A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,512
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday April 13th  (Read 4912 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

100Bean
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007 02:08:06 PM »

Hi everyone! I've been missing for a few weeks - I think I lost my spinning mojo for a while. I couldn't think of anything I really felt like doing until my package from Wingham Wool Work arrived and got me all dorky. Smiley Anyway, you guys blow me away every week - I absolutely love Polka Dot Bikini and Knitwit's Black with the shells, and Strawberry Patch and Tumblebloom, that's amazing! and ... well, I'd be here all day if I named every gorgeous thing on here! All that and an adorable bunny tail!

Here's what I've been up to for the last few weeks:

Almost Muddy, merino navajo plied, dyed with easter egg dye - I don't have the yardage on this one yet. I had imagined it all bright blues and yellows (kind of like Dandelion, actually) but the colors muddied up a bit. My mom likes it, so at least it'll have use somewhere:

Watermelon Lemonade, Kool-Aid dyed merino, 290 meters:

Jupiter, batts from Snapcrafty, merino, angora and sparklies, plied with two shades of pink thread, 132 meters (this is my favorite thing ever!):

Off To See The Wizard, more easter egg dyeing, which I'm spinning now with black angelina and plan to ply with black thread:

And just for fun, my cat using bags of wool for his pillow:

I also got a pair of hand carders which I love - I did some playing around with them and spun a small batch of yarn but I don't have any pictures of that yet.

Ok, I'm done, phew. I can't wait to see what other amazing things appear on here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chrissiemags
Chrissie's Custom Creations

Is there such a thing as too much fabric or ribbon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007 02:13:49 PM »

I am in LOVE with the Watermelon Lemonade, Kool-Aid dyed merino  **drooling!!**  Can I touch it LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Offering Laser Cut Scrapbook Embellishments~ Trendy & Classic Hair Accessories~ Cute as Can be Bottle Cap Images~Bottle Cap Jewelry
hobbledehoy

The Hobbledehoy

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007 02:52:54 PM »

Wow!  I'm in love with Watermelon-lemonade also!  Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the shop:
http://hobbledehoy.etsy.com
the blog:
http://elizabeth-stottlemyer.blogspot.com
twitter along:
http://www.twitter.com/hobbledehoy

I'm generally open for fiber swaps!  PM me Cheesy
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007 03:03:37 PM »

For some reason, the warmer it gets the more I want to spin. Weird I guess.

Angora 2.5 oz 140 yards, about 14-15 wpi, triple ply, wheel spun, long draw from the fold. This yarn was spun to knit cat toys from for my two cats since they both love rabbit fur but it was a real chore keeping them away while I was spinning. It's sorta weird squirting the cats with a water bottle to stay away from fiber that's going to eventually be made into something for them anyways. I gave it a wash and let it dry and it still has a bit of static charge to it, if you look close you might see some red mohair that's stuck to the skein.

Merino, 4 ozs each hank, double ply from a center pull ball, sport to heavy worsted thick and thin,spindle spun on a .9 oz 2" toy wheel spindle from the fold, modified long draw. All those who say you can't spin long draw on a drop spindle I say to you: whatcha talking bout willis!?. When it gets warmer out I walk around more and use the free time to spin some yarn. This yarn will be wrapped on a home made warping board like thingie and dyed.

Enough fuzzy pictures of white yarn, it's time for a fuzzy picture of dyed yarn:

4 ozs combined, somewhere around 90-100 yards, wheel spun, Brown Sheep Punta, thick and thin, plied with thread.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007 03:09:30 PM by AgentAlmost » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007 03:49:17 PM »

I called this one Iceberg. It's dyed with wilton dyes. I thought I would get a darker blue, but I think I just need to experiment a bit more (darn!) The lighting is crappy, and it's hard to see that theres over 200 yards there. I sent it off for a personal swap. I hope she likes it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
AishaCelia
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007 03:55:50 PM »

Hi All!

Great yarn as always this Fiber Friday. Hobbledehoy way to go lady! That is a beautiful skein, felt and buttons, I love it!

Here's my addition....blended a bunch of fun spring colors and then plied with silver thread.

If anyone is in Minnesota on April 28th, get down to Craftstravaganza! You can check out more information at www.craftstravaganza.com

Have a great weekend.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010 01:11:32 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sockdiva
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007 04:00:49 PM »

I hadn't spun for months! Then I wandered here (hi Amy!) and saw all the wonderful skeins of goodness, I got inspired! So I spun up this soy silk that I won on ebay, and navajo plied.

I've been so busy sewing, but I think just to join in with all you awesome spinners, I'll be at my wheel more, no matter how crazy busy I feel!

Ooh, AishaCelia, that skein is luscious!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sockdiva.etsy.com
Omiyage, unique yarns, fibers, and jewelry

http://deedolce.blogspot.com/
bixby2
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007 04:07:02 PM »

HI SOCK!! *cheering like kermit the frog*

I still say that looks like spun gold!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
chrissiemags

Is there such a thing as too much fabric or ribbon

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007 04:17:29 PM »

OK, you craftsters are sooo making me wish I knew how to spin!  I'm so in awe of homespun **jealous, jealous, jealous!!!**
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Offering Laser Cut Scrapbook Embellishments~ Trendy & Classic Hair Accessories~ Cute as Can be Bottle Cap Images~Bottle Cap Jewelry
rubysdaughter

My wheel is a Fricke 160DT.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007 04:45:59 PM »

I don't have anything to share this week either.  It makes me so happy to page through post after post of beautiful yarns.  Thanks everyone for sharing  Kiss

I have some pretty yarn p*rn on my blog if anyone wants to click over and look.  It's all donations from friends to my son's school auction.  I wish I could keep them all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mark Isreal: Serving Innovation
Caitlyn & Caroline Try: Chocolates
HuffPost Taste Test: US Vs. UK Chocolates
How to Make Baileys Sweet and Salty Krispies
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Latte Muffins
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...