A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mrs. Darcy KAL  (Read 48749 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hallieod
« Reply #220 on: October 08, 2007 02:30:29 AM »

Truly sorry that you had to frog yours, but nice to have company in the knitting!  And I appreciate the info - the garter stitch edging sounds a good idea too. 

I'm a long way from finishing and a long way from being able to post photos, but will get both places eventually, hopefully.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #221 on: October 08, 2007 08:00:37 PM »

Surprisingly, I didn't mind ... probably because my sis really LIKED it! And of course, I wasn't really happy with the sleeves the way I did them (picking up at the top and then working my way down) so I think they will turn out better this time.

Also, in the fronts, you'll notice in the picture, too, right up close to the top there is kind of a "bulge"? - so I'm decreasing a couple more stitches up in that area to see if it helps (and adjusting the back as needed).

So I'm glad of the company too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peps

Knits with Cat.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #222 on: October 09, 2007 07:44:15 AM »

Here's a pic of mine from behind, if that helps you make a decision on shoulder shaping.  (Really, I just wanted an excuse to pull her out of the closet, seeing as it's still god-awful hot here!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy
my knitting blog
my ravelry
Any B or C liners in the Boston area up for a knitting circle?  PM me.
hallieod
« Reply #223 on: October 09, 2007 08:31:09 AM »

Oh, thanks Pep!  That *definitely* convinces me not to worry about trying to tweak the back.  Good timing too, as I'm just about to bind off the back.  I love the way people's finished cardis look so different and all great. 

You want me to send a little cool air your way - special cool, damp Irish air, just for you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hallieod
« Reply #224 on: October 09, 2007 10:18:46 AM »

Keep forgetting this isn't like LJ where you can reply to a particular post. 

Yep - not so much with the seeing of the bulges, Riki.  But glad you're not unhappy about re-doing it all the same!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loopette
« Reply #225 on: December 30, 2007 09:25:02 AM »

Riki, I would love to have your directions for working in one piece . My daughter is home from school for a couple of weeks of holiday break, and she LOVES this sweater, so I could knit it up for her while she is here to try it on while in progress. I'd be eternally grateful for them!!!  I have some Queensland Collection Kathmandu Aran in my stash, so I could start pretty much immediately (if daughter likes the colorway I have!).

This KAL and all of the input by it's participants is SO helpful! I am reading everything I can find before beginning Mrs. Darcy to be sure I understand the directions and so that I don't wind up frogging so much.  Roll Eyes  This will be my first sweater ... what the heck, I love a challenge. Any additional advice/corrections/pointers you all have would be GREATLY appreciated!

Anyone else want to keep this KAL alive and knit with me? Otherwise, I'll be all by my lonesome.  Undecided

PEPS: I LOVE yours! Gorgeous sweater, and it looks fabulous on you!

Thanks in advance for all your help,
Nicki

THIS ROCKS   Logged

hallieod
« Reply #226 on: December 30, 2007 01:25:03 PM »

Hi Loopette!

I was coincidentally sewing up my Mrs Darcy this afternoon, after a loooong time in semi-hibernation while I worked on the Christmas projects!  I'd love to see Riki's mods for knitting in the round as well, as I'm going to be doing another one for my daughter (after I finish off the one unfinished aforementioned C.P. AND the knitting for my BF's birthday in late January).  (If I live so long...)

I've got some notes on mine on Ravelry, though the photos were taken a while ago.  Will finish tonight (WILL FINISH) but then it'll be re-blocking for a bit, so it'll be a while more before finished ones appear.  I'm schrapknits there, if you want to see.  (Had a nice time looking at your notebook, and following the links, and so on and so forth - you know how Ravelry is!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loopette
« Reply #227 on: December 31, 2007 09:06:39 AM »

Hallieod,

Thanks for the welcome. I guess you figured out my Ravelry ID ... I intended to post it, but forgot. (Early Oldtimers has me in it's evil clutches sometimes). I looked at your Ravelry notes and decided I better start a notebook to get all the notations and who made them. I think I'll have to CO 44 stitches for my daughter's armholes, too. She is a misses size 8/ junior size 9, but the armhole math on the original pattern was made for bird arms I think! 

I see you you made yours in a much smaller gauge with Andean Silk; how do you kike your results?

I plan on making Mrs. Darcy in Malabrigo, colorway Cadmium. Daughter loved that and wasn't wowed by my stash yarn at all: too "blah" for her. (She's an art student; I should have known better!) When I get the yarn I'll work up a swatch, but I think I want to make it a bit on the loosely knit side, a little more open, so that it drapes nicely. That's kinds of the look that she likes anyway: all these layered tees, tanks and sweaters are done in a sheerer look lately. At least knitting it loosely and more open will provide that illusion. My guess is that I'll wind up on US 10 needles, though I am hoping to get the "look" on 9s; I'm not a big fan of big needles.

I can't wait to see your finished sweater!  Your projects are wonderful!

Cheers,
Nicki

Riki, where be you, girl?  I'm hoping you can come through with those knit in the round directions. Thanks in advance!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

hallieod
« Reply #228 on: January 01, 2008 03:36:43 AM »

Ooh - a Mrs Darcy in Malabrigo will be gorgeous!  Can't wait to see progress pics.

I finished the second row of crochet last night, literally minutes before the midnight fireworks sent a hysterical dog onto the sofa and into our laps.  Today it'll re-block and I'm probably going to look for more interesting buttons than the ones I have here.  My daughter (the one who'll be getting the next one knit for her) said it's fantastic, but I'm a tiny bit concerned about the fittedness myself.  (I'm 49, not 17!)  Changing the gauge would have been very easy - and really happy with the Andean Silk at that tension - BUT it gave me fits because the AS stretches considerably on blocking.  Really quite a lot.  And I'd knit gazillions of swatches with different sizes and types of needles, and the amount of change varied in variable amounts too (if you follow). So it was much harder to adjust as I was going when I started worrying it might be a bit on the small size (the back is perfect, but the front is a wee bit snug and the arms definitely snug).

I'd definitely suggest including the twisted rib in your swatches to see how it works: mine, in the AS, is much less bouncey than it would be in a merino, but it looks okay, if not fabulous.  A PAIN to seam though.   Hmmm....  makes me think that maybe we should try a comment on Riki's blog?  She may not be watching this thread anymore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loopette
« Reply #229 on: January 01, 2008 08:07:27 PM »

Hallieod,

Can't wait to see your sweater! Please please post it!

We decided to make a trip to a LYS yesterday afternoon to look at the Malabrigo yellows ... and wound up getting 'Sauterne' instead of the 'Cadmium'. The Sauterne is a little less orangey, but is still a very high voltage yellow. She LOVES it. Also caved and bought some 'Apple Green' laceweight to make a shawl for our youngest daughter (and last kiddo) for her HS graduation in May. She loved that color, and it suits her to a "T".  All my knitting is going to look as though I am making OSHA-approved safety garments!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glass Blowing: How to Marver
Glass Blowing: How to Gather
Glass Blowing: How to Re-Gather
Glass Blowing: How Color Is Applied
Pottery: How to Make a Planter Pot
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...