A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,527
Currently Running With Scissors:
340 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mrs. Darcy KAL  (Read 49994 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rain
Teal Turtle Queen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2007 10:32:59 AM »

I finished mine about a week ago and just added some more buttons now (half of which look a bit off since they don't have proper button holes). Also, the yarn I ended up using for the sleeves is slightly darker than the body of the sweater. Yeah, lots of cleverness on my part.

I used Phentex Merit in Dusty Rose/Pale Plum and used size 10 needles instead of 9s.

All in all, it's not the most attractive thing I've knit and will probably end up as something I only wear around the house. It was fun to make, though, and I might have a go at making a nicer, all-in-the-same-colour version in the future.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

peps

Knits with Cat.

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2007 11:19:31 AM »

Looks good, Rain.  I like all the extra buttons you added - it gives the sweater a completely different look.  And I think a lot of us are planning to knit a second "better" sweater now that we have the hang of it, so welcome to the club.  Smiley

I've been working on swap stuff lately, so I've been neglecting my one-armed Mrs. Darcy.  But, yesterday I spent about an hour in the button aisle at Joann's and now I'm totally energized to finish this puppy up.  As for buttons, I picked out about 15 fabulous styles that I liked.... then narrowed to down to 3 styles to show around and get input.  If I can't make a decision, I could always just use one of each, right?? .... lol  They had a lot of really cool military-inspired buttons (like the brass anchor buttons on peacoats) and I kept veering towards those, but I ultimately decided they were too bulky and the sweater is too feminine for them.  But I still included one set in my final three.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy
my knitting blog
my ravelry
Any B or C liners in the Boston area up for a knitting circle?  PM me.
Glaistig
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2007 04:08:53 PM »

Rain, the dusty rose color is so pretty! I too like the extra button modification.  Congratulations on finishing!!

Peps, I haven't found any buttons either. I think I want some (leather?) ones like Indieknitter's.

I finished knitting the 2nd sleeve on Monday and hopefully can get it attached tonight. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indie-knitter

new slang, when you notice the stripes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2007 06:00:41 PM »

I love the look that you got from adding extra buttons, Rain!
Glaistig, I used a card of engraved copper buttons that I found at JoAnns (they're the only good ones that I've ever seen there!) but I'm sure leather would work fine.
As always, I'm eagerly awaiting results or even progress pictures from everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

documenting my addiction to yarn and needles at http://www.indieknits.wordpress.com/

Will personal swap for Interweave Knits Winter '06! Please PM me if you have a copy!
zknits
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2007 06:33:15 PM »

rain - looks great!  i really like the way the extra buttons look...looks like a cut that'd look better on me than the original...hmmm...
z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
knitzalot
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2007 12:05:19 AM »

I'm doing a 3/4 sleeve version for the summer out of the new Cotton-Ease in Berry.  I've made it a little longer and made the ribbing a little deeper.  I also made the v-neckline start higher and I changed the shape a little.  I pinned it together this evening and it looked really cute!  I'm excited to finish.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
peps

Knits with Cat.

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2007 08:27:59 AM »

I love the summery version, knitzalot!  And the berry color is beautiful - I really think this cardigan begs to be knit in a bold color, no?

Be sure to post pics when you get it all finished!

How is the cotton-ease?  I've been wanting to try it, but I can't find it anywhere.  The wool I used is sooooo warm that I'm sure Mrs. Darcy will be in a drawer until winter.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy
my knitting blog
my ravelry
Any B or C liners in the Boston area up for a knitting circle?  PM me.
knitzalot
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2007 08:50:22 AM »

I like the new Cotton-Ease.  Its pretty much the same as the old, which I absolutely loved.  Its perfect for my climate in southern California. This time around, they've done better on the color palette, although I would like to see a burgundy, an olive green, and some more summery colors that are flattering to my skin tone - something similar to Cotton Fleece's palette.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie-knitter

new slang, when you notice the stripes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2007 12:56:04 PM »

I really like the Berry color, Knitzalot! Too bad absolutely NONE of the store's I've searched carry that elusive and beautiful looking yarn.
I'm kind of regretting working my original Mrs. Darcy in 90/10 wool & mohair--I tried wearing it yesterday over a plain ribbed tank and it got uncomfortable and gross after less than 5 minutes! I guess we're at the end of wool-sweater season here in the Northwest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

documenting my addiction to yarn and needles at http://www.indieknits.wordpress.com/

Will personal swap for Interweave Knits Winter '06! Please PM me if you have a copy!
Glaistig
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2007 03:56:30 PM »

Knitzalot, 3/4-sleeves and cotton look perfect for spring/summer.  The Berry version looks like sherbet! Something about a 3/4 sleeve just seems so wonderfully old-fashioned and classic.

Indie-knitter, maybe Lamb's Pride Cotton Fleece would be a good sub for the Cotton Ease for a summer version? It's soft and breathable too.

My goal tonight: weave in ends and try to fix any general wonkiness then bake (block) it. I tried it on last night and, though, more form-fitting than I'm used to, it appears to fit. (Hopefully, though, you gals won't take a look at my pic, shake your head and think of sausage casings.  Lips sealed  Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Cute Bunny Drawings
How to Draw a Puppy
How to Create a Beautiful Koi Fish Drawing
How to Draw a Lizard
How to Illustrate a Palm Tree
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...