 11:22:38 AM »

Very cute!  Yet functional! 

For some reason, I think cupcakes should have Cockney British accents? "'Ello, gov'neh.  Would ye fancy a cupcake?"

that's so funny I'm not sure about pitch and tone but they would definitely have an American accent owing to the fact that our equivalent of cupcakes are called fairy cakes "ello gov'neh. Would ye fancy a fairy cake?" has altogether different connotations but that just makes it even more fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hydro
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007 12:26:14 PM »

our equivalent of cupcakes are called fairy cakes

Oops!  My bad.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paulasews
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007 02:24:40 PM »

our equivalent of cupcakes are called fairy cakes

Oops!  My bad.  Tongue

Eeek I wasn't correcting you, I meant to write........that's so funny I was just thinking blah blah blah............... but I didn't write the 'I was just thinking' bit - which is what made it funny....the fact that we both made assumptions about accents just not the same ones, wasn't saying what you said was funny, well, it was funny, not funny cos it was wrong, funny cos it was funny

<----digging a hole

<------climbing in it

OK.............offi cial decree.......cupcak es have cockney accents Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hydro
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007 02:46:01 PM »

Oh sweetie, come on out of the hole  Smiley -- I wasn't offended, just acknowledging my mistake.  Please don't feel bad!!!  Heck, cupcakes probably talk in their own bizarre, highly evolved cupcake language involving gutteral clicks and Tuvan (sp?) throat singing.  Smiley

(waaaaaaaaay off topic)  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tiny_viking
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007 03:56:07 PM »

*walks in*.........

............... Cheesy :lol:

................... .*puts teacosy on head and watches the rest of you*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peplum: Una Tendencia Para Disimular
Anne Hathaway Glitters in Gold Just Days Before the Oscars
Wear the Checker-Print Trend With a Pair of Easy DIY Flats
How to Edit Your Wardrobe
Three Big Style Mistakes Women Make
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...